how smart has your home gone?

Soldato
1) you would do yes, but most people will run it on a raspberry pi so running costs would be £5-10 a year.

2) Yes I'd agree with your first statements. It's quite a learning curve to start with, but once you're familiar with config/setup then it's much easier. As for easier to control/better interface, that's down to the individual to decide on layout/how the lights are controlled.

3) Yes definitely more quicker than opening up individual apps. You could set up buttons for lights and sockets on the same page if needed.

Where it also comes into its element is being able to integrate various manufacturers. I.e. You've bought gosund now, but next year when you decide you want more smart plugs, they may no longer exist, or you'll find a better deal on another brand. All adding to the nightmare of having to open up separate apps.

Your analogy is fair. I guess the best way I can sell it is...
A) It's inevitable that you'll buy more and more smart home tech, and it will become tedious having manufacturer specific apps to control separate devices.
B) HA is completely open source, so you'll never get cornered/blackmailed into paying to use it. Have a look at the stories about Wink from a couple of years ago, where users had purchased the device and smart components, and Wink blackmailed their users into paying a monthly fee or the devices would become bricked.

I value my time and really dislike stress these days. The thought of having to set up a Rasberry Pi, with new application(s), set up and configure my devices, undoubtably hitting issues while doing so, and maybe even some limited/contrived functionality, really doesn't appeal to me I'm afraid. If I'm ultimated a couple of hundred quid worse of after X years I'd not be the least bit worried if that equates to a far more simple and hassle free life :)

And I mean, I really really dislike the thought of stress and hassle these days...

ps: I'm certain other people wouldn't mind the above and indeed wouild even enjoy it and get a kick out of it. There's no judgement going on here...

Soldato
HOUSE:

Heating = Tado (TRV's and Thermostats in each room)

Lights = Hue lights everywhere inside with motion sensors

Music = Sono's Ones in each room (used with and double up as Alexa)

TV = Built in Alexa intergration to turn it on and off, change inputs and volume etc

Amp = Built in Alexa intergration to turn it on and off, change inputs and volume etc

Security = Anker Eufy Doorbell and 2C camera's

Non-smart items = Made smart via Smart Plugs (such as makita chargers in Shed and Garage, Washing Machine, Dryer, Kettle etc)

Other smart items:

Kef LSX speakers in office

Everything is pretty much controlled via Alexa.

Whats left to make smart = House Alarm & Locks.

Soldato
I recently moved a lot of my automation over to Home Assistant running as a VM on my server. Best thing I've ever done. I have Hue lights and sensors, and Hive radiator valves throughout the house in every room. I also have various smart plugs from different manufacturers. Being able to pull all the smart devices together to interact with each other is fantastic eg I have a Hue motion sensor outside. HA exposes the temperature sensor which I can use to turn on the heating a bit earlier if it's really cold in the morning (obviously a winter thing!). I use the same sensor to measure the amount of daylight and when it falls below 1000lux the automation turns on my lights.

The great thing is that I'm nowhere near finished exploring what HA can do! I've ordered a blind engine to experiment with. My hope is that I can automatically raise/ lower it depending on light strength and temperature outside.

Associate
There are plenty of smart buttons out there, the problem you have is that a) you'll need some sort of hub to communicate with them, and b) some device to manage the automation. Although I don't have anything Alexa-based, I'm doubtful Alexa would be able to trigger the automation because its a rather basic device that is heavily integrated with amazons own smart devices.

For my setup, I've got some xiaomi aqara zigbee buttons (about £7 each), a conbee2 zigbee receiver (I think that was about £30-35), and then HA installed on a rpi4 (I'd already purchased for other projects, and HA runs on most things so won't count this device in the cost). HA has a very powerful automation setup where you set a trigger (1 button click, 2 button clicks etc), then conditions if required (only run during the daytime), and finally the action - toggle smart Plug.
Do you have the link for xiaomi aqara zigbee buttons

Soldato
I recently moved a lot of my automation over to Home Assistant running as a VM on my server. Best thing I've ever done. I have Hue lights and sensors, and Hive radiator valves throughout the house in every room. I also have various smart plugs from different manufacturers. Being able to pull all the smart devices together to interact with each other is fantastic eg I have a Hue motion sensor outside. HA exposes the temperature sensor which I can use to turn on the heating a bit earlier if it's really cold in the morning (obviously a winter thing!). I use the same sensor to measure the amount of daylight and when it falls below 1000lux the automation turns on my lights.

The great thing is that I'm nowhere near finished exploring what HA can do! I've ordered a blind engine to experiment with. My hope is that I can automatically raise/ lower it depending on light strength and temperature outside.

It's a very deep hole once you start getting into it.

Have a look at the Home Assistant thread, i've just made the tilt function on my venetian blinds smart, i've not attempted to lifting mechanism as that's quite a bit of extra work.

I should add, there's the whole smart home ecosystem that HA supports, and then when you start looking at what ESPhome can do to make things smart, my project list is forever growing.

Do you have the link for xiaomi aqara zigbee buttons

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32818007384.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dtrIY6w

These are the ones i've got. I'm also on the look out for a switch i can better integrate with the wall, but i need more than 1 switch as i currently have control for main light, side/floor lamps, and the blinds.

Soldato
FWIW folks I had an email from TP Link about Prime Day. Looks like some good deals...

Tapo L510 bulb - 6.50
Tapo L530 bulb (multi colour) - 7.99
Echo dot 4th + bulb - 54.99
Echo dot 4th + plug - 29.99 (3rd gen is £5 cheaper)

Caporegime
I don't know if it's me, I don't get it. Or what but I'm beginning to think this smart home thing just isn't worth it.

The tado heating is great. No complaints there. But the Google assistant. Not so keen.

Google seems to mishear me too much.
Some Of my routines (simple turn on two things) just doesn't seem to always work.

The latter is probably just set up. But the former is really annoying.
I also am struggling to think of anything else useful to get.

My friend has more. But says he seems to only uses it for turning lights on and off. Which I'm wondering is all I can think of too.

I've tried the TV thing. But that is definitely a headache.

Maybe it's just me. But at the moment I'm considering giving up on Google assistant.
Has anyone gone smart to dumb because of the hoop jumping?

Caporegime
The tado heating is great. No complaints there. But the Google assistant. Not so keen.

Some Of my routines (simple turn on two things) just doesn't seem to always work.
Yep, it's got progressively worse and worse over the years.

I've got my bedroom light and TV connected to my GH and half the time when I ask it to turn the bedroom light on or off it also turns the TV on or off. Seems to hear me say 'Ok Google, turn the bedroom' but misses the rest of the command so does both. Not sure if it's processing the command before I've finished speaking or if it's just got dumber.

It also misses me asking what the bedroom temperature is and just seems to hear, 'Ok Google, what is the bedroom' because it starts reeling of a definition of the word bedroom.

Caporegime
Yep, it's got progressively worse and worse over the years.

I've got my bedroom light and TV connected to my GH and half the time when I ask it to turn the bedroom light on or off it also turns the TV on or off. Seems to hear me say 'Ok Google, turn the bedroom' but misses the rest of the command so does both. Not sure if it's processing the command before I've finished speaking or if it's just got dumber.

It also misses me asking what the bedroom temperature is and just seems to hear, 'Ok Google, what is the bedroom' because it starts reeling of a definition of the word bedroom.

Yes! I'm getting this. Even in the car it seems to miss words. Or sometimes seems to just fail to recognise 'ok google'.

Mine will also sometimes give me definitions of things. It's even recognised the correct phrase but said 'I can't do that' then, next time it does it.

I haven't had it long in the home. And reviews seemed to say Google was better for natural speaking

Maybe I need to give alexa a go. Which is a shame

Caporegime
I sometimes wonder if it's the firmware updates gradually gimping the device to force you to buy their latest assistant or just their cloud infrastructure performing worse as more people use it. Certainly isn't what I would consider a smart assistant anymore.

Soldato
I don't know if it's me, I don't get it. Or what but I'm beginning to think this smart home thing just isn't worth it.

My friend has more. But says he seems to only uses it for turning lights on and off. Which I'm wondering is all I can think of too.

Maybe it's just me. But at the moment I'm considering giving up on Google assistant.

I've never been a fan of voice assistants for everyday tasks. I only ever shout Alexa to view a camera or turn on smart plugs that are only used occasionally. Everyday stuff is where Home Assistant comes in for me, it controls lighting automatically based on time, light sensors, motion sensors and door sensors so there's no need to touch anything. TV I have never found a way to control nicely apart from with a good old remote, albeit a Harmony remote for easier control.

Associate
I managed to reach 'inner peace' a year or so go and happy with it all.

I went for the Z wave setup for pretty much everything. I have two bulbs on philips hue due to not having time to rewire them lights yet.
Danfos/ Popp TRV Z wave on every rad.
Security is Texecom Prem Elite with Smartcom AND Fibaro universal
Lights are all Z wave modules behind light switches so i still have full control of switch.
Aeotec 6 in 1 devices in each room, as well as Fibaro universal sensors in each of the alarm PIR and Door sensors.

