How to brew your own beer - The All Grain method

So primary fermentation is about finished on our latest brew, so I've chucked on about 20g of cascade to dry hop it. Hope it works OK. I think we're going to bottle this brew, which would be our first time bottling an entire batch also. But it's good to experiment and learn new techniques, and to hope that it doesn't completely foul up.

So primary fermentation is about finished on our latest brew, so I've chucked on about 20g of cascade to dry hop it. Hope it works OK. I think we're going to bottle this brew, which would be our first time bottling an entire batch also. But it's good to experiment and learn new techniques, and to hope that it doesn't completely foul up.
Course it wont foul up were good at this now hehe :D

Just taken another sample, hitting 1.010 on the nose! It tastes much better already, and the mouth-feel is slightly less thin.

Tempted to bottle it tomorrow morning (if it's stable at 1.010) before I leave for London for two weeks or should I leave it for when I come back and let the yeast finish and clear up a bit!

Mashed a wheat beer yesterday...

3.5kg Wheat malt
1.5kg Pale malt
1.0kg Vienna malt
0.5kg Crystal malt

Start of boil 99g Hallertaur Hersbrucker hops @ 2.35% AA

Safbrew WB-06 yeast

1053 OG.

Made enough to fill my boiler to the brim..

IMG_3723.jpg

Still only got 22L of wart....

IMG_3724.jpg

Last edited:
I never followed up my post about my first brew because the thermal fuse in my boiler blew and I had to bin it!

I've bypassed the thing and tried again over the weekend. Seemed to go well although there were a few schoolboy errors. I lost a lot more to evaporation than expected and only ended up with about 18 - 19L rather than 23.

Also a bit concerned I might have pitched the yeast before the wort had cooled enough - it was getting dark and there's no light in the garage, so panicked and just tried to get it over with as quick as possible lol. I think next time I'll just cover it and leave it overnight.

Looked at it this morning and it's definitely fermenting, there's a nice thick head on it. Just worried it might taste a bit fruity because of the high pitch temp.

Fingers crossed!

It will be fine, I pitch my yeast as soon as the wart reaches the yeasts upper working temp then leave it to cool naturally down to fermenting temp.

This starts the yeast faster and it would only change the taste if the wart was held high temp for a sustained period.

Small update!

After initial fermentation of a week, I left it for another two weeks.

IMG_4299.jpg

IMG_4303.jpg

Pretty clear for a wheat beer!

I managed to get 28 x 660 ml bottles, I've used a single clear bottle to see how it looks as it conditions (if there's any change at all), the rest were brown :)
IMG_4322.jpg

I kegged my wheat beer last week but I had broke my hydrometer and when I checked the sample it was still at 1020 but I'm sure it will be fine with 2nd fermentation in the keg.

Just put my latest brew in the bath to cool, it's my first lager.

Also bought a corni keg!

Last edited:
Need to revive the thread.....

Bought some new equipment and brewed a lager taking advantage of the winter months, just kegged it in to my new corny keg used a welding gas regulator and a bottle of CO2 to purge the oxygen and will leave it in the garage for 2 months to condition.

First-keg.jpg

Last edited:
Did our first all grain for ages yesterday. Life and work(s) just seems to have gotten in the way before christmas.

Anyway,
5 kg maris otter
100g crystal
100g torrified wheat
25g magnum at 60 mins
12g cascade at 60 mins
28g cascade at 10 mins

US-05 yeast to keep the hop character.

Done this one a couple of times and it's great.

And today our second all grain of the new year.

4.5kg Maris otter
2 teaspoons of black patent malt for colour

25g Galaxy 60 mins
15g Galaxy 10 mins
20g Galaxy flame out

Safbrew US-05 yeast

Our second time brewing this one, but based on the first time, a huge hit of peach/tangerine on the nose. Last time brewed it could have done with slightly more bittering to it, so upped the bittering hops slightly this time to this recipe.
Will keep you posted.

Our one in the post above is fermenting nicely. As is the Top Totty kit beer we're trying.

Tried a bitter using this recipe about a month ago.

It smells good and the taste is starting to develop nicely but it is still very dark.

Any idea how long it should take to clear up a bit?

By dark I'm guessing you mean that theres a lot of yeast or protein still in suspensio in the beer? What finings did you use in the copper? Have you used any finings in the fermenter/barrel etc? Even if you didn't use any, it will still probably still clear eventually. Might be worth putting it somewhere fairly cold for a while to see if chiling it down helps anything drop out.

We changed the above recipe slightly so it was 4.5kg maris otter and 0.5kg crystal. We also added 50g of aromatic malt and 50g of melanoidin malt to the mash.
We have used windsor ale yeast.

Just ordered the ingredients for my next batch, a Ringwood Fortyniner clone.

Looking forward to testing out my new hop filter, last time, I didn't have one and my boiler tap got blocked.

About a week ago my milk stout came in to condition (was kegged 13/11/12), so a couple of pics before I kill it off. It tastes of liquorice, slight milk chocolate and hop bitterness, it's really smooth with a very slight carbonation :) Oh and it's 6.4%!

IMG_3753.jpg

Son playing on the gaming rig :confused: 'WTF dad, why are you taking pics of your beer' :D

IMG_3755.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom