how smart has your home gone?

Soldato
That sounds fine, I was more concerned about it penetrating the walls of the fridge/freezer, ours is one of those 50/50 tall units, so will chuck one on top.

Which Bluetooth thermometers do you have?

Oh it'll definitely penetrate the wall of the fridge/freezer. The Bluetooth range from the HA Yellow was just about able to reach the sensors in the Fridge/freezer in the kitchen. Distance wise it's about 7.5m through 2 walls.

I'm using these. They're often on offer, they were a 'deal of the day' yesterday.

Soldato
Electric blinds are the dream i think. Was always the goal in my last house. Luckily the new one has the metal shutters and all will be electric. So just need to work on integration. I imagine Shelly stuff will be needed. I need to find the right balance with the builder as whenever i spec something he just wants to add the full cost of the new addition without deducting the cost of the part it replaces!

Got my Intel NUC. It's pre-loaded with Windows. Is there any argument for/against running VM's in Windows as opposed to Ubuntu? You can all assume i'm about as knowledgeable as a sock. I've used Ubuntu before for Kodi, but that's about it.

Other than running HAOS, there's a chance the same device gets used as a Media Server/NAS (with a HD enclosure connected) and also an NVR.

Last edited:
Soldato
I ran HA in VirtualBox through Windows and it was aweful for hardware passthrough. The Ubuntu thing is a bit of a misnomer I think; the native HA install just asks for Ubuntu live CD as a means to install itself. Once installed you have "native" HA on bare metal.

Soldato
Ah, i was thinking of it being installed in a VM through Ubuntu/Debian rather than going for the direct install which would allow me to use the device for other software. Although it's by no means essential, and if keeping things simple for me means installing HAOS direct and then using another device if i need something else then that works for me.

I guess any hardware passthrough would be an issue if i add any Zigbee receivers

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm using VirtualBox on Ubuntu and it's been solid for 2 years. Everyone takes the **** but it worked from day 1 and never wobbled so I never moved on.

My assumption was I'd replace it with something more "professional" once we moved but in the end I jist unplugged the machine and plugged it back in at the new house. I did what you're doing - a quick trial setup in the previous house to get familiar.

I did spend a bit of time fiddling with the USB config for the Conbee adapter, but as I say I had it fully working on the same day I installed HAOS.

Soldato
Ah, i was thinking of it being installed in a VM through Ubuntu/Debian rather than going for the direct install which would allow me to use the device for other software. Although it's by no means essential, and if keeping things simple for me means installing HAOS direct and then using another device if i need something else then that works for me.

I guess any hardware passthrough would be an issue if i add any Zigbee receivers

I’ve installed HAOS on Proxmox running on a mini PC. No problems with passing through a Bluetooth dongle and Zigbee co-ordination. Proxmox may have a bit of a learning curve but it’s been incredibly stable over the past year. It also provides lots of options installing various other dockers and VMs if required

Soldato
Oh it'll definitely penetrate the wall of the fridge/freezer. The Bluetooth range from the HA Yellow was just about able to reach the sensors in the Fridge/freezer in the kitchen. Distance wise it's about 7.5m through 2 walls.

I'm using these. They're often on offer, they were a 'deal of the day' yesterday.

Does this work on the freezer? Reading their product spec sheet says temperature range is from 0C.

Wondered whether it would pick up the -20/-30 ranges of a freezer.

Soldato
Does this work on the freezer? Reading their product spec sheet says temperature range is from 0C.

Wondered whether it would pick up the -20/-30 ranges of a freezer.

I haven't got it to hand, but the packaging definitely says the range goes below freezing. But yes, they're working fine:

Uwzt3TP.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom