how much is your house insurance

Soldato
I think if I had £15000 I could buy back everything that’s valuable to me.
Just totted everything up as follows...

Samsung QE55Q70RATXXU 55” TV £986.50

Sony HTSS360.CEK 5.1 ch Home Theatre System £297.86

Sofa bed estimate £600

Leather couch estimate £500

Greenworks GDC40 Cordless Portable Pressure Washer £124.99 + Battery £99 + Charger £49.99

JTX Cyclo 6 Exercise bike £569

Minky Trio Concertina Plus Clothes Horse £20.83

Sanyo EM-G255AW 17 litre 700 watt Touch Control Microwave Oven £45.83

Bosch WAN28282GB 8kg Series 4 Washing Machine 1400rpm £392.95

Sovereign Small Fridge/Freezer estimate £300

Belling Cooker estimate £500

Oral-B Electric toothbrush and spare heads £408.64

Philips Shaver Series 7000 Dry and Wet Electric Shaver for Men £120.61

Kenwood Vacuum cleaner estimate £50

Gibson Les Paul Studio Electric Guitar £824.64

Orange AMP £419.53

Majority Shelford DAB Radio £39.33

Maidesite Standing Desk £144.99

Gaming PC
Motherboard, RAM, CPU, Cooler £1189.60
Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe Gen4 NVMe Internal SSD £143.94
Corsair MP510, Force Series, 1920GB M.2 NVMe PCIe x4 Gen3 SSD £207.49
MSI Radeon RX 7900 XTX GAMING TRIO CLASSIC 24G Graphics Card £804.71
EVGA BQ, Semi Modular, Black, 750W PSU £58.32
Fractal Design Torrent Case £158

LG 27" 27GN950-B 3840x2160 4K NANO IPS 144Hz Monitor £634.74

ASUS ROG Strix Scope II RX Gaming Keyboard £126.86

Logitech G PRO X SUPERLIGHT 2 LIGHTSPEED Wireless Gaming Mouse £126.86

Corsair T3 RUSH Fabric Gaming Chair (2023) £192.49

Acoustic Energy 2.1 Speakers £87

Sony DSLR-A200K 10.2MP Digital SLR Camera £233.83

Panasonic HS700 Full HD 1920x1080p (50p) Camcorder £814.21

iPhone 14 Pro Max 1TB £1498.33

Samsung Galaxy A34 £205.62

24" iMac (Aluminum, Early 2009) / 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo £1311.63​

Sony PlayStation 4 500GB Console (Black) £291.66​

Ctek XS800 - 12v Battery Charger & Conditioner £32.94

Total £14612.92

Last edited:
Soldato
mine last year was £240, renewal was £329.................. so i moved and tied in with my car insurance, paid a few quid to get me through to car renewal and now my house insurance is........... £358 :D

so moving away from old provider has not worked out so well.... even so tho it is better cover so have accepted it. (i haggled them down from £392)

Soldato
Aviva policy, at least is new for old, so values should probably be modern replacement cost - unlike car insurance, where don't get a new car.
Aviva has been unlimited value of contents for at least last couple of years, so don't need to add up contents.

Soldato
Forgot to add a single bed, I guess that would be around £300 bringing the total up to around £15000. Some of my stuff is obsolete though and no longer worth what I paid.
You forgot to add every single item of clothing, shoes, coats, toiletries, food in the cupboard/fridge/freezer, bottles of booze, documents (everything in your wallet, passport, driver's license), replacement cost of photos, memorabilia, media (blurays/CDs/vinyl/computer games)...

It's a good exercise to do and it can often help you realise what's truly important in your life (important, as opposed to valuable).

Soldato
You forgot to add every single item of clothing, shoes, coats, toiletries, food in the cupboard/fridge/freezer, bottles of booze, documents (everything in your wallet, passport, driver's license), replacement cost of photos, memorabilia, media (blurays/CDs/vinyl/computer games)...
Out of that lot the only things I need would be clothes and drivers license. No toiletries, food, booze, documents, photos, memorabilia or media.

Soldato
Aviva policy, at least is new for old, so values should probably be modern replacement cost
I wouldn't replace the obsolete stuff so £15000 would replace most of the stuff I'd rebuy. Chances are I won't need it and its better than nothing. I can always increase the cover to £20000 next year to cover the costs of stuff I've missed such as clothes and carpets/curtains etc.

At the moment I'm happy with £15000 contents cover.

Last edited:
Soldato
If anything, when contemplating insurance cover , I usually think I should dig up/consolidate article receipts, or take photos, but, it's rather tempting providence.

Soldato
If anything, when contemplating insurance cover , I usually think I should dig up/consolidate article receipts, or take photos, but, it's rather tempting providence.
I have got emails going back to 2007 and my Amazon order history. This is how I know the exact cost of my contents. There’s a few things I bought locally that I can’t remember how much I paid for and my bank account transactions don’t go that far back.

For those items I’ve given an estimate based on how much I remember paying roughly.

Soldato
The challenge for me would be how to replace the stuff which i cant really put a value on.
I have an old widebody red ted roadshow pinball table which has been converted to a digital pinball. that cost me £1200 to buy and have put maybe another £200 into fixing it up, but it cant be replaced and i doubt the insurance would agree on its value that it is to me.

same for my arcade machine, built from scratch using MDF, paint and all electronic parts new but from an arcade company. the money is probably about £800 (inc the PC running it) but the time, blood, sweat and beers put into making it............................

i guess i would try to value up as those new ones you can buy ready done...... but then in which case i should have declared them on my policy as items over £1k, but i have no reciepts to prove it.

Soldato
The challenge for me would be how to replace the stuff which i cant really put a value on.
I have an old widebody red ted roadshow pinball table which has been converted to a digital pinball. that cost me £1200 to buy and have put maybe another £200 into fixing it up, but it cant be replaced and i doubt the insurance would agree on its value that it is to me.

same for my arcade machine, built from scratch using MDF, paint and all electronic parts new but from an arcade company. the money is probably about £800 (inc the PC running it) but the time, blood, sweat and beers put into making it............................

i guess i would try to value up as those new ones you can buy ready done...... but then in which case i should have declared them on my policy as items over £1k, but i have no reciepts to prove it.

We have a sort of similar dilemma with my wife's Persian/Exotic cats. They're insured up to the eyeballs for medical bills, but if we were to lose them, there's no way of recovering the time and £thousands it's taken to breed the particular pedigree she's spent 15 years developing (Chocolate Tabbys & bicolours with vivid orange eyes).

It also explains why we've got smoke & CO detectors in every room of the house (and a serious security system).

daz

daz

Soldato
Ours has come in at £1k this year. LV refused to quote for renewal. Only thing I can think of is specified valuables.
Got a few quotes but all between 800-2000.

It's easy to undervalue everything you own - if you had a house fire, you'd want to make sure you can be back to where you were before. Some nice suits, a few coats and 10 pairs of trainers could be a few thousand. When you accumulate these things over time you tend to forget how much you forked out. Let alone things like kitchen appliances, sofas, tables, chairs, beds and mattresses, wardrobes. Even if you bought them from ikea, it adds up quite considerably.

Soldato
Its also easy to overestimate how much your stuff is worth. There is no harm in doing that apart from maybe a slight increase in premium. I have one cheap burton suit and one pair of sneakers which I wear all the time. I've never really been bothered about fashion so don't own expensive clothes or shoes.

Caporegime
Unfortunately and unsurprisingly, mine was considerably more this year, though to be fair, I did add a few additional extras than compared to last year's policy.

I was with Aviva (~£170), but this time went with Direct Line (~£347).

Soldato
My girlfriend informed me one of our chores this weekend is to sort our renewal out. Apparently it was £280 last year and is going up to £400 odd, with Nationwide. 3 bed terrace, west London. Best get on the comparison sites I guess.

Soldato
My renewal came in today and was up over 20% for no reason. Think they are all trying it on to be honest. Same as car insurance. You then goto comparison sites and the quotes are usually 20% down on last year.

Soldato
With LV. They just emailed priming with "Why is insurance going up?" and recent years of claims rising by 50% and their costs up to 70%. Last years was £154; new renewal quote coming the next few days apparently.

e: new quote dropped in today and exactly as above. 21.26% increase from previous year. Comparison site, here I come.

e2: Def a blag. Entered exactly the same details and excess into a comparison site and LV offer the same as existing but for 10.22% increase. However, other results are cheaper than existing but not by much.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom