How many hours of lessons did it take you to pass your driving test?

Man of Honour
£10 a lesson?

How old are you!

Mine were £22 a lesson, it started at £18 a lesson. These were 1hour sessions and a 2hour one the lesson before the test :S

Saying that, insurance on my first car was £550 so can't complain :p

Associate
5 and passed first time but I have several years experience on the road through riding motorbikes and I had a fair few hours experience driving cars too. The lessons were to basically teach me the way I had to drive to pass my test.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
3 i think it was.

Get your own car, i learnt to drive that so that i was totally confident even around London's busy streets and all the way through the town centres between Henley-on-Thames and there. You then just need a couple of hours to get used to the way manouvers need to be carried out to pass the test.

The prices people quote for lessons is odd, though. I am sure that mine were £26/hour even back in 2002.

Soldato
How many hours you need will vary wildly depending on how quick you learn and whether you have access to a car other than your driving instructors. The DVLA recommend a minimum of 30 hours of driving to get up to test standard and that's pretty much how many I paid for as I had to rely on lessons only.

Soldato
did about 40 then another 10/20 in my partners car - failed.
changed instructor did about 8 lessons, my confidence went up by 1000% as the instructor was a legend (literally amazing) passed second time with one minor.

the instructor you choose makes a massive difference.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Well, my partner has been driving for 3 years now so I can potentially be insured on hers and learn with her also.

Is it possible for me to practice lots with her, and then only take say 10 hours of actual lessons?

Soldato
Well, my partner has been driving for 3 years now so I can potentially be insured on hers and learn with her also.

Is it possible for me to practice lots with her, and then only take say 10 hours of actual lessons?

as above all depends on the instructor - you really need to find a decent instructor to complement your personal learning and one that has some passion in what they do and aren't all out to get your money - its rare but they are about.

Soldato
20 hours . 1 minor

Like others have said make sure you like your instructor . A couple of those lessons where with a guy who seemed more nervous than me and the rest where nearly all in the same week with a guy who was great

Soldato
5 Hours of lessons and hundreds of simulated laps on F1 games of old (that was for pleasure not to pass the test!).

Passed first time :)

Soldato
I had about 15 hours, that was in 1969-70 at about £1 5s (£1.25) a lesson, test was £1 17s 6d (£1.88p). I passed second time on half day closing in Chichester. No other practise though.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime

Do this. Forget the lessons entirely until you are driving around (with her) without even thinking about it, like a normal driver would do. Make sure you always drive when you need to go anywhere which doesnt need to involve a motorway.

Then get a couple of lessons once driving is a non issue to you as i did. All they need to teach you then is how to present your driving to the examiner.

Back
Top Bottom