How much Twitch Streamers Make (and the insanity)

Caporegime
first off these kind of topics crop up now and then much bad info about actual earnings is passed about. most twitch or youtubers earn next to nothing or not enough to make a wage. its only the really big people who make the crazy amounts.

the top people are providing entertainment. there isnt that many of them who are really really good so they get good money.

V F

V F

Soldato
first off these kind of topics crop up now and then much bad info about actual earnings is passed about. most twitch or youtubers earn next to nothing or not enough to make a wage. its only the really big people who make the crazy amounts.

the top people are providing entertainment. there isnt that many of them who are really really good so they get good money.

A person who was once little and a nobody eventually became well known and wealthy. It may have taken years but they eventually got there in life no matter what occupation.

Caporegime
the point isnt that i was making the point is everyone thinks every streamer youtuber makes stupid money. most make peanuts. its probably 1 percent or less who make a actual wage out of the millions that do it.

Associate
OP
Just ignore @Psycho Sonny , most people do.

Sound advice.

Seems like some gaming streamers make far more than the most dedicated ETHOTs (maybe that bathwater chick is the exception, can't exactly say I've run across anything other than hearsay and screenshots about that pink-haired gamer girl).

The entire gratuitous yet successful and massively profitable existence of this online economy is the only thing making me feel that another mega-recession is justified and necessary. Money must be taken away from the everyman that is fuelling this BS.

Beyond and above that, I wonder if this is a phenomenon particular to the US. Both girl wise and gamer wise. Mega bucks in the US potentially, yet £50 a week if a Brit tries it.

Soldato
I've spent a while thinking about this in the past, as well as having had a little go at making a YouTube channel (unsuccessfully!)

I do watch people on Youtube and Twitch but have never donated anything save for my "free" Twitch sub I get from Amazon Prime, though usually I just use that for GamesDoneQuick as it's a charity thing and I watch their events each year. I don't really get the people throwing huge sums at streamers etc. either but it's the same as not understanding why some people will spend thousands on bits of "art" that I think look totally awful, or any number of other uses people find for their money that I think is a waste.

As some have already said I really think it's all just about timing, in 2 senses - one for those creators who started before the market was so saturated, and two for those who started trying to do this at a point in there lives where they had the required free time to keep working at it.

If I think back to when I was in school/college and Uni I had tons of free time, even discounting going out with friends I had hundreds of hours a week to muck about playing games etc. Had Youtube/Streaming existed back then and interested me then I can see how it could have been a hobby that developed from there.

Soldato
Sound advice.

Seems like some gaming streamers make far more than the most dedicated ETHOTs (maybe that bathwater chick is the exception, can't exactly say I've run across anything other than hearsay and screenshots about that pink-haired gamer girl).

The entire gratuitous yet successful and massively profitable existence of this online economy is the only thing making me feel that another mega-recession is justified and necessary. Money must be taken away from the everyman that is fuelling this BS.

Beyond and above that, I wonder if this is a phenomenon particular to the US. Both girl wise and gamer wise. Mega bucks in the US potentially, yet £50 a week if a Brit tries it.

Why do you feel so strongly about people making money from streaming? Why is that not okay yet The Rock filming a movie for 6 weeks and being paid $20m is? Why does a footballer earning vast sums not equally upset you? Streamers keep people entertained for hours on and show ads which generate revenue and get sponsorship money on top, why are you against them earning money if they're entertaining enough to have thousands of viewers?

Caporegime
Why do you feel so strongly about people making money from streaming? Why is that not okay yet The Rock filming a movie for 6 weeks and being paid $20m is? Why does a footballer earning vast sums not equally upset you? Streamers keep people entertained for hours on and show ads which generate revenue and get sponsorship money on top, why are you against them earning money if they're entertaining enough to have thousands of viewers?

Pretty much what I said earlier and he ignored it so I wouldn't expect a response.

I think he secretly would have loved to be a streamer and is now mad at those who have now made a success of their lives. He also doesn't take any advice on board.

he seems to think it's now purely an american thing and no brits make any money on it. when evidence suggests anyone can make money on it.

Soldato

Not the OP but I think generally the reason people feel strongly about streaming/making videos is because it seems (note I said seems) like sitting playing games for hours or vlogging about complete nonsense is something incredibly easy to do with very little talent/ability barrier to entry.

