How the hell do Currys stay in business?

Soldato
Hate to break it to you but I just bought all new kitchen appliances and Curry’s, AO, Appliances Direct and Hughes ALL called after purchase to try and sell their warranty subscriptions.

To top it off, if you then register the appliance with the manufacturer to get their ‘free’ 3-5 year warranty, they also call you to sell you their version of the paid £7.99/month warranty subscription.

7.99 a month for EACH appliance is also daylight robbery for a £200-£500 appliance, you’d have paid the cost of the appliance again in the warranty before something goes wrong. Who the hell buys these things, they must sell them otherwise they wouldn’t spend the time in the outbound calls.
They'll probably get done for misselling at some point.

Too many people will have bought them as they aren't savvy enough to not get caught out.

For Curry's, as a shop for young people to earn some beer money, or maybe start a career it would be a shame to see them go in that respect. But id still rather they shutdown nothing good comes from them being in business other than employment...but I do wonder how many young people are being taught bad traits by them as an organisation.

Man of Honour
Our Currys aren't too bad and the sales staff are pretty helpful, most don't push the warranties either which is a pleasant change. They aren't the worst for that anymore though. I bought a washing machine from AO a couple of months ago and 20 minutes after I had completed the online checkout I got a phonecall. He started off telling me that this was to confirm the delivery details (they already did that by email) and he seamlessly moved onto a extended warranty which at first I thought he meant the 5 year warranty that the washing machine came with. After telling me the benefits for around five minutes he informed me that all that could be mine for the sum of £7.99 a month for the life of the machine after two months free. I was speechless at first then told him that the machine already came with a 5 year warranty to which he said this one is better though and started spewing up the same bs again. I cut him off and said I will not be going for that so cancel whatever he had already set up which he seemed very put out about and quickly turned moody. I hung up on him in the end. They are nothing but parasites and I can see that quite a few people would fall for it. Despite the good price and hassle free delivery I won't be shopping at AO again.

With regards to AO, I couldn’t argue about prices and stock availability, but hassle free delivery? Not in my case.
The ice maker stopped working on our Whirlpool American style fridge-freezer and although under insurance warranty, their engineers couldn’t fix it, so I was granted up to £1000 to buy a replacement.
I found one on AO that fitted the none too deep space that the replacement would go into, and during negotiations to buy it, I laboured relentlessly on the fact that I had a 3 storey town house with the kitchen on the first floor at the rear, and the appliance would have to go through the house, out of the sliding doors to the garden, then up a flight of metal stairs to the kitchen balcony, then through the sliding doors to the kitchen, as the bend in the internal staircase precluded using it.
I was assured both in telephone calls and emails that the method I’d informed them of would be no trouble to the delivery guys.
Came the day of delivery and the driver pursed his lips and said, “I’ve got a trainee with me on his first day, if he scratches the appliance on those metal stairs, I’ll be liable, so all I can do is put it in your garage.”
AO weren’t interested, I’d signed that it had been delivered in good condition, so that was the end of the story for them, a copy of their email saying delivery would be fine was met with stony silence.
I prevailed upon the goodwill of two of my strong young nephews and they took the doors off, managed successfully to get it up the metal stairs and into the kitchen, put the doors back on and plumbed it in.
They then did that in reverse with the Whirlpool one and put it in my garage as a spare, both fridge and freezer working, but obviously no ice cube maker.
To show my appreciation I took them and their wives to an upmarket steak house and said “Here’s the menu, knock yourselves out, whatever wines you want as well, coffees, brandies, go through the card.”
It cost me a chunk of change, but I’ve got a perfect working fridge-freezer, and an excellent back-up in the garage.

Soldato
I worked for PC World for a few years when one opened up near me (it's since shut), i joined at the time when they had just scrapped individual commission and gone to team bonuses. The idea in the change was to stop pushy sales people, in a way it worked but they still had targets as a store on amount of finance agreements, the amount of insurace/warranty we sold and amount of margin we made as a store. All seemed pretty dodgy, in my time there multiple people were sacked for dodgy dealings, one example is our manager who forced an employee to put through a finance agreement without the person being there.. the young lad took it up the chain and the manager was removed.
The warranty we sold was pretty poor, the sales people didn't really get taught properly so would often have a leaflet in hand and make bold claims like any issues we will replace the product... most of the time on things like laptops we would send them away for up to 6 weeks to a service centre.
PPI at the time was defaulted on the finance agreements we were told not to remove it unless specifically asked by the customer. Marketting options was another that was on by default and told not to remove unless the customer notices and asks for it to be removed. Really was a shoddy company to work for. It could have been just our local store that had these practices. Currys which was about 1 minute away used to go with the same approach.

Personally at the time it paid ok and tied me over until i got something better.

Man of Honour
Hate to break it to you but I just bought all new kitchen appliances and Curry’s, AO, Appliances Direct and Hughes ALL called after purchase to try and sell their warranty subscriptions.

To top it off, if you then register the appliance with the manufacturer to get their ‘free’ 3-5 year warranty, they also call you to sell you their version of the paid £7.99/month warranty subscription.

7.99 a month for EACH appliance is also daylight robbery for a £200-£500 appliance, you’d have paid the cost of the appliance again in the warranty before something goes wrong. Who the hell buys these things, they must sell them otherwise they wouldn’t spend the time in the outbound calls.

I registered the warranty with the manufacturer of my washing machine so I would get the full 5 years, got a confirmation email and that was it, no trying to sell me a super duper warranty and no phonecall. That's the way it should be.

Soldato
I remember when Currys/Dixons had branches on most high streets, so if you needed a new Walkman or kettle you could just go and get one straight away.

Now Currys are only on big retail parks 20-30 miles away. Waiting next day for Prime delivery always looks more favourable than a long round trip nowadays.

Soldato
Their delivery is pretty good...think it's next day if ordered before 9pm, can choose morning slot etc too, obv it costs extra but at least it's an option

Soldato
Only really used them once recently when I wanted to get a new ipad but discounted as it was last gen and I had bought a gift card to make it cheaper so it all worked out a lot less than I could get it anywhere else!

Plus they were the only ones with that specific model in stock anymore which helped.

Agree though they were great for those last minute must have items like when the kettle broke or whatever and there was one locally but now they're all that bit further out so not really as "easy" to get to.

Associate
I was guranteed that my Lenovo ideapad'd run Doom Eternal but I had to ask to see his boss for his back up as he was a gamer (he was right about Skyrim no longer working on my previous one becuase of the graphics card). Turned out they were both right. But I had to ordert the Lenovo and wait a week but they didn't have the one I really wanted and there was no guaruntee I'd get one from the next lot that came in a week later and I couldn't reserve one either and I didn't have a plan-b in mind).
Before I went back and was talked into it (this was in a positive way as it was similiar to the one I wanted) I sat in the nearby Whetherspoons to consider my options:-
Argos
Amazon
Wait until the next lot came in
My twq main options were considered but I couldn't actually see the physical versions to get staff advice.

What would you lot have done in the situation I was in?

Soldato
I was guranteed that my Lenovo ideapad'd run Doom Eternal but I had to ask to see his boss for his back up as he was a gamer (he was right about Skyrim no longer working on my previous one becuase of the graphics card). Turned out they were both right. But I had to ordert the Lenovo and wait a week but they didn't have the one I really wanted and there was no guaruntee I'd get one from the next lot that came in a week later and I couldn't reserve one either and I didn't have a plan-b in mind).
Before I went back and was talked into it (this was in a positive way as it was similiar to the one I wanted) I sat in the nearby Whetherspoons to consider my options:-
Argos
Amazon
Wait until the next lot came in
My twq main options were considered but I couldn't actually see the physical versions to get staff advice.

What would you lot have done in the situation I was in?
You'd get a good idea of what it would run in regards to the specs, e.g I needed a £300 laptop and wanted to play a few older games, so knew the only options were either a Pentium N6000 (Tremont) or an AMD Athlon. So I looked for machines that met those specs. Didn't really matter what brand, what mattered was the specs on the laptop and how cheap I could get it.

Soldato
I remember when Currys/Dixons had branches on most high streets, so if you needed a new Walkman or kettle you could just go and get one straight away.

Now Currys are only on big retail parks 20-30 miles away. Waiting next day for Prime delivery always looks more favourable than a long round trip nowadays.

Depends where you live. I've got eight within ten miles. Nearest is half a mile away...

Currys (and PC World after they bought them) was mainly retail parks. Dixons was high street. Running three different chains as separate entities was never a good long term strategy, they merged them sensibly before it was too late and went online.

Soldato
Only thing we've bought from curry's recently was a washing machine just before Christmas, as the old one was leaking (not worth fixing), and they were the only company that could deliver the one we wanted before Christmas. Thought we'd pay for them to install it just so it was done properly and we didn't have to bother checking various youtube videos etc and fiddling round in the grime under the counter etc during our time off. Big mistake.

The washing machine itself is great so far, but the delivery & installation guys were complete arses or lazy scammers depending on how you look at it.

Firstly they claimed we should have disconnected and moved the old washer before they arrived, and maintained this position even when challenged. Gf got as far as pulling the old machine out before I came down (had been busy upstairs) and also challenged, as they were trying to make the gf remove the water hose herself, claiming their insurance wouldn't cover it if something went wrong. They then relented and disconnected it themselves (maybe only felt comfortable bullying women?). The description of the installation service we paid for specifically includes disconnection of the existing appliance and states we don't need to move it before they get there, so they had no leg to stand on.

They then did a massive rush job installing the new one, basically just connected it, slammed it in, and tested the water ran. They didn't fix the drain hose up at the rear or level the feet (first time we did a test cycle it started rocking manically).

Despite wearing Curry's shirts I don't know whether the guys actually work for them or just subcontract, as the delivery van was a rental. However either way it reflects really poorly on them, as Curry's is responsible for providing the service they were paid for.

Complained and were given £10 back from the £25 fee.

Another reminder of why Curry's is my last resort retailer for appliances and electronics.

Last edited:
Soldato
Only thing we've bought from curry's recently was a washing machine just before Christmas, as the old one was leaking (not worth fixing), and they were the only company that could deliver the one we wanted before Christmas. Thought we'd pay for them to install it just so it was done properly and we didn't have to bother checking various youtube videos etc and fiddling round in the grime under the counter etc during our time off. Big mistake.

The washing machine itself is great so far, but the delivery & installation guys were complete arses or lazy scammers depending on how you look at it.

Yeah, not a good experience.

Mine was better. Bought a new machine on the work perks scheme which happens to use Currys this time last year. Delivered the new one and removed the old machine.. Asked for the caps to block off the unneeded hot feed under the sink. Installed the new machine, levelled it and ran a rinse/spin test. All done in about 20 minutes. Proper Knowhow van (or whatever Mastercare got rebranded to).

Caporegime
I think the last thing I bought from Currys was a minidisc player. Must have been a few years since I last went in one, the local is a depressing place full of old stock.

Man of Honour
My last 4 tech purchases were from Currys who gave me a better deal than anywhere else.
That's a bit of a lie, I could have got my TV for £10 less from John Lewis but my Currys is 0.8 mile away.
My phone was £599 which was the same everywhere else BUT I got some free Sony wireless headphones with a RRP of £239.
My watch was the cheapest anywhere and my Sony Bluetooth speaker was the same everywhere.

Soldato
Their delivery is pretty good...think it's next day if ordered before 9pm, can choose morning slot etc too, obv it costs extra but at least it's an option

Well thats an improvement last time I ordered something from them had to pay £15 and booked a morning slot, they eventually arrived 6.30pm and said could they come back another day... no.

Back
Top Bottom