How much do you spend on food a week?

£35-40, that's for two people, we eat very well, cupboards and fridge freezer full, fresh fruit and veg, that also usually includes a bottle of wine or some nice ales, we cook a lot of our own food also.

We do a round trip once a week as all the stores are practically on our door step, rough estimate, Asda 20%, Sainsburys 10%, and Aldi 70%, Aldi helps keep the bill down a lot but I wouldn't like to live on produce from that store alone.

When it comes to shopping common sense usually prevails, try to stick to good offers, stock up on stuff that's going cheap even if you don't need it right away, and most importantly try out 'cheaper' products, they won't always taste amazing, but there are plenty out there that easily match the named brands, sometimes even better, don't just right off all cheap food, I like good quality food like anyone, experiment and get to know and understand different products out there, don't just trust a name or advertising.

This may sound odd coming from a vegetarian but don't forget about using your local butchers or deli counter, the good thing about them is you can order exactly the amount you require, no wastage, and often much better quality and usually only marginally more expensive, or less if your prone to wastage.

Soldato
I live off ALDI 49p Pot Noodles and 89p Rustler Burger clones. Sometimes I have one of their 89p frozen lasagne ready meals too.

Weekend I pig out on takeaway pizzas and kebabs. :)

Associate
I'd estimate I spend approximately £35-£40 on food a week on average. That doesn't include the price of any restaurant/ take away meals I get though. Just the supermarket shop.

Soldato
Went to Aldi this evening – £22 for two adults for the week (Mon-Fri), not including wine.

We eat very well – freshly cooked meals, plenty of fruit and veg.

We'll spend a bit more for the weekend so £30 is about right.

Anyone saying that's not possible isn't shopping smart - it's not that hard.

Soldato
About £20 a week tops 2 adults and one child.

It just goes to waste, I don't eat much my daughter eats healthy, my missus eats healthy.

Basic shop a week is salad, fruit, ham, bacon, cheese, eggs, soup and beans.

Bread and milk is a daily thing and so is the bloody cat food. :mad:

You don't need loads of food, we have loads of spices and ingredients to make nice food from a piece of anything. ;)

Caporegime
£35-40, that's for two people, we eat very well, cupboards and fridge freezer full, fresh fruit and veg, that also usually includes a bottle of wine or some nice ales, we cook a lot of our own food also.

We do a round trip once a week as all the stores are practically on our door step, rough estimate, Asda 20%, Sainsburys 10%, and Aldi 70%, Aldi helps keep the bill down a lot but I wouldn't like to live on produce from that store alone.

When it comes to shopping common sense usually prevails, try to stick to good offers, stock up on stuff that's going cheap even if you don't need it right away, and most importantly try out 'cheaper' products, they won't always taste amazing, but there are plenty out there that easily match the named brands, sometimes even better, don't just right off all cheap food, I like good quality food like anyone, experiment and get to know and understand different products out there, don't just trust a name or advertising.

This may sound odd coming from a vegetarian but don't forget about using your local butchers or deli counter, the good thing about them is you can order exactly the amount you require, no wastage, and often much better quality and usually only marginally more expensive, or less if your prone to wastage.

35-40 quid for two people including wine and ale as well as using local butchers and grocers?

Pull the other one mate :p

Caporegime
About £20 a week tops 2 adults and one child.

It just goes to waste, I don't eat much my daughter eats healthy, my missus eats healthy.

Basic shop a week is salad, fruit, ham, bacon, cheese, eggs, soup and beans.

Bread and milk is a daily thing and so is the bloody cat food. :mad:

You don't need loads of food, we have loads of spices and ingredients to make nice food from a piece of anything. ;)

Lol

Soldato
£25-40 per week for 2 adults.

It's perfectly doable without resorting to smart price meats.
We eat well with plenty of fruit and veg, no ready meals.

Would you mind giving a rough breakdown of the meals you make with that? I'm not trying to be a ****, it'd be genuinely helpful to get an idea for cheap meals.

Me and the missus average £60 a week. That's breakfast lunch and dinner 7 days. I suspect a lot of people with the lower spends either don't eat certain meals or get takeaways/eat out which they're not including in the spend.

Last edited:
Associate
£10 lunch a day and probably eat dinner out twice a week at around £30-£50 per occasion. The other days I cook at home. So around £200 a week.

Back
Top Bottom