How many hours of lessons did it take you to pass your driving test?

Permabanned
OP
Do this. Forget the lessons entirely until you are driving around (with her) without even thinking about it, like a normal driver would do. Make sure you always drive when you need to go anywhere which doesnt need to involve a motorway.

Then get a couple of lessons once driving is a non issue to you as i did. All they need to teach you then is how to present your driving to the examiner which will take a few lessons at most.

Ok cool. Sounds like a plan.

Just to be clear, it is legal for me to drive her car on a provisional with L plates aslong as she is present?

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
If she has been driving for over 3 years, and is 21 years of age, then yes. Make sure you are insured.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
No problem, this is a much better idea than spending countless hours learning the basics of how to drive with an instructor. It doesnt need tuition as there is no skill to normal driving, it just needs practice and confidence building. :)

Permabanned
OP
No problem, this is a much better idea than spending countless hours learning the basics of how to drive with an instructor. It doesnt need tuition as there is no skill to normal driving, it just needs practice and confidence building. :)

Appreciate the advice mate. Will hopefully save me a fair amount of cash.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
The legal requirement in Belgium, which was around 20 hours I think.
But I got my provisional at 16 and 10 months, and then took my test soon after I turned 18.

Associate
Maybe 14 with an actual instructor. I had four not long after I passed my theory test, then I just stopped having proper lessons, 18 months later I had the remainder of hours/lessons and passed first time with one minor.

I went driving with my dad countless times throughout that time, but I just drove around, didn't really do things properly or do any manoeuvres.

The instructor said I was test ready after the fourth lesson, but as I said, I just stopped having lessons after that.

Associate
Errrrm 0, my dad "taught" me to drive. Admittedly it took four attempts to pass but it was certainly cheaper than lessons and I passed after 6 months.

That was 10 years ago so it can be done.

Soldato
Two, one hour lessons for me and the second of those was just before the test

Same for me, but my two lessons came after six weeks of my father making me drive him absolutely everywhere. I must have got 100 hours under my belt in that period.

My father always said he'd teach me to drive and let an instructor teach me how to pass the test and it worked. He also predicted I'd stack my first car within a year and he was right about that too!

VTR

VTR

Soldato
8hrs of lessons, quite a bit more in my own car with family members (Saxo VTR). Passed first time with 3 minors I think it was (plus an accident, someone went into the back of me, my own car too! Luckily no damage, happened on the first round about out of the test centre, thought I had instantly failed so drove very relaxed after that and passed :) Instructor was impressed how I handled the accident, calmly pulling over, hazards on, inspecting veihcles and exchanging details etc)

Associate
I drove my mums XR3i for about a month before having my first lesson, after that only had 2 more lessons at it was time for my test, passed no problem. I'd been driving since my feet could reach the pedals on my grandparents farm mind u.

Man of Honour
I was lucky, I spent a few months with L plates and drove as much as I could (i.e. nearly every day! :p) Though I had spent a few years driving in fields at my grandmother's home in France so knew how to change gear etc...

I also had some cones and a quiet private road where I could practice parking, reversing etc... I then spent 2x2hr lessons before taking my test.

I am definitely not the typical example though.

Back
Top Bottom