How far is your commute to work?

Associate
It's probably been said but 90 miles in rush hour even in predominantly motorway is not 90 mins - more like 2 hours on a good day and 2.5-3 on a bad one.

Me, I cycle 10 miles each way on quiet roads/bridleway 4 days a week. Drive once a week to deliver clean clothes and food. Absolutely love the ride, and with traffic and distance to walk from car parks it takes the same time to cycle as driving.

Last edited:
Associate
Whilst I'm training I'm doing 0900-1700 and have to contend with commuter traffic. The wife drops me off on the school run and it takes just less than 10 minutes to cover a bit less than 2 miles. It takes me 30 minutes to walk home.

I tried the bus the other day, just as an experiment. I haven't used a bus in over 20 years: it stank of wee, cost me £2.30 and took 5 minutes longer than walking.

When I'm on shift for real, I'll be cycling and it'll probably take 5-10 minutes.

I'm fortunate in that I've never had to contend with long commutes. I don't know how people manage it.

Associate
I’m 2 miles from work mostly dual carriageway via an inner city ring road. Takes around 7 minutes. It completely spoils you though, the thought of changing jobs and having to drive even 30 minutes each way is very unappealing

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I commute west Oxfordshire to London which is 135 miles as a round trip. Usual journey time is around 1:30-1:50 depending on traffic.

Not ideal but equally I wouldn’t change it for the compromised salary of a job in Oxfordshire.

Associate
I commute west Oxfordshire to London which is 135 miles as a round trip. Usual journey time is around 1:30-1:50 depending on traffic.

Not ideal but equally I wouldn’t change it for the compromised salary of a job in Oxfordshire.

Different strokes and all that. I’d take the shorter commute and a pay cut. There are very well paid jobs in the Oxfordshire area in my area of expertise.

Associate
25 miles each way. It takes about 35-40 minutes at a steady pace along nothing but A-roads during school holidays. Currently takes 90 minutes in the morning (and 60 minutes in the evening) due to school traffic combined with people commuting to temporary Christmas jobs and people driving at 35-40MPH everywhere because it's a bit dark and damp.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Different strokes and all that. I’d take the shorter commute and a pay cut. There are very well paid jobs in the Oxfordshire area in my area of expertise.
The area which is well paid in Oxfordshire is biotech, my other half worked in this industry for a large American pharma company and was well paid for her area.

I work in enterprise IT though, virtualisation and networking. Ive looked at local jobs and it’d be a monumental pay cut. Leaves me stuck with a lot of driving :) To be honest 66-67 miles each way isnt that bad, it’s the traffic when things go wrong which make it frustrating. When I get a clear run it’s a non event.

Soldato
The area which is well paid in Oxfordshire is biotech, my other half worked in this industry for a large American pharma company and was well paid for her area.

I work in enterprise IT though, virtualisation and networking. Ive looked at local jobs and it’d be a monumental pay cut. Leaves me stuck with a lot of driving :) To be honest 66-67 miles each way isnt that bad, it’s the traffic when things go wrong which make it frustrating. When I get a clear run it’s a non event.
Out of interest how many hours a day do you sleep? Some people have monster commutes buy tend to sleep less!

Currently other week I do about around 120miles (2 to 2.5hours) each way to Wales and back which leaves me knackered! Couldn't be dealing with that every day

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
120 miles each way I am not sure I could deal with either, 66-67 feels on the limit for me. We are looking to move soon slightly closer to Oxford than we are now (a40 corridor though there) which will cut the journey by a few miles/10mins which doesn’t sound much but will help.

Sleep wise, tend to sleep between 00:00 and 06:00 then, leave shortly after that, then home for around 18:00 most days.

My director does a similar thing, he commutes in from a house overlooking the solent somewhere. Similar journey time. One of the others commutes from Southend and another from near Chelmsford. So a few of us do the same thing and have similar commute times.

Associate
7 mile commute. I use London Underground. Journey is about 50 minutes. I read a good novel on my commute. Good stress reliever.

I can drive into work, but prefer not to. There is just too much stress involved.

Back
Top Bottom