Poll: How many push-ups can you do consecutively?

How many push-ups can you do consecutively?

• 0 - 20

Votes: 87 35.7%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 60 24.6%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 37 15.2%
  • 41 and beyond!

Votes: 60 24.6%

• Total voters
Consigliere
Could even be turned into a poll? :)

0 - 20
21 - 30
31 - 40
41 and beyond!

Just curious really to see where I stack up alongside other OCUKers and thought this deserved to be outside of the 'Gym Rats' thread...who doesn't love a classic push-up! :p

I am on week 5 of https://hundredpushups.com/index.html so I started around the 17 mark and hit 32 in a row today.

Man of Honour
Seeing the push-up challenge thing for male mental health all over Facebook at the moment.

Also there is a big difference between "cheats" and proper push-ups - I can do cheats all day long hit 100 easy but proper ones especially with hand release or similar techniques I max out at 25 consecutive and anything past ~12 is a real struggle (EDIT: Just trying now make that 15 before I start to feel it).

EDIT: Think I'm gonna give that program a go.

Day 1 not quite to plan as I already did 20 while trying when I first posted so ignored the initial 10 and struggled to 12 on the next set, did the 7s OK but with only 60 seconds rest between sets hit a wall at 4 on the last one.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Mm lots of different challenges out there! Think this was the origional...started off in the third column but now slowing down to the first. :o

Yeah I think I started it once before but lost motivation around the 3rd week.

I intend to see it through this time as I'm not getting the exercise/workouts I used to into my daily routine any more.

Caporegime
I don't work out and can only do about 8 real ones before its a struggle :/
slowly going up and down in a controlled fashion though rather than letting gravity do some of the work.

I've been planning to start working out again for the last 2 months...but the hot weather tells me I would sweat buckets and feel like crap after.
I actually own weights just never used them in years.

Soldato
Around 17 for me. The first 10 i can manage fairly easily but then beyond that it gets a struggle quickly.

A few weeks back i set myself a small challenge of doing 50 pushups, squats and lunges throughout the day as 5 sets of 10. That lasted a few days, although i do try and do them every now and then, i broke my wrist around 15 years ago and find press ups always put quite a lot of pressure on it. I did buy some of those push up handles but never really used them.

Consigliere
OP
I try it later today. Should be able to do 50 at least.

Impressive!

I don't work out and can only do about 8 real ones before its a struggle :/
slowly going up and down in a controlled fashion though rather than letting gravity do some of the work.

I've been planning to start working out again for the last 2 months...but the hot weather tells me I would sweat buckets and feel like crap after.
I actually own weights just never used them in years.

You would be surpised just how quickly your stength improves - could try the website i posted? :)

Around 17 for me. The first 10 i can manage fairly easily but then beyond that it gets a struggle quickly.

A few weeks back i set myself a small challenge of doing 50 pushups, squats and lunges throughout the day as 5 sets of 10. That lasted a few days, although i do try and do them every now and then, i broke my wrist around 15 years ago and find press ups always put quite a lot of pressure on it. I did buy some of those push up handles but never really used them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE7T6O1F99M

Have you come across these before? Less pressure on the wrist.

Man of Honour
Not sure if I even want to try, used to be able to do 80+ in a minute 15 years ago, I hate getting old....

I'm actually surprised how quickly I'm getting back into shape at 38. I used to do athletics and was in great shape but not bothered in years really - lately felt physically and energy wise more like 50 so decided to do something about it but I've been able to scale back up way faster than I thought - I feel more like 20 again after only a couple of weeks or so.

Soldato
I'm actually surprised how quickly I'm getting back into shape at 38. I used to do athletics and was in great shape but not bothered in years really - lately felt physically and energy wise more like 50 so decided to do something about it but I've been able to scale back up way faster than I thought - I feel more like 20 again after only a couple of weeks or so.
I'm on that journey but have had a back and shoulder injury, so just watching what I eat for now!

Man of Honour
Doing day 3 of that program - really struggling on the 3rd column - I've got an old shoulder injury from playing Rugby nothing major but start to feel it towards the end of each set and makes the last 1-2 push ups difficult. Probably something a physiotherapist could correct :s (kind of odd to describe but I have to hold the final position and find a different set of muscles to finish off with to manage it).

Soldato
I've been gradually doing pushups since lockdown started, I didn't even know this was a thing until now. When you talk of pushups, are we talking chest touches the ground before pushing up? Or one of them like 3/4 down pushups in rapid succession?

I do the ones where my chest touches the floor without actually laying down and resting. I could barely do 10 when I started but I'm currently doing about 20 in the morning and 20 in the evening. After 20, it becomes really heavy on my arms to push myself back up.

Man of Honour
I've been gradually doing pushups since lockdown started, I didn't even know this was a thing until now. When you talk of pushups, are we talking chest touches the ground before pushing up? Or one of them like 3/4 down pushups in rapid succession?

I do the ones where my chest touches the floor without actually laying down and resting. I could barely do 10 when I started but I'm currently doing about 20 in the morning and 20 in the evening. After 20, it becomes really heavy on my arms to push myself back up.

I generally use the military measure where you go down enough the back of your arms and back are level (like 90% down) not necessarily touching the ground.

Back
Top Bottom