How long is your commute/Drive to work

Soldato
WFH. Previously was 8.6 miles though city centre traffic.
About 30 mins to an hour depending if I cycled, got the train or drove.
These days I'd find anything over about 40 mins long.

Associate
I changed jobs recently. I've gone from ~50 minutes each way (motorway journey), to 27 minutes each way (local traffic).
It's not all about time though, my weekly mileage has dropped from 395 to 94, along with my fuel bill.

Associate
40 minutes on bus and then a 5 minute walk.

I did drive in for a bit, but the queues as you get closer to Oxford were annoying. The bus can just glide around via the bus lane.

Associate
I used to literally start working from the end of my road when I cleaned streets for my council until June last year,
Then train cleaning in the next town, only 9 minutes on the train after 5 minutes walk to the station. Left due to new contractor, cutting OT rates and generally poor to work for.
Last couple of months last year, I was a parcel sorter for Royal Mail but the depot was over 2 hrs journey, 2 buses and a 15 minutes walk so double that for both ways .
Currently I work a 35-40 minutes walk from home, i get a bus sometimes because of weather and it's physical work, in a warehouse loading lorries, breaking up boxes and baling them and plastic, but the bus is notoriously unreliable so I try to get the one before I need.
The last 3 mentioned all night shifts

Associate
2 hours by train each way. So I am largely working at home now and only going into central london when absolutely needed. Productivity has gone up :D

Soldato
My commute is an hour each way.

I like it, driving into work allows me to focus on what I have going on for the day, then driving home I decompress, switch off to work and tune into home life.

Helps if you have a nice car you like being in also :)

45miles each way btw, out from the Northamptonshire country side to Luton Airport, I think its important to have a place to come home to that you like and feel happy in, works well for the rest of your family and so on.

Plus I love driving which helps :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Short answer: Average about 1hr 40 mins each way.
Long answer: 20 minute walk to station, 55 minute over ground train, 20 minute tube (or 10 minute + 10 minute walk)

On a bad day it can be over 2 hours if you factor in delays. On a dire day it can be a few hours if train cancellations occur or I have to take a weird route like a couple of weeks ago when we had tube strikes.
This is commuting into London about 40 miles out from the square mile. If I could eradicate the 20 minute walk it would help. I could get a cheap bike to help that I guess.

I wfh as much as possible.

I remember when I used to find my 40 minute car commute a drag. That would be bliss in comparison. I used to live slightly closer in to London and right beside the station which helped reduce this a lot. My current commute is only sustainable mentally for me because I am able to work from home about 50% of the time.

Back
Top Bottom