A footballer upsets people less because typically they can't play football at a professional level, nor are they a professional actor who could act in a big budget movie. But a streamer/youtuber? It seems so simple and anyone could do it. In reality I think the most entertaining people have to work quite hard, coming up with ideas for videos, editing and so on. But there are examples of people who do not seem to do anything beyond simply fire up the stream and sit and play, not working hard, not trying to entertain explicitly - the most obvious example that comes to mind is that "Lirik" guy; have watched his stream before when he was playing a game I was interested in because he had 20,000+ viewers so I figured "must be entertaining" and he was the most bland uninteresting person to watch I've ever seen. That I don't really get

Caporegime
Not the OP but I think generally the reason people feel strongly about streaming/making videos is because it seems (note I said seems) like sitting playing games for hours or vlogging about complete nonsense is something incredibly easy to do with very little talent/ability barrier to entry.

A footballer upsets people less because typically they can't play football at a professional level, nor are they a professional actor who could act in a big budget movie. But a streamer/youtuber? It seems so simple and anyone could do it. In reality I think the most entertaining people have to work quite hard, coming up with ideas for videos, editing and so on. But there are examples of people who do not seem to do anything beyond simply fire up the stream and sit and play, not working hard, not trying to entertain explicitly - the most obvious example that comes to mind is that "Lirik" guy; have watched his stream before when he was playing a game I was interested in because he had 20,000+ viewers so I figured "must be entertaining" and he was the most bland uninteresting person to watch I've ever seen. That I don't really get

it's likely because he's playing at a high level and people are viewing purely to learn from him.

he will likely sometimes give tips of what to do in certain scenarios or even explain what he's doing to his stream or explain what went wrong and how he can learn from that mistake so next time he wins.

you don't need to be entertaining if you are very good at gaming or a game in particular as people will watch simply to learn.

Soldato
it's likely because he's playing at a high level and people are viewing purely to learn from him.

he will likely sometimes give tips of what to do in certain scenarios or even explain what he's doing to his stream or explain what went wrong and how he can learn from that mistake so next time he wins.

you don't need to be entertaining if you are very good at gaming or a game in particular as people will watch simply to learn.

My take on it is that the most successful streamers are either really good at the games themselves or really entertaining despite the game they are playing. A lot of the successful guys will also turn what they record in their streams into YT content making themselves a bit more money. Although creating and editing these videos takes time so more than likely the guys at the higher end have a team doing this kind of thing for them.

Also lets be honest, not every streamer is making a fortune. Much like other industries there are guys at the top doing really well and making loads but there are far far more randoms at the bottom streaming to 0-10 people. (If that)

Caporegime
My take on it is that the most successful streamers are either really good at the games themselves or really entertaining despite the game they are playing. A lot of the successful guys will also turn what they record in their streams into YT content making themselves a bit more money. Although creating and editing these videos takes time so more than likely the guys at the higher end have a team doing this kind of thing for them.

Also lets be honest, not every streamer is making a fortune. Much like other industries there are guys at the top doing really well and making loads but there are far far more randoms at the bottom streaming to 0-10 people. (If that)

yeah it's pretty obvious they are paying some kid $25k a year to edit their videos. but they make like $50k per video anyway so it doesn't matter.

Associate
OP

I think what we've got with certain mega-streamers is more akin to the 'famous because they're famous' type of celebrities, i.e someone like Katie Price or 'that guy from Big Brother', etc. I've now finished with my brief stint viewing Twitch, but one streamer summed it up well with something along the lines of "Once you get to a certain point of popularity, you've made it. Any randomer coming on to twitch will see someone with 5 digit viewers and will think 'what's this idiot doing that's so interesting?', and there you have it.

Caporegime
I think what we've got with certain mega-streamers is more akin to the 'famous because they're famous' type of celebrities, i.e someone like Katie Price or 'that guy from Big Brother', etc. I've now finished with my brief stint viewing Twitch, but one streamer summed it up well with something along the lines of "Once you get to a certain point of popularity, you've made it. Any randomer coming on to twitch will see someone with 5 digit viewers and will think 'what's this idiot doing that's so interesting?', and there you have it.

No they aren't famous for being famous.

Shroud is famous for well wrecking people on FPS as an ex pro csgo player turned streamer. In fact his hand to eye co-ordination is ridiculously fast it's as if he was born with a mouse and keyboard in his hands.

