How to brew your own beer - The All Grain method

Yup, went the full DIY route! Will post some pictures of the kit soon :)

Ahleckz, did you buy your grains/hops etc local? I'm down in Glasgow mid December and rather than pay £8 for postage I'd probably be better buying and just taking it back up north with me!

Hi. Yea, I got them from Inn House Brewery (a home brew shop). The address is 736 Dumbarton Road
Glasgow G11 6RD.

They are pretty well stocked, in most things apart from grain. Only really ever seem to have crushed pale malt. If you phoned them up, they might be able to order something in though?

Sorry, meant any links you may have sourced kit from :)

Ah, will give you a quick run down.

For the boiler if you search around for a DIY wort boiler using kettle elements you'll pretty much end up with what I have made using a 33 litre fermentation bucket.

My mash tun is a 30 odd litre cool box wrapped with bubble wrap / foil insulation and fitted with a tap :)

Google DIY counterflow chiller as well, the design is pretty standard.

Links?

Thanks Ahleckz, will chck them out. Know. of any other brew shops in Glasgow? Rather annoying living in the far north of the Highlands, lack of brew shops and increased delivery costs :(

That's the only one in Glasgow. There are two in Edinburgh I believe, but haven't actually been to either.

Casked my Milk Stout last night, gravity only dropped from 1026 to 1023 since Thursday so it must have finished the fermenting stage a few days ago. I added 40g of sugar to make sure the CO2 fills the cask quickly.

It's about 6.2% vol, also worked out the EBU to be about 50 and the EBC about 300.

Going to leave it maturing for a few weeks before sampling.

Have fun!

So after taking Mrs_Seakitchen to the OcUK grand opening to see the new shop on Saturday (I know, I'm an old romantic), we went on to the brewing shop in Kidsgrove. Bought ourselves a bottle capper, some crown caps and an autosyphon. We now need to convert a not so great fermenting bucket into a bottling bucket, with a little bottler attachment. Should be good.

However, on he way home tonight though, I stopped at Aldi looking for a "stainless steel rice ball" for dry hopping (turns out I was in the wrong supermarket, it's Lidl selling them apparently), and they had a few bottles of beer in brown swing-top bottles. Only three, but it would have been rude not to buy the bottles. They were just there on the shelf, beckoning me. Green Grolsch bottles are good (even though it means drinking the Grolsch, ugh), but brown must be even better!

Right, it's all in the fermenter now albeit around 5l short of the 23l I wanted! I wasn't sure on efficiency, amount lost to grain/hops etc, but I've measured volumes every step, so I can narrow it all done!

Pics to follow :)

Last edited:
Anyone up Manchester way interesting in home brewing but without the space/wanting to commit a load of money for equipment, get in touch with Manchester Brewing Coop https://www.facebook.com/groups/manchesterbrewingcoop/

Right now we do 50l brews in a huge pan in a shed (or borrow equipment to take home), with many malts and hops kept in stock. We are also involved with the set up of a 1 barrel microbrewery (with Northern Brewspace) which would host a monthly brew workshop.

The co-op's slowly moving away from "a bunch of hippies that bought some brew equipment" to a more professional outfit wrt running workshops, equipment, knowledge etc, so it's a good time to join if you're up this way.

Hey guys,

After having never brewed anything before, be it with an extract kit or all grain, I decided to jump into the deep end and go all-grain for my first brew.

My boiler consists of a 33l fermentation bucket with a single 2.2 kW element (seems to handle the job fine, might install a second for quicker heating). My mash-tun is a coolbox with extra insulation added in the form of aluminum foil lined bubble wrap.

And to cool the wort after boiling, I went with a counter-flow chiller.

I did a couple of test runs with just hot water and it all seemed to go smoothly and I had a rough idea of my dead spaces.

Anyway, apologies for the dodgy photos (and the lack of them!), being my first brew I was all over the place with little time to take photos. Next time will be more of a relaxed affair!

My recipe was:

2000g lager malt
2000g flaked (unmalted) wheat
1000g wheat malt
500g porridge oats

30g Saaz - full boil
2 oranges (standard oranges!) - 15 minutes
10g crushed coriander seeds - 15 minutes
20g Bobek - flameout steep

Yeast: WB-06

Doughing in!

IMG_0221.JPG

First runnings out the mash tun

IMG_0225.JPG

Lovely hops!

IMG_4207.jpg

Cooling the wort

IMG_0228.JPG

Nice and snug in the FV

IMG_0244.JPG

I had some minor problems in being that I ended up with 17 liters in the FV and not 23 liters.

I think this was due to inaccurate measurements on my boiler and underestimating the dead spaces in the boiler and mash tun. I put around (probably wrong) 26 liters into the boiler, and came out with only 17 liters according to the measurements on the FV, which are also probably in accurate.

All in all, no major disasters and now I know what to alter, and where I need some fine tuning!

Oooh, the quick Hoegaarden recipe from Jims? Looks great, nice choice.
We did that as our second or third brew and found it very nice and drinkable very quickly. We did find that the "older" it got, unlike most beers it tasted worse, not better. But that might have just been something we did wrong.
Are you going to bottle or barrel it?

Yeah, Dave-o's, it looked pretty straight forward and seemingly ready to drink fast, I didn't want to be waiting a month for my first brew to be drinkable :D

Going to bottle it, will check the gravity on Tusday and see where it's at, it was 1.060 when it went in, high compared to what others were getting (around 1.048), but I guess that's due to having 17l and not 23l :p

Dropped that much in a few hours? :o

I don't think that my beer is going to do anything more, so going to bottle two gallons and then put the other gallon into a clean FV and dry hop it.

Back
Top Bottom