• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How do you plan on buying a 4000 GPU? (if you plan at all)

Soldato
yes the 3080 was 650 but then the price went up and up- they were selling and nvidia have learnt from that.
I think they are aware that the market for their pixel-pushers is a LOT smaller than the market was for their money-printers.

Look at what happened to their $2K 3090Ti.

Nvidia didn't drop the 3090Ti's price because they wanted to. The market decided Nvidia had to drop prices if they wanted people to buy them.

Last edited:
Soldato
I haven't bought a GPU since 2016. I wasn't able to get a 3080 at launch and when they finally came back in stock I couldn't afford the prices. I have deeper pockets this year, and I'm certainly in the market for a full platform upgrade, but like everyone else I'm not seeing the 4000 series as particularly compelling as it stands. I was always gonna wait until all of the next gen parts are released and reviewed, but if AMD come out with something reasonably powerful at better prices it's a no brainer.

Soldato
No, I cannot justify spending full price RRP on 2 year old tech.
And seeing as the 4080 is in my view a terrible proposition there's not much choice left is there.
It still offers better performance per $ than any of the new stuff and will also maintain its resale value.

Last edited:
Associate
The fact that it's still selling for £650 just shows what a good card it is for the money, how much will a 4090 or 4080 be selling for in 2 years time? I'd guarantee no where near msrp.

No. Its still selling for £650 because there's no replacement card from nVidia in that price bracket.

Scummy move for sure but what can you do.
I can either stick with my 1080 Ti, grab 2yr old tech 3080/Ti/90 for RRP or get one of the 40 series cards.
And seeing as the 4090 is the only real choice its not much of a choice at all imo.

Who knows, maybe I'll just stick with the 1080 Ti a while longer. I'm not fully decided.

Soldato
Will keep what i have for several years and switch full time to console gaming i think.

£649 for a 3080 and now £1249 for a 4080 is taking the micky in my opinion.

Soldato
I 'might' be able to understand paying £1600+ for a GPU if you were getting Triple A PC exclusive games, doing stuff that the consoles are still 1 or 2 generations away from coming close to, but we're not. All we PC gamers now get are console hand me downs, running at higher resolutions, that are invariably broken and need 6mths worth of patching to get in to a fit & proper state.

There are simply no PC only development studios left to deliver the groundbreaking games of the past.

As it is, I can see this 40xx series launch being the worst Nvidia has ever seen. I don't expect these prices to last long, TBH. The poor (by Nvidia standards) sales will quickly force a rethink on them, I can easily see the 4080 16GB getting a quick price drop in the new year to sub $1K, the 12GB version going EOL to make way for its reintroduction as the 4070 at $699.

..even the 4090s are going to sell in much smaller numbers compared to the 3090, whose sales figures were skewed by people buying them during the mining craze, as nothing else stayed in stock for more than a minute or two.

Pc gaming is what u make of it.

i wanna use a 4090 for
1. triple monitor gaming 4K OLED 55'' + sims
2. high resolution VR gaming once headset comes out
3. geo-11 custom drivers (only select games are compatible with this PC)

PC gaming is still incredible but you need to put work into it sadly.

Last edited:
Soldato
No. Its still selling for £650 because there's no replacement card from nVidia in that price bracket.

Scummy move for sure but what can you do.
I can either stick with my 1080 Ti, grab 2yr old tech 3080/Ti/90 for RRP or get one of the 40 series cards.
And seeing as the 4090 is the only real choice its not much of a choice at all imo.

Who knows, maybe I'll just stick with the 1080 Ti a while longer. I'm not fully decided.

Sell the 1080ti for £250 and grab a used 3080 for £500 and you've gained 70% performance for £250. If you go for a 4090 you'll get around double that performance but for 6x the cost.

Associate
No, I cannot justify spending full price RRP on 2 year old tech.
And seeing as the 4080 is in my view a terrible proposition there's not much choice left is there.
Eh?
How does its age have anything to do with value for money. Just because the 40 series lauches, does not make the 30 or older cards suddenly un-able to play games.

Claiming that the 4080 is a bad proposition, and so the only choice is the 4090 is also a bizarre stance. Neither card has launched. We have seen no real benchmarks.
We havent seen what AMD is going to bring.

You make out like you need to buy a GPU right the very second you can on the 12th October.
Why not wait? Wait for AMD to respond. Wait for the 4080 to actual hit shelves.
Wait to see what happens with reviews. See how well these cards end up performing in the games you plan to play.

In 2 months time, you could still go ahead and buy a 4090 if that turns out to be the best card for what you want. At least at that point you will have data, rather than blind-buying a near £2000 GPU...

Pc gaming is what u make of it.

i wanna use a 4090 for
1. triple monitor gaming 4K OLED 55'' + sims
2. high resolution VR gaming once headset comes out
3. geo-11 custom drivers (only select games are compatible with this PC)

PC gaming is still incredible but you need to put work into it sadly.

I cant imagine even a 4090 is enough to run 3x 4K. Not without help from DLSS or turning settings down...

For point 2.), why buy a GPU for a headset that does not exist yet? By the time it does... who knows what GPU tech is out there?

How does point 3.) need a 4090?

Last edited:
Associate
Going to wait and see myself as my 2070 still plays everything just fine. If a 4060 rolls out at some point that I'm actually able to buy, I'll take another look.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom