how much is your house insurance

£400/yr (house + contents) used to feel like it was a rip off but our house got hit by lightning a few years ago which damaged the roof and some of my computer equipment. They covered repairs/replacements without issue so don’t feel as bad about it anymore

Last edited:
Mine goes up every year, yet I thought this was meant to end, thus I tend to go with whoever.
Current quote for house and contents from Lloyd's is £426 for a large 4 bed house and specified computer equipment cover for £3000.

Last edited:
House insurance itself is usually not a lot, it's the content that adds to it and how you want it insured. Jewelry, Bikes etc add significant amounts. If I take my bikes off then mine drops to sub £200 for instance.
interesting, I have a few specific items listed, gaming PC, laptop, mountain bike, speakers, etc.

related question, in the case of a total loss event (house fire for example), I assume the insurer wants proof of all of the items that you own, how do you document things like this, is it literally a case of going around the house taking pictures of everything ?

interesting, I have a few specific items listed, gaming PC, laptop, mountain bike, speakers, etc.

related question, in the case of a total loss event (house fire for example), I assume the insurer wants proof of all of the items that you own, how do you document things like this, is it literally a case of going around the house taking pictures of everything ?

Guess like any sort of claim, you'd need to prove it in some way, easier said than done though. I just have pictures of my bikes and jewelry, everything else sits under the contents value which is like £1.5k per item.

Was about £500 last time, I think my next renewal I will take off my bike and/or accidental cover as these added on a significant amount when combined.

£650 a year for a 4 bedroom townhouse in London. Renewed in August and it didn’t seem to go up massively. Maybe it will this year. :eek:

I was looking for our travel insurance documents and whilst searching I saw an email from Axa about our home insurance renewal and that I'd canceled the auto renewal. In August! Don't tell Nationwide! Did a renewal quote and they want £1100. :cry:

I expect it's quite expensive as I added three watches (2x Rolex, 1x Bremont) to the policy in and out of home, might look into insuring them elsewhere if that's having a huge effect.

Thought I saw someone make this thread and looking through it doesn't seem that the price is that bad.

Modern house, 4 bed, nothing else crazy on the policy.

I was looking for our travel insurance documents and whilst searching I saw an email from Axa about our home insurance renewal and that I'd canceled the auto renewal. In August! Don't tell Nationwide! Did a renewal quote and they want £1100. :cry:

I expect it's quite expensive as I added three watches (2x Rolex, 1x Bremont) to the policy in and out of home, might look into insuring them elsewhere if that's having a huge effect.

Thought I saw someone make this thread and looking through it doesn't seem that the price is that bad.

Modern house, 4 bed, nothing else crazy on the policy.
That's nuts man. Rolex tax for all the London robberies? I have 15k of watches declared on mine and it's under 300.

That's nuts man. Rolex tax for all the London robberies? I have 15k of watches declared on mine and it's under 300.
Who are you with? Think I need to go on a comparison site tomorrow, and also look for Top Cashback deals. Pretty sure I've been paying around £3-500 over the past ten years.

Who are you with? Think I need to go on a comparison site tomorrow, and also look for Top Cashback deals. Pretty sure I've been paying around £3-500 over the past ten years.
Admiral. To be fair I'm on multicar/home and car - but it's still never been more than 300.

Historically approx. £10 a month or £120 a year. 4 bed detached in south west. Went up to about £150 this year and couldn't be chewed to chase a better deal.

Get a quote as if you are a new customer. A quote to renew should be equal to or less than a new customer pays for the same policy. I think one insurance company got a fined for flouting this rule.

Last edited:
£120 for the year with Policy Expert, basic Home and Contents on a 3 bed detached, so no specific expensive items called out.

Probably my most expensive things are my PC and my TV, think they'd be covered by the standard stuff though.

Back
Top Bottom