how far did you move away

Soldato
I've lived in Portugal, South Africa and briefly in Canada. Back in the UK right now at the place of my birth. I'd like to move to Australia, just need to work out the details.

Last edited:
Associate
Moved around 1.8 miles away from the old family home, mum moved 50 miles away but the old family home is rented out, have been in the old house a couple of years ago in between tenants and its certainly a trip down memory lane 40 years on. The current house i have lived in for 22 years is a stone throw from my other half's parents house, so we both haven't moved far at all when you think of it.

I drive down streets that i used to play in as a kid growing up, it gives a good nostalgic feeling reminiscing to yourself, seeing the places you grew up changing and altering, new buildings replacing old, the local pub you had your first pint in turned into flats, the shop i purchased my first CD :)

Soldato
About 17 miles. Would have gone further south, but the closer to London you get the more ridiculous prices get. For some reason I can't figure out, a lot of people really want to live close to it.

Soldato
Moved around 1.8 miles away from the old family home, mum moved 50 miles away but the old family home is rented out, have been in the old house a couple of years ago in between tenants and its certainly a trip down memory lane 40 years on. The current house i have lived in for 22 years is a stone throw from my other half's parents house, so we both haven't moved far at all when you think of it.

I drive down streets that i used to play in as a kid growing up, it gives a good nostalgic feeling reminiscing to yourself, seeing the places you grew up changing and altering, new buildings replacing old, the local pub you had your first pint in turned into flats, the shop i purchased my first CD :)
I can understand that, I live in the same village I went to primary school in, but it has changed out of all proportion now, with housebuilding. Doesn't really feel like the place I grew up now and I would move at the drop of a hat if I could.

Associate
I've moved a few times in the last few years but still within the Midlands, and only 20 miles or so on average from the village I was born & raised in.

I haven't been back to my old home village in a couple of years now and still thought of it as home for months after the house was sold, but as time has gone on I don't really see it that way anymore due to the changes I've experienced in that time and also with work commitments, as well as old friends also moving away.

I think for what ever reason if I had to move into another city, say if I had to move because of work - I think I'd easily adjust in no time. Though I've always thought of myself moving down to Cornwall when I retire as I love it down there.

Liam.

Associate

That's kind of what I experienced after moving away from my home village the final time a few years ago, everytime I drove through the main part - always brings back the childhood memories. Even when I last drove past the old family home a couple of years ago to see an old neighbour, still had that "I'm home again" feeling in the back of my mind.

Liam.

Associate
I moved about 830 miles from Sweden to Chelmsford, Essex. Got my parents coming over a couple of times a year for a weekend as its only a couple of hours flight back home. Miss some things and people but not feeling much home sick at all.

Soldato
The closest I've lived to "home" in Stoke since I left when I was 18 is about 100 miles but it's currently just over 2500 miles.

I still visit home 2-4 times a year and have done for the past 23+ years so I don't find it to be an issue but it helps (if thats the right word) that, as a family, while we all feel close we're not a very "communicative" one so my Dad & Sister only really speak to me when I'm home rather than phone calls, e-mails or FB etc.

On the other hand my sister has never left "home" (my Dad moved to a new house and my sister stayed in their old one) and she talks to him daily, which would just drive me batty! :D

Back
Top Bottom