How many Raspberry Pis do you have and what are they used for?

Commissario
OP
Its utterly rubbish for pihole.
Oh you do talk garbage. I've got around fifty clients running through my two Piholes and they work absolutely perfectly. One is using a USB to ethernet adapter and the other is wireless. Nobody knows which one they're using, dns lookups are so small and quick that it's utterly irrelevant.
When I ping the wired one, the response is less than a millisecond and the wireless one is around 1.3-1.5ms.

Associate
I aint talking rubbish i never said it couldnt do it, what i am saying is the zero does not come with wired network connectivity which makes it a rubbish buy for a pihole box as you need to add a usb network adaptor.

I am well aware of how much resources pihole requires, i am running it on a VM after all paired back for only just what is needed.

Commissario
OP
what i am saying is the zero does not come with wired network connectivity which makes it a rubbish buy for a pihole box as you need to add a usb network adaptor.
And I'm disagreeing and offering evidence that you don't need to add a usb network adapter because it works perfectly well without one. Are you seriously saying you'd notice a difference in performance from wired to wireless of less than one millisecond?
I don't disagree that wired is generally better than wireless but to say "it's utterly rubbish for pihole" is inaccurate. It's such a light load and passes so little traffic that it doesn't matter a flying hotspur whether you use wired or wireless.

Associate
Clarification, it was the Pi zero W I've bought.

Just wanting a cheap option to play around with for pihole and seems to be plenty of reports suggesting it's capable enough for that purpose.

Worst comes to the worst I can repurpose and use for some other project.

Commissario
OP
I sort of guessed it would be - You can still get the original Zero but I can't imagine they sell many of them nowadays. It will work perfectly well for you, you won't have any issues with it.

I would suggest that you install Raspbian Stretch rather than Buster though. They've provided a quick incremental patch for Pihole to work with Buster but they don't describe it as being fully compatible yet. Once it is, I'll reimage both mine to Buster.

Soldato
I'm just wiring up my kit car, which is supercharged and running a custom ECU.

I have access to a Pi or maybe 2, probably V2&3, it's been a while but one was running retropie.

The ECU has apps on Android for readouts or there's a Windows program for actual tuning.

Thinking ahead, if I wire one in so it's ignition switched to come on, where would you go with it, mainly as a nav/tuning/Bluetooth comms (it's an open wheel, open sided car so helmets will be a must) or am I actually just better off using a stripped down Android tablet?

Commissario
OP
If you're continually turning it off just by cutting the power, you're almost guaranteed to get SD card corruption at some point. They're a lot better than they used to be but it will happen at some point. Unless you can cleanly turn it off then I wouldn't bother about a Pi. As it happens, it is fairly easy to configure a switch via the GPIO pins that will send a shutdown command and if you're happy to fit one (and remember to use it) then yes, go for it. I don't know what you'd use it for though.

Man of Honour
I'm just wiring up my kit car, which is supercharged and running a custom ECU.

I have access to a Pi or maybe 2, probably V2&3, it's been a while but one was running retropie.

The ECU has apps on Android for readouts or there's a Windows program for actual tuning.

Thinking ahead, if I wire one in so it's ignition switched to come on, where would you go with it, mainly as a nav/tuning/Bluetooth comms (it's an open wheel, open sided car so helmets will be a must) or am I actually just better off using a stripped down Android tablet?

Edit: totally misread the question.

I used one for a while to drive a small OLED display with live data. Boot time etc made it quite annoying. I'd go down the Android Tablet route

Last edited:
Soldato
If you just wanted a multifunction gauge type thing for ECU data and wanted to ignore the media side I have some spare PCBs for the Arduino/Teensy based CANBUS controlled one I have in my MX5

TBH I'm not sure where I'm going yet, but while I'm building the loom I want to build some flexibility in, so I'll run a couple of feeds for USB charging to the rear for a go pro type thing + spare and I'll have 2 or 3 to the front for charging phones, sat nav and virtual dash etc.

Associate
Currently just the P2 running PiHole, powered by my router USB port. Really can't fault it.

I'm interested in picking up a P4 for a few tinkering ideas, if only I could create some time to do so!

Soldato
I have a 3 Model B and a 4 (4GB) at home.

The 3B was running Pi Hole, Sonarr and Radarr. The 4 is replacing it and it will perform the same duties in addition to hosting a plex server.

Associate
Currently have a 2b running Rasplex in the living room and a 3b+ with a TVhat in the office. Need to update and expand to enable a plex media player in the bedroom (Sony have pulled the Plex app from their Bravia range) so am looking to switch my Plex clients over to Kodi with the Plex plug in for both TVs. Added bonus is that i can run the living room Kodi/Plex client through Retropie and have a retro game system to school the children :D

Also need to get a pi-hole back up and running and am liking the idea of running two so that there is redundancy (when my 6 year old pulls the plug on one of them 'cos she's a git). is there a way to sync the two instance of pi-hole so you only have to manage one white list/black list?

Commissario
OP
is there a way to sync the two instance of pi-hole so you only have to manage one white list/black list?
Not officially, no. I've seen it discussed in /r/pihole but there's no solution I've been happy with. I just make sure that if I add anything to one of mine, I add it to the other one as well.

Associate
No i dont think there is a way.
You could do what i did though, use a microserver and a VM to host your pihole (and whatever else) - esxi is free from home users and you can backup your Vm's, heck if you want to go all out there is all sorts of redundant configurations available.

Commissario
OP
I use the x86 version of Raspbian Stretch for my 'dev' Pihole, the one I test things on in a VM. It works really well but that's hardly surprising considering the resources behind it.

Man of Honour
Not officially, no. I've seen it discussed in /r/pihole but there's no solution I've been happy with. I just make sure that if I add anything to one of mine, I add it to the other one as well.

As the blacklist and whitelist are stored as text files a really simple bash script to sync the two with rsync over SSH then restart the dns portion of pihole

Back
Top Bottom