how smart has your home gone?

Soldato
Another option to extend Bluetooth coverage in Home Assistant is use an ESP32 as a Bluetooth proxy.

Recently I bought some Bluetooth LE sensors to keep track on temperatures in both the fridge freezers. Bluetooth signal was very iffy for one set and non existent for the other but that's all sorted with a couple of ESP32's.

Total cost for 2 ESP32's and 2 3D printed cases was < £20.
What are they exactly? Can a normal human buy them? :)

Soldato
Soldato
Soldato
I use a couple of ESP32 boards with presence sensors in two locations around the house. I added the Bluetooth proxy option to them and that sorted out the Bluetooth issues I was having with my room temperature sensors.

ESPHome is what’s required and is a Home Assistant add on and very tightly integrated with HA. A bit of research may be required but it’s straight forward with lots of documentation

Associate
A sunnier or damper area than Ron-ski....
What are they exactly? Can a normal human buy them? :)
They're amazing! I did a video that touches on them, seriously worth a look and look at esphome while you're there, super easy and gives you super powers!

D3K

D3K

Soldato
They're amazing! I did a video that touches on them, seriously worth a look and look at esphome while you're there, super easy and gives you super powers!

Thanks for the video, I found it quite useful. What's your suggestion to replacing voice activated systems? Can see how using all the sensors and RFID will solve the majority of it, but I still rely on voice for changing lighting on the fly, setting timers, even asking what time it is if my hands are full.

Associate
A sunnier or damper area than Ron-ski....
Thanks for the video, I found it quite useful. What's your suggestion to replacing voice activated systems? Can see how using all the sensors and RFID will solve the majority of it, but I still rely on voice for changing lighting on the fly, setting timers, even asking what time it is if my hands are full.
Yes totally - the secret is building an array of approaches to suit YOU - ie voice is terrible for quick actions - 'hey google, turn the master bedroom lights off' - took a millisecond to click previously and was 100% reliable, but it's great for more complex queries.

But for voice HA, has ....er voice...: https://www.home-assistant.io/voice_control/

I've actually been really impressed by a lot of it - two examples, it can be context aware - so I can just say 'lights off' and it knows where I am, so will switch the lights off for the room I'm in, this massively simplifies your reliability and makes it so much easier to remember commands.

The other thing is you can integrate chatgpt and the like into it - this is waaaaay more powerful than the pretty dumb google assistant/siri style interfaces - it's miles better at understanding human speech/syntax variance and you can really converse with it. I've played with this in my workshop and it's super handy for asking complex questions whilst my hands are busy! ('calculate the cubic area of these dimensions, what's the width of a X allen key, torque strength of X etc)

Loads still to develop on these things, but it's pretty nifty already. Finally you can also bounce onto Google, Siri etc, so there's nothing stopping you continuing to use them too! Whatever suits!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom