how much is your house insurance

mine with the previous company went from £200 per year, to £4000k per year. i only noticed because we keep our house bank account tight with the exact amount going in as needed each month due to all bills being the same, and then we were short £300 for no reason. insurance said they emailed us so we should know (thanks but emails aren't a good way to guarantee someone knows of an increase of such a crazy amount). in the end they charged like £70 for 2 days inc cancelling charge. absolutely nuts. imagine they increased it to 250k per year and said well as we had 2 days of use before we noticed and cancelled, now we owe them £684 for 2 days usage, up from 54p for 2 days usage. crazy crazy crazy.

Soldato
mine with the previous company went from £200 per year, to £4000k per year. i only noticed because we keep our house bank account tight with the exact amount going in as needed each month due to all bills being the same, and then we were short £300 for no reason. insurance said they emailed us so we should know (thanks but emails aren't a good way to guarantee someone knows of an increase of such a crazy amount). in the end they charged like £70 for 2 days inc cancelling charge. absolutely nuts. imagine they increased it to 250k per year and said well as we had 2 days of use before we noticed and cancelled, now we owe them £684 for 2 days usage, up from 54p for 2 days usage. crazy crazy crazy.

That's got to be worth a complaint sureley?

Soldato
Just had email for my house insurance - up from £179 to £279 - Nothing has changed here so why the increase.

O- I forgot management bonuses.

Soldato
I’ve never had contents insurance before but have decided to get a quote in case the worst happens. Used a calculator to work out value of contents and I figured out £12000 should be enough. I rent and don’t own the property so don’t need to insure the building.

Does this seem about right or am I vastly under insuring, my PC is probably the most valuable item in my flat worth a few grand. Should I have listed that as an item worth more than £1000?

Associate
Got mine through and its gone up from £111.04 to £164.25. The renewal seemed cheaper than elsewhere, so i'll stick to it. Its currently with LV for buildings and contents.

Last edited:
Soldato
Used a calculator to work out value of contents and I figured out £12000 should be enough. I rent and don’t own the property so don’t need to insure the building.

at least with aviva total contents usually in house are unlimited (eg. tv, washing machine, furniture, clothing, desktop gaming computer), it's accidental damage that would rack up the premium from the ~£100 I pay,

laptops/mobiles are personnal possessions though, and need a policy add on, even for cover inside the house, despite a desktop computer being just as nickable; I currently don't have that.
I have personnal possession for pedal cycles outside house, as the only add-on.

e: actually looking at policy docs https://www.aviva.co.uk/faq/home-insurance/ actually all a bit FU

Are mobile phones covered by home insurance?​

Under contents insurance we will automatically provide cover for loss of or damage to mobile phones caused by any of these events whilst in the home:

• Fire, explosion, lightning, earthquake and smoke damage
  • Storm and flood damage
  • Riot, civil commotion, strikes, labour and political disturbances
  • Damage by malicious persons or vandals
  • Collision by aircraft or other aerial devices, vehicles and animals (not including domestic pets)
  • Theft or attempted theft from the home
  • Falling radio and TV aerials
  • Subsidence, heave or landslide
  • Damage caused by falling trees or branches
  • Escape of water
  • Leakage of heating fuel

To cover a mobile against accidental damage in the home you will need to select Extra Accidental Damage cover.

If you would also like to be covered away from home you will need to select Personal Belongings cover.

What is Personal Belongings cover?​

Personal Belongings cover is cover for your personal items (e.g. mobile phone, laptop, jewellery, camera equipment) while you are in or away from your home. Any personal item worth more than £2,000 will need to be specified on your policy.

You can add Personal Belongings cover to your quote in the "Your quote" page.

Last edited:
Don
About £1k a year but mostly down to a few specified items, getting to the point where I'm going to get a more standard policy and a decent safe

Soldato
as soon as you start on accidental damage cover the premiums multiply ..
do now need to ring aviva for clarity on mobile&laptop coverage at home.

