How much did it cost you get married?

Soldato
Damn price of weddings is something that puts me off wanting to get married in the first place. Ridiculous as that may sound but I really see it as pointless spending all that money on ONE day! The reason I would want to get married is to show my ultimate commitment to my partner, not be fleeced by one company after another all because what you are purchasing is for a wedding.

Call me Mr grumpy guts but I'd rather have the cheap registry office venue then spend all the money that would have been spent on the rest of that ONE day travelling around the world and gaining far more memories and fun experiences for around 31 days, might be more destination dependent!

Hear hear!

From another misery guts who is shocked at the ridiculous cost of these things :p

Soldato
A lot less than people pay to get married at one of those hotels where they do multiple weddings in a day.

We had:

Custom 1960's Buick stretch limousine.
Wedding ceremony in a Victorian Railway Station
Our own steam train to take guests on a trip.
Three carriages for dining, one as a bar and one for dancing.

Don't know the exact costs and my parents and my in-laws paid some but suffice to say it didn't break the bank and was an unforgettable day - unique.

Oh and it was decades ago so any actual £ costs wouldn't be comparable anyway. :D

My main point is you don't need to spend a stupid amount and you don't need to invite every goddamn member of your family and their dog. It's the bride and grooms day.

Caporegime
Christ. I've been working for 6 years now and have 25k to my name. No way is that getting blown on a wedding.

Agree with this sentiment, it's amazing how much people blow on a wedding, one single day, when the money would be so much better spent on a hundred other things. I know a guy who spent over 50k on a wedding, and he is not exactly rolling in it (though he did have help from wifes parents). The mind boggles.

PS: Yes I do understand the notion of romance and general female psychology, but still...

Soldato
I'm getting married in just under 2 months - the entire day (food, venue, drinks, dresses, cars, 3 new suits, cake, hair, makeup, music etc....) is coming in at roughly £4k and the honeymoon is going to cost roughly £10k.

Soldato
The entire day for less than a grand :)

Honeymoon cost about £3k mind...which we paid for none of as this was paid for by the wedding gifts which we had asked for donations towards :)

Associate
Got married a two months ago, neither of us are religious but wanted to get married somewhere we were both happy with. Didn't want anything too formal so got married at 5pm at the venue but could only have 20 people in the room with us but the setting was ideal, then at 6pm another 80 guests arrived and we partied the night away.

Total cost was approx £8k.

Man of Honour
It was 1980.

My suit £30
Her dress £50
Her ring £22
Registry certificate £10 but I still owe my Dad
A meal for 30 at £2.50 per head
Got the Nightclub and all the entertainment for free (I had a disco and about 5 bands performed several songs each)
All the evening food was free.
Photographs were free
Video was free.
The Honeymoon cost about £80 each and we got on a coach touring around WWII sites in Europe.

We're still together so it worked.

Soldato
It was 1980.

We're still together so it worked.

...and I thought I was an old man who got married ages ago... Still shows that the OCUK lot aren't always right about marriages though.

Hehe I was messin', but you can never be 100% sure judging by the divorce threads on GD :eek:

I've been hugging my computer for the last ten minutes. Don't put that kind of fear into me again!

Soldato
I think if you start the rest of your life together with some £25000 gesture, then I guarantee its all downhill from there.

I find the whole thing a massive money wasting exercise. £25k could build a modest extension on your house. It could probably feed ya kids until they are about 16.

It kinda makes me rage thinking about it. Which is not ideal because my GF would love to get married :)

Soldato
My wedding was dirt cheap as I said.

I'm not paying for people to get drunk start fights and **** off the wedding which is normally what happens.

As a wedding photographer for 5 years I can't say I've seen a single fight, maybe you're just hanging with a bunch of ******! ;)

My wedding and honeymoon came in at around £19-21k I think. We wanted a big day. Although I remember posting that fact on here before and getting slated for it because it was pointless and that my wife must be a materialistic trollop. :rolleyes:

I just assumed they were either poor or jealous! ;p

On a side note though, if I was to do it again i wouldn't pay so much on the day and spend more on the holiday. Nothing wrong with a cheap or expensive wedding in my book, I've photographed them all and they are all special in their own way (apart from that one where the B&G never smiled and got divorced 6 months later).

A wedding is about the couple, doesn't matter what anyone else says :)

Man of Honour
I think if you start the rest of your life together with some £25000 gesture, then I guarantee its all downhill from there.

When you think that 2 out of 3 marriages (or is it 1 out of 3) will fail it makes a mockery out of it.
If two people really love each other then do it for peanuts like me and maccapacca did.

Back
Top Bottom