Dr Disrespect is famous for being funny, entertaining as well as good at gaming. He's put a lot of time and effort and tbh he is better than everyone else at what he does. A bit like an actor playing a role in a movie. Denzel Washington is better than the guy off eastenders (Danny Dyer) so guess what Denzel gets paid a lot more than him.

People have already told you this though. You just seem to be upset that you think it's easy yet it's not. The only easy part of twitch is if you are a good looking female. Just wear revealing clothing and pretend you like games, cosplay, etc. Very simple. For the males though it's a market which is so saturated it's impossible to break into unless you are great at what you do.

You can't seem to comprehend this though. So maybe you should just move on with life?

In other news people who make youtube videos also make millions of pounds. So why the rage with streamers?

Soldato

Not true at all, there are loads of streamers with 1000 subs which when you add in sponsorships, donations, patreon, merch etc, it all adds up to not a bad wage at all. Hardly "next to nothing".

Only the biggest names make the millions though and it's a small percentage of the total streamers on twitch, i'll agree on that. But there are also loads making a decent wage as well.

Soldato
As some have already said I really think it's all just about timing, in 2 senses - one for those creators who started before the market was so saturated, and two for those who started trying to do this at a point in there lives where they had the required free time to keep working at it.

Theres also the people that make some content that is extra special and get noticed from that. Like SovietWomble. He started at a time the market was saturated and he was working full time and editing while on the commute to his job. He got noticed by positing his videos on the relevant subreddits and reddit works by the good content being upvoted, so his Youtube videos became popular from that. He now has 3 million subs on Youtube and gets around 2-4k viewers on Twitch.

Then from him making it, some of his clan mates that featured in his videos also became successful streamers, like Cyanide and Edberg.

Caporegime
Not true at all, there are loads of streamers with 1000 subs which when you add in sponsorships, donations, patreon, merch etc, it all adds up to not a bad wage at all. Hardly "next to nothing".

Only the biggest names make the millions though and it's a small percentage of the total streamers on twitch, i'll agree on that. But there are also loads making a decent wage as well.

right wording is everything. wage. wage a fixed regular payment earned for work or services, typically paid on a daily or weekly basis.

99 percent of twitch people or youtubers dont do that. they dont earn enough to be considered a wage. please dont make out they do when they dont. lets look at the minium avg wage for uk is about £300 per week. as said literally no one is earning that apart from a very small percentage. if you do fair enough but the reality is very few earn a living wage in the whole scheme of youtube or twitch. or not enough to be considered a wage . yes you may earn bits and bobs with can mount up but being able to class it the same as a workable wage reliable each week no.

people are showing extreme egs . shroud dr disrespect. thats like saying every average joe on minimum wage is earning same as a top lawyer. how many of those utter top tier people are there compared to how many people who just generally do youtube or twitch. as said its a very low percent.

if you are good at it do it. be fully committed. if you are a part time casual person. get a job. you wont do anything. you will get more working at mcdonalds than you ever will twitch or youtubing.

problem is every man and their dog calls themselves youtubers or twitch streamers. dc disrespects comment other day summed it up, if you have TTV in your name you unemployed. basically many people call themselves streamers youtubers but are not doing anything or progressing. if you been doing it years and you still got 1-10 viewers. you are not achieving anything. some obviously doing it for enjoyment fair enough but if you think you going to get big and you still cant grab people after even a few months just stop. dont waste your time.

i dont get why people put twitch in their name yet have 1-5 viewers. should be a criteria. we all know these people.

Soldato
I'm not talking about the 5 viewer "streamers", I'm talking about the many, many 200+ viewers streamers that get close to 1000 subs a month. You're making out that there are the 50k sub streamers, then everyone else is making nothing. There are loads of people making a decent living from streaming. They will probably never reach the heights of Drdisrespect etc, but they're making a decent wage.

I don't know the exact % of people making a decent wage and I'm sure your 99% was plucked out of thin air.

Caporegime
same as your many are making a decent living. with no subscribers or viewers. its a small percentage of people of the total base. if you trying to earn a living its not really the thing to do. not when you break it down in simple terms of common sense. its time vs reward or earnings. most wont earn a wage. or make a decent living out of it. the problem is its percieved as you do by many who dont understand think they do. thats why this is millions of people with no real fanbase or subscriber base doing it. as they dont understand the real monitary rewards or what you need to earn a decent earnings from one of the two.

most people would earn far more from a low income job than social media.

Back
Top Bottom