How far is your commute to work?

Soldato
20ish miles each way from bucks to Oxford. Leave Nursery at around 8.50 dont get into work until 10am, normally just after.
Traffic is a joke even post rush-hour, Oxford Council is run by a munch of ****-lords who will never fix the issue despite charging insane prices for its P&R service.

Soldato
normally takes between 45-60min to get to work and 45 to get home. 20miles each way

looking to move house and going to add an extra 15min each way onto my commute which sucks but necessary

Soldato
5 minute walk. I have started visiting one of our other sites, 13 miles away. It can take up to 90 minutes to drive there and find a parking spot.

Soldato
set off at 06:30 - 45 miles, 1hr 5 minutes if clear, 1hr 15 - 1hr30 on way home, get home about 06:45

I didn't mind it when I first took the promotion 3 years ago, now I'm ready to leave and find something closer, 12 hours out of my life every day is starting to grind now.

Soldato
Mine varies as I visit customer sites a lot so I can be all over the place but when I'm in the office it's 120 miles for me, 60 miles each way. Live in Portsmouth, work in Bracknell. I rarely leave the house before 9am and rarely leave the office before 7pm so it takes me around 1 hour 10 minutes each way which isn't all that bad.

I'm used to the 120 mile+ a day trips now though, having been doing Portsmouth to Bracknell for the last 3 and a half years. It doesn't bother me anymore, but at the same time I wouldn't mind something closer. At least being able to work from home occasionally helps.

Soldato
45mins in the morning to do a 34ish mile drive, 50-70mins to come home due to traffic.

Used to live 7 miles from work and cycle it, been doing this journey now for 6 years, 5 times a week.

Soldato
http://www.bbc.com/news/business-41933878

all these times could be reduced maybe if employers were more flexible with working time
Point is valid, however what a HORRIBLY written article.
who compare stats like this

Nearly one in five people aged 18 to 24 said they wanted to start work after 9am, compared with just 9% of those aged 54 to 65.

More than a quarter of London workers also said they would like to start after 9am, compared with just 12% in the rest of South, and 13% in the North.

I can do basic maths so I see how they compare but why, WHY almost 1 in 5, so what 19% then ??grrrr

also where is the graph backing up the stats.

journalism really is dire nowadays (or has it always been this bad and I have only started noticing as I got older ?)

Associate
I used to commute 50 miles each way, if I was lucky it would take just over an hour, but it was more like 90mins most days, the drive itself wasn't too bad but getting back home around 7pm meant you lost most of the evening.

Now work from home, so commute is about 10 seconds :D

Soldato
http://www.bbc.com/news/business-41933878

all these times could be reduced maybe if employers were more flexible with working time

7-3 would be my ideal working hours.

I've just been asked to move offices which means going from a 10 mile each way commute to 23 mile each way, however my current commute is 5 miles of motorway and 5 miles of busy town traffic. The new commute will be 20-21 miles of motorway so the travel time will only go from 20 to 30 minutes.

Still going to request flexibility at least a couple of days a week though though.

Back
Top Bottom