Soldato
Well I'm insured for contents, was quoted £151.99 which I've gone ahead with. I've lived here for 17 years and never had contents insurance before. Definitely worth having for peace of mind in case of fire. Should have got it ages ago.

Man of Honour
I was looking for our travel insurance documents and whilst searching I saw an email from Axa about our home insurance renewal and that I'd canceled the auto renewal. In August! Don't tell Nationwide! Did a renewal quote and they want £1100. :cry:

I expect it's quite expensive as I added three watches (2x Rolex, 1x Bremont) to the policy in and out of home, might look into insuring them elsewhere if that's having a huge effect.

Thought I saw someone make this thread and looking through it doesn't seem that the price is that bad.

Modern house, 4 bed, nothing else crazy on the policy.
Honestly, I'm such an idiot. Whilst looking for an Aviva quote to renew car insurance, I saw that I took a home insurance policy out with them when the Axa policy ended. For a lot cheaper than I took out home insurance with MBNA in February! I've cancelled that now, with a refund on the way, but still over £100 down due to my idiocy.

Soldato
I’ve never had contents insurance before but have decided to get a quote in case the worst happens. Used a calculator to work out value of contents and I figured out £12000 should be enough. I rent and don’t own the property so don’t need to insure the building.

Does this seem about right or am I vastly under insuring, my PC is probably the most valuable item in my flat worth a few grand. Should I have listed that as an item worth more than £1000?
General rule with Contents cover: if you take the roof of your house off and turn it upside down, anything that falls out (inc carpets/freestanding kitchen appliances) is counted as contents. Everything that stays comes under buildings cover.

£12k seems a very low amount to replace *literally everything you own*. If there was a fire and you escaped with just the clothes on your back, how much would it cost to buy everything that was destroyed..?

Most contents policies are for an overall amount (£50k, £100k, £Unlimited), with limits for certain items. If you own something worth more than the individual item limit (an expensive watch, camera, laptop, bike, etc) then you list it as a Specified Item. You can then include those items as "Personal Possessions" which covers them away from home - like I've done with my watches & wheelchair. Then if they're lost, stolen or damaged, I can claim for an equivalent replacement, minus my excess (£100).

It's better to over-estimate than be under-insured.

Soldato
Well I asked for £12000 but they’ve insured me for £15000. I think that would cover everything.

You sure? It's not covering what things are worth now. It's covering if you had to replace them with new due to flood/fire/theft/damage beyond repair.
A lot of people have 2K OLED TVs in the lounge plus a bunch of other screens, laptops, tablets, smart phones, various other electronics.
I probably have thousands of pounds worth of tools in my shed.
Bikes.
White goods in the kitchen like fridge, freezer, washing machine, dryer.
2K corner sofa.
All your furniture. Beds and matresses can be ££££.
Carpets.
All your clothes.
Don't forget the Gucci belt collection.
Jewellery.
I'm no rich boy compared to some of the lambo drivers on ere (EDIT: I'm a relative peasant), but I'm insured for like 50K contents I think off the top of my head. It might even be more.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think if I had £15000 I could buy back everything that’s valuable to me. I’ve got some obsolete stuff which isn’t worth anything that I wouldn’t miss. Just a one bedroomed flat, one lounge, kitchen and bathroom so not a lot of furniture.

Soldato
Just got my renewal quote through +50% on last year, up from £287 to £427. Feels a bit crap tbh.
Called up and got the renewal down to £327, crazy how many people wont bother making a phone call and just end up paying the new prices!

Soldato
Mine is due soon. Year before last I paid £310. Last year, I insured with a 5 star defaqto rated insurer and upped the contents cover and individual items. So roughly, accidental building and contents, up to £1mil building, £20k outbuilding, £150k contents, £16k of specified items, basic legal and home emergency cover included. £326.
Forgot to report back. So year before last was £310. Last year was £326. And managed to stick with same insurer this year. Small increase but now at £360. Happy with that. Did some comparisons and this was still the cheapest for the level of cover required. A refreshing change!

Back
Top Bottom