how much is your house insurance

Suspended
Just had a cool 200% increase from RAC from my home and contents insurance.

No changes to the policy, 10 years no claims (contents) and 3 years on Buildings

Last year was £204, this year £612!

Methinks I will be on the comparison sites shortly.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Just had a cool 200% increase from RAC from my home and contents insurance.

No changes to the policy, 10 years now claims

Last year was £204, this year £612!

Methinks I will be on the comparison sites shortly.

Let us know what you want and up finding. Probably half the cost of that would be my guess.

Soldato
Let us know what you want and up finding. Probably half the cost of that would be my guess.
dont forget to call them and tell them you are leaving. I mean an increase like that i would be tempted to tell them to do one regardless, but it makes sense to get their absolute lowest quote before going fishing for another.

mine increased from iirc £220 to £340. I think i ended up getting it for £300 but that ultimately gave me superior insurance cover than i had previously.

Reactions: TNA
Suspended
Cheapest one I can get that is decent is about £315 with 'Policy Expert Silver' - Anyone used them?

And my insurance last year was £204 + £40 for an 'Intermediary Services Fee' (whatever that is) so it was more like a 150% increase.

Soldato
i used to have policy expert silver. i claimed once on it (fell in the river cambs whilst punting and knackered my phone and lost my glasses, ruined shoes etc). all went without a hitch.

i left them this renewal and tied it all up with multicar policy with admiral (cost a couple of quid more in the end than my best price from policy expert but have slightly more cover now).

i cant knock policy expert however.

Last edited:
Soldato
Cheapest one I can get that is decent is about £315 with 'Policy Expert Silver' - Anyone used them?

And my insurance last year was £204 + £40 for an 'Intermediary Services Fee' (whatever that is) so it was more like a 150% increase.
I took out a policy with them last year & renewed again this year for £50 more after haggling on the phone. I could've got it a bit cheaper with a more well-known provider but the silver policy seems to have a few more bells & whistles fwiw.

Soldato
Just done mine Hastings and it went from £135 to £143, added 2 Tag (both over the £1.5k item limit) watches as I'd forgot to add them last year and it took it up to £162 so all in all not too bad considering some of the horror price rises I've seen mentioned

Suspended
I took out a policy with them last year & renewed again this year for £50 more after haggling on the phone. I could've got it a bit cheaper with a more well-known provider but the silver policy seems to have a few more bells & whistles fwiw.
Thanks

I went via Quidco and ended up with the Policy Expert Gold & Home Emergency Plus, for £290 a year after cashback.

So that is even better than what I found via Comparethemarket yesterday.

Last edited:
Soldato
Your new renewal price:
£636.90
This includes your no claims discount
Last year you paid
£488.80

Lol... (price includes a expensive road bike) It's a bit too early to get other quotes, but not spending over £600 on home insurance when I've been claim free for over 10 years...

Soldato
Cheapest on compare the market is £1,200, and plenty of ones I've tried direct just say we can't insure you. I've not got too many bells and whistles, no expensive single items and just going with the advised contents value of £50,000.

This is with no claims in the 7 years that we've been homeowners. We don't live in a mansion, it's a 4 bed in semi-rural worcestershire. I expect it's just because it's grade II listed and timber frame.

Last year's was £770.

Everyone elses prices seem like a bargain by comparison!

Soldato
I just renewed the insurance at my mums 3 bedroom semi-detached last week for £267 using E-Sure. Building+Contents.

As for my 1 bedroom flat, LV didn't give me a renewal quote oddly this year which had me worried. They had a partnering firm called Gallagher Insurance who us for £318, Contents only. Yeah kindly sod off.

I'll talk to some Meerkats tomorrow.

Last edited:
Soldato
Your new renewal price:
£636.90

This includes your no claims discount
Last year you paid
£488.80

Lol... (price includes a expensive road bike) It's a bit too early to get other quotes, but not spending over £600 on home insurance when I've been claim free for over 10 years...

I went with Tesco for £243, including £3,000 for the bike. It didn't look like it included public liability insurance when cycling so I got this with London Cycling Campaign for £56, who I was thinking of supporting anyway.

Soldato
Tried getting a quote from Tesco online but they wouldn't quote. They gave a referral link to another company, called OpenDirect or something like that with a discount, so I thought worth filling in the form. They rang this morning to tell me what the quote was, yearly premium £4,300 odd. The woman on the phone laughed with me. She said there was nothing abnormal on the form from her perspective and it was probably just due to being a listed building. Farce.

Soldato
Looking forward to my renewal quote which is due end of this month based on some of these prices! :cool:

They rang this morning to tell me what the quote was, yearly premium £4,300 odd

What was your price last year? that is a joke of a price! I'd definitely be on the comparison sites finding out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom