How often do you use a pen or pencil to write?

Soldato
Every day.

• The mortuary book has to be filled in.
  • specimens records have to be filled in.
  • You have to sign for the helipad key.
  • You have to sign for controlled drugs.

Last edited:
Soldato
Every week when I jot down my shopping list. And er, thats about it. Oh and sign in/out for work. Not that anyone reads it but you have to go through the motion.

Last edited:
Soldato
At work -
.signing off what code checks have been done
. Writing my name and/or other colleagues if they want something they seen reduced or keep back something for them. On very odd occasions we get stuff delivered without a date printed - we can't sell them to customers. Write the date on the products (date is on the outer case), write colleagues' names on them and store them in the relevant section in the warehouse. Once I opened a case of chicken pies - had the right chain on the outer, but it had pies with another chain on them.

At home
. shopping lists
. puzzle books

Associate
I like writing at work. Love using a pencil.
I listened to a podcast last week in which it was found that writing using a pen/pencil helps recall better than typing.

Soldato
Just to add to the seemingly majority list of "making notes at work with a pen/pad combo" - A guy who sits near me at work uses windows "Sticky Notes" all over his desktop which, for him obviously makes sense, but for me it just makes my skin crawl (no idea why specifically).

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Pretty rarely apart from writing cards / tags for birthdays etc. Maybe once a month?
I used to make handwritten notes in meetings etc when I wasn't working remotely much but I find I can't read what I've written half the time.

Worth noting my handwriting is pretty poor and slow due to a disability, when I did my Masters degree I scored highest on the exams where I was allowed to sit them on a computer (and no I wasn't looking things up online it was a lab environment!)

Soldato
A lot, found I was much better at my job and it really helped my development to write notes. I have a little a6 notebook that fits neatly in my jacket pocket so I always have it on me.

At home I also write handwritten notes, for learning French, gaming, munro logbook and shopping lists.

I have never found notetaking software to be anything other than to much work to use.

Associate
Following on from a recent thread, I was thinking how often do you actually write using a pen or pencil? Given that we all have phones, laptops or tablets and communicate electronically it is probably declining.

I for one use a pen or pencil to write notes at least 5 times a week. I work in IT but still find pen and paper the quickest way to take notes.

How about you?

Daily, I prefer to write out shopping lists or to-do lists, as a way of clearing my mind. I prefer to record a meeting and type up minutes later, I'd guess i'm 3-4 times faster than hand-writing it. I do enjoy a reason to use a pen, or fancy pencil, but then i do have an unhealthy stationary buying habit!

Associate
If i'm writing i generally use a pen or pencil as i have had all my crayons confiscated. If im typing i use a pc or tablet. I do have a pen to scribble on tablet and laptop but cant be bothered and they dont work with mh uni online markinb software.

Soldato
Hardly ever now to the point my bank didn't believe I was the account holder of my own account as my signature didn't quite match. It didn't match as I couldn't write properly/in the same way.

Man of Honour
At work I generally spend around 2 hours a day going through paperwork annotating stuff, filling out forms, etc. at home I make occasional notes and keep a to do list, etc.

I was using a my Galaxy Note series of phones a fair bit with the stylus to jot notes but my current phones doesn't have a stylus and I do miss it a bit, though it isn't something I relied on.

Back
Top Bottom