How much did it cost you get married?

Soldato
too much, its a complete waste of money in my eyes. some will not agree with me but you are starting out your life and throwing money away on a party is just not the smart thing to do.

Soldato
Can't remember the exact figure but it was well under 1k. For us, being married was more important than the act of getting married so we didn't really want a big do or a fuss. We had 6 guests (Immediate family only) at a registry office then went to a local nice restaurant for a meal. Other than those invited no-one else even knew the wedding was happening. Later in the year we had a small party to allow friends and extended family to celebrate our wedding with us.

Soldato
Can't believe how much some of you unfortunate sods have had to blow on your weddings. I'm getting married in August, it's looking like it's going to total about £3k or so, which is still more than i wanted to spend ideally.

Missus was perfectly happy with a cheap ceremony, so doing that the registry office, which i think is about £250. Her Dress is £500 + £150 for alterations and "accessories". The suits for me and my fellow merry men are about £450 in total. The reception location + food for 35 people is about £1600 (includes hog roast for up to 100 people arriving later in the evening)wedding car was about £100. Photographer is free / maybe buying him something for his camera (friend)

Sure there's some other costs I'm missing there so just over £3k probably stretching to £3.5 by the time we're done. Feels like a huge waste of money on what is essentially a big party and a name change. Not that I don't look forward to it and want it to be special, but we've been together 9 years already and have a 5 year old to show for it, so it's not going to "feel" any different. Especially considering I'm saving to own our own house (we have a mortgage on a flat which we let out, but no where near enough equity to buy a house yet)

too much, its a complete waste of money in my eyes. some will not agree with me but you are starting out your life and throwing money away on a party is just not the smart thing to do.

I completely agree!

Associate
A budget of £7k would be very hard to meet I reckon unless you make some pretty drastic savings (registrars office, friends providing services such as photography, cake making, etc).

As others have said, the easiest way of cutting the cost is having less people attend. It works out about £70-£80 per person so each person you don't invite saves you a fair chunk of cash! The way I thought when planning it was would I really invite them to a restaurant that I was paying for at £70 per head. You suddenly realise that your soon to be mother-in-law's friend's husband's daughter isn't all that important. :p

We had 62 people to the day and then 110 at the night and came in at about £11k. Because we'd been ruthless with the inviting, every single person there was very close to us and we only had a couple of people who were invited not show up due to illness at the very last minute - even to the night! Normally people invite lots of people and quite a few don't show up - a big waste of money.

I have a very detailed spreadsheet showing exactly how much everything cost if it is of any use to you. Might make you realise things you'd miss or allow you to identify areas you could save in.

Last edited:
Soldato
I just can't justify spending £20k+ for one day, can anyone who has done this (from their own pocket, not their parents) really say it was a good use of the money? My girlfriend wants to get married but we both agree we'd prefer £20k on the house, the compromise we have is that she gets a nice engagement ring which is fair enough.

One of her friends spent £18k on the wedding and the groom called it off 2 days before!

HEY! Moxxi and I, err, I mean, my car and I, wait no... Me and my car, are not married! :mad:

Why are you so weird?

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

£3k inc honeymoon (2003).

Church wedding (£450), wife found a great dress in a charity shop (£40 + £30 alterations), simple gold band wedding rings (£150), my suit (£100), my Mum and Dad "gifted" the wedding cars, reception at local venue (free if bar takings went over £1500 - which was easily met), 70 sit down guests for carvery (beef, gammon and salmon + trimmings) £850, bottle of red and white wine on each table (£150), 250 guests total for the evening do. Total wedding cost was £1800 then spent the remaining £1200 on the honey moon (all inclusive to Elenite, Bulgaria when Bulgaria was cheap to go to). Allowing for infaltion that's £4500 today.

Freinds/family still say it's the best wedding they've ever been to - and that's after MUCH more expensive weddings thrown since.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
In total we spent close to £8k and we had a great day and a lovely honeymoon (married 2013).

Weddings can be as cheap or as expensive as you want them to be. We saved fortunes by having the cake and photographs done by a family member and we also used fake lapel flowers and we did all of our own invites as well as table dressings etc etc.

Ebay is great for this sort of thing - you can save a fortune because 9 times out of 10 the cost of everything wedding orientated is already inflated if you go through proper wedding retailers. Example - we chose fake lapel flowers and bought enough for all our guests from an ebay outlet and it came in 6 times (yes 6) cheaper than real flowers from a florist.

We had two weeks in Greece on honeymoon including spending money in that price too.

Our original budget was 5-6k and no honeymoon, but at the last minute I had a lot of overtime come in so I used it to pay for the honeymoon. Happy days :)

Permabanned
Horses for courses, its not that much money. We were 31, already on our second house, no kids, both professionals.

Dress was 4k for a start.
Booze(champagne for reception, champagne for toasts, table wine, free bar all night) few grand
Venue hire, couple of grand
Food for dinner and evening, few grand
etc etc

Doesnt take long to rack up the costs.

Nothing wrong with doing it on a budget, been to tons of weddings and however much they cost they were all good fun. :)

Soldato
I just can't justify spending £20k+ for one day, can anyone who has done this (from their own pocket, not their parents) really say it was a good use of the money? My girlfriend wants to get married but we both agree we'd prefer £20k on the house, the compromise we have is that she gets a nice engagement ring which is fair enough.

Of our £18k cost, We paid £15k ourselves.

At the time we were earning enough above our outgoings that we saved that £15k in the 18 months between buying our house and the wedding itself. It didn't seem that big a deal really.

Now, with two kids, a much bigger mortgage, and Mrs Cheesyboy working part time, I do look back with a little regret. That's revisionism, though - it was fine at the time.

Back
Top Bottom