How many Raspberry Pis do you have and what are they used for?

maj

maj

Soldato
How have you got this physically set up for pihole? I have a spare r-pi zero and would be happy if I can use it for this purpose.

Connected directly to router via a micro usb to ethernet adapter. I've turned off DHCP on router and use Pi-Hole for it instead as my ISP provided router doesn't allow me to change DNS settings.

Soldato
Connected directly to router via a micro usb to ethernet adapter. I've turned off DHCP on router and use Pi-Hole for it instead as my ISP provided router doesn't allow me to change DNS settings.

Thanks for replying, I'll have a look into DHCP/dns on my router. It's supplied by NowTV so possibly requires this.

Soldato
Have 4 running

PiHole Pi 2 Model B
Openmediavault / Plex Server Pi 3 Model B
RecalBox in Mega Drive case Pi 3 Model B
Picoreplayer with 7" screen Pi 3 Model B+

1.jpg

Man of Honour
Not myself but my brother has a bunch of them as a WiFi mesh - I think they are Zeros using PoE - I 3D printed custom wall mounts for him and probably going to do some custom enclosures for later implementation.

hBM0QtL.jpg

Gonna do updated ones with bevelled edges I think though to match the case.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Now that's an interesting idea - That's not a zero though, I'd guess it's a 3B+ with the PoE hat.

I'll ask him when I see next - I thought he said they were Zeros but I know nothing about it.

EDIT: yeah obviously not a Zero - dunno which version it actually is.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
That's definitely not a Zero in that picture :), they look completely different.

Yeah googled it after you posted - obviously isn't. I'm sure he said he was going to use Zeros originally but maybe before deciding to use PoE.

EDIT: Googling it seems the WiFi on the Zero is pretty low power as well so I guess I misunderstood what he was saying.

Man of Honour
An original Model B and a Pi3 Model B. They were both originally bought for XBMC/Kodi but replaced with a Roku after moving to Plex.

The Model 3 then ran an I2C OLED mounted in the dash of a car as a multifunction gauge reading data over serial. That was then retired for a Teensy 3.2, while on paper nowhere near as powerful the move from Serial to CANBUS for the data and instant boot time makes the whole thing a lot more slick

Man of Honour
I'd guess it's a 3B+ with the PoE hat

Confirmed it is the 3B+ - he isn't overly happy with the setup at the moment as apparently only an experimental version of OpenWRT is supported so he is still on the fence on what to use for the mesh.

Associate
Its utterly rubbish for pihole.
The zero's have no wired lan capability, the zero-w is the only one with built in wireless (and i dont want all my dns queries handled by a wireless connection)
You will have to get a usb to lan adaptor, which uses the woeful slow usb on the old pi's - fortunately dns is not traffic heavy so it will cope.

Far far better off with a 2 or 3 ect as they at least have a lan port.

Back
Top Bottom