How far is your commute to work?

Caporegime
Depends. If it's to the office it's 15 miles and anywhere between 20 to 40 minutes depending if I get stuck behind a dawdler or not. If it's not to the office then it's a half hour drive to the airport or central station and whatever journey from there! Typically though it's the 07:04 to kings cross which takes just under 3 hours.

Last edited:
Associate
10 minute walk to the office normally just over 1/2 mile. Moving in with the other half in the next few months which will mean a 10 mile bus journey which takes around an hour.

If im working in our london office then I leave the house at 6am for a 7:30 flight and get to the office at about 10am. Usually do this once or twice a week which is getting old fast.

/Salsa

Associate
38 miles which most is on the dreaded M6 which has roadworks for smartroad development until March 2019 but as I’ve been doing this stretch for just over 18 years it’s just become the norm.

Soldato
Went from working from home with the epic ~10s commute to working 20.5 miles away, takes 35-45 mins most days, already in 3 months my max is 1.5 hours when a crash blocked the main road, still could be a lot worse.

Associate
Is cycling not an option?
I've thought about it as an option as used to cycle everywhere when i lived in York before some miscreant stole my bike! York was much more cycle friendly!

Two factors that put me off are the office attire is not good for cycling and no facilities at work for shower/changing etc unless i want to do this in a tiny cubicle in the toilet. The other is one part of the route is part of the M621/M1 junction area on the A61/A639 which makes me flinch sometimes when i see cyclists attempting to get through the various lanes with fast moving traffic.

Associate
17.3 miles on the bike, mostly down a paved cycle path alongside the Cambridge to St Ives (mis)Guided Busway. One of the reasons I chose St Ives when moving out of Cambridge to buy a house. I have managed it in just under an hour a couple of times on my hybrid with knobbly(ish) tyres. Since I moved at the end of June, I've done the cycle 93 times, racking up 1646 miles.

When winter comes (properly) it'll be the purgatory of the A14 :(

Soldato
About 350 miles, taxi to airport, plane to Shetland, chopper to work, from leaving the house to arrival it's about 5 hours, only there and back once a month though.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Mines just gone from a 75 mins the train/tube each way to ether a 20 min bus trip if I am in town or 0 if I am working from home.

I couldn't be happier to see the end of using Greater Anglia on a daily bases, not to mention its a saving of 5K a year on travel.

Associate
How far do you currently travel to work and is it a problem?

Potentially looking at a new career opportunity which would mean commuting 90 miles each way to a base 4 times a week.

Hour and a half each way doesn't sound much but I don't know if it would grate over a week?

10 minute cycle for me. Don't need to leave the house until 8:30am in the mornings and get back home by 4:45pm. Ideal.

Soldato
560 miles. That's 430 from home to Bristow's Heliport Dyce. Plus another 130 miles, Bristow's heliport to platform (North Sea).
1 hour 15 mins drive to Manchester airport. 1 hour fixed wing flight: Manchester to Aberdeen, then 1 hour helicopter ride Bristow's to Montrose platform.

Back
Top Bottom