Heating is Nest
Smoke alarms are all Nest.

CCTV is Hik/ Unifi with a few Reolink ones for watching kids PTZ.

Kitchen / Utility appliances are all connected to zwave power modules to measure current.

LG/ Samsung/ Sony Tvs all connected and linked in to HA.

HA pretty much runs everything and connected to various controllers.

Voice in is via Amazon Alexa, full house coverage, garden/ shed, mancave

amp and sound system is all linked to alexa, not bothering with dedicated sound systems in each rooms because no requirement. only lounge, kitchen, dining room and the cave have sound system setups.

Really enjoying HA and would recommend using it rather than configuring all these different controllers.

Caporegime
I've never been a fan of voice assistants for everyday tasks. I only ever shout Alexa to view a camera or turn on smart plugs that are only used occasionally. Everyday stuff is where Home Assistant comes in for me, it controls lighting automatically based on time, light sensors, motion sensors and door sensors so there's no need to touch anything. TV I have never found a way to control nicely apart from with a good old remote, albeit a Harmony remote for easier control.

Maybe this is it.
My tado is routine based. It knows when I'm home and when home follow this schedule. When away follow this schedule. So no tinkering.
And it's great.

I've been using voice to try and do things like following.

"Turn in TV and play X from netflix on tv"

This is very very hit and miss.
Generally it will do them all. But it's not without its problems. I may go back to a remote.
Really. The netflix bit works best. Tv on/off doesn't. But I expect that's the age of the TV and it not being smart at all

Soldato
Maybe this is it.
My tado is routine based. It knows when I'm home and when home follow this schedule. When away follow this schedule. So no tinkering.
And it's great.

I've been using voice to try and do things like following.

"Turn in TV and play X from netflix on tv"

This is very very hit and miss.
Generally it will do them all. But it's not without its problems. I may go back to a remote.
Really. The netflix bit works best. Tv on/off doesn't. But I expect that's the age of the TV and it not being smart at all

Yeah I don't really like the idea of voice control for TV. Just set up activities on the Harmony remote, one button sets everything up, turns on everything required, sets inputs, opens apps and can set a lighting scene also if you like.

Soldato

I'm glad I stopped with the smart bulbs, they're just a bit rubbish really. No one but me knows how to work them, they aren't 100% reliable, Philips STILL don't have UK suitable switches as far as I'm aware.
I still have a few I use with motion sensors but even these throw a paddy now and again.

Evohome for heating has been great though, hopefully the air con plays nice with that so when I ask for a room set to 20c Alexa knows if it needs to talk to the Aircon or the heating depending on the current temperature. I'd put money on it not working well though.

Caporegime
Interesting that quite a few are in same boat.
I may just go back to old remote then.

Just doesn't seem to make life easier. Which is what it should do

Soldato
I'm glad I stopped with the smart bulbs, they're just a bit rubbish really. No one but me knows how to work them, they aren't 100% reliable, Philips STILL don't have UK suitable switches as far as I'm aware.
I still have a few I use with motion sensors but even these throw a paddy now and again.

With respect, that's a personal/setup thing. They're certainly not rubbish.

I have them in every room, in transit areas they're controlled by smartthings motion sensors which work 100% of the time and then in rooms there's an echo and you just say "alexa turn the lights on" and the lights come on.

The only area not like that is the garden and then it's "alexa turn the garden on".. you'd need to be special not to be able to work them :)

Soldato

Maybe too much of a heavy reliance on voice assistants. VA's aren't quite perfect yet, especially if you're someone with a slight accent etc.

Ask yourself, do you need to ask a VA to do this all the time, there are plenty of ways to automate things. For example if it's living room lights that you want to switch on when you enter the room, why not set up some motion or door contacts that switch the light on based on a routine, or stick to a traditional timing schedule.

With respect, that's a personal/setup thing. They're certainly not rubbish.

I have them in every room, in transit areas they're controlled by smartthings motion sensors which work 100% of the time and then in rooms there's an echo and you just say "alexa turn the lights on" and the lights come on.

The only area not like that is the garden and then it's "alexa turn the garden on".. you'd need to be special not to be able to work them :)

Agreed here.

Smart bulbs are essentially dumb. They only do what they're asked to do. It's the controller behind them that provides the smart stuff.

Back
Top Bottom