How far is your commute to work?

Soldato
No idea how far it is but takes about 50mins door-to-door in the morning via two forms of public transport (although 25mins of that is dead waiting time). Driving time on a clear day would be about 20mins (but when it's busy can be 1hr) but I don't drive.

Man of Honour
15 yards, I work from home. Having done this for years I could never commute for more than 30mins each way a day. I feel for people that have long commutes and don't get paid for their time.

Associate
Depends which route i take, the main route is 11 miles out the city on the main road normally takes about 15-20mins depending on the road works at the moment.

Soldato
15 miles each way, mixture of town and country lanes. Getting to work usually 20 - 25 minutes, coming home closer to 30 minutes. I generally have 2 routes I'll switch between depending on traffic but we've currently got some roadworks running from September to December on my favourite route and it's adding an extra 15 minutes on my drive home being stuck in traffic.

Soldato
I do about 75 miles each way and it takes 1hr 40 to 2hr. That's car >> local train >> high speed train >> bus >> walk.

I've commuted for 20 years (car and public transport) and have the following advice:

• The quality of the journey is important, more so than the length of the commute up to a point. In a car is it relaxing and congestion free? On a train will you be standing elbows in each other's faces or always get a seat
  • Be clear on the door-to-door time. Parking at a train station for example in Woking, Surrey adds 15 minutes to your journey. At Wye in Kent it's next to the platform and so adds 60 seconds.
  • On your way to work you generally have more certainty than on the way back. You tend to set off at a specific time or catch a certain train. Look at the journey from the way back perspective as worst case and make sure you are comfortable.
Despite my current commute being my longest ever it is my most enjoyable. The bulk of the journey is on HS1 where I get a seat, table and power and the 40 minute is precisely the right amount of time to watch an episode of an 'hour' long American TV show so I boxset binge. the train only shares the track with the Eurostar so nothing breaks down and the line is underground a lot meaning leaves on the line isn't an issue. The local station I get on is surrounded by fields and watching the sheep and birds waiting for a train in the morning isn't so bad. When I get to St Pancras if London public transport is fubared then I can walk to the office in an emergency. All these little things matter.

Last edited:
Associate
Conservatively, 12 seconds.

I live opposite my employer, to the point where I can see into my Chief Exec's office from my upstairs lounge.

It's a dark world out there, dodging the occasional parked vehicle. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom