How to brew your own beer - The All Grain method

Soldato
Nice thread will give it a full read tomorrow,a friend of mine and i used to make our own beer had some great results and some not so great :D we would drink before ready half the time lol.

Must have another go at this.

Soldato
Initial outlay can be a bit pricey, depends how well you can source the equipment (the boiler being the expensive part). The cost per pint is roughly 75p-£1 though. Hops are very expensive (though you don't use that many), and the grain is going up in price quite steadily.

Obviously if you are making a Double American IPA then it's going to be pricey, if you're making a bog standard lager then it'll be minimal.

Good bump though Ken!

Soldato
OP
God I can't remember how much my initial outlay was, not that much. I was lucky in that a local brewer offered me the boiler for £10.

It can be pricey to begin with, but it certainly pays back within a few brews. I think the most expensive part for me was the copper cooler.

Permabanned
Anyone made a price per pint ignoring the initial outlay? Tempted to do this, but there are some great deals on conventional beer, and I certainly wouldn't want to go through all this for the minimal savings!

Associate
A 25kg sack of grain can be had for £20, you'll use say 4kg. Other grains, maybe 500g tops at £1.20 per kg, so roughly £4 for the grain. Hops are about £2-3 per 100g, you'll use up to that. Then about £2 for yeast.

SO £9 for 40 pints. :)

Soldato
OP
Well going by the recipe I used in post 39 that would currently work out to be (for 22 litres)

marris otter £1.49 p/kg = 4.5 * 1.49 = 6.71
crystal malt £1.49 p/kg = 0.5 * 1.49 = 0.75
flaked barley £1.49 p/kg = 0.4 * 1.49 = 0.60
amber malt £1.49 p/kg = 0.3 * 1.49 = 0.45
wheat malt £1.49 p/kg = 0.25 *1.49 = 0.37
roasted barley £1.10 p/kg= 0.1 * 1.10 = 0.11

100gms hops £3.29 = 0.9 * 3.29 = 2.96

2* packs of yeast = 1.99 * 2 = 3.98

Total: £15.93/22 = 72p litre or 41p a pint

That doesn't include cost of delivery of said items or water and electricity

Edit: You can however get it a bit cheaper if you buy your main malt in bulk, i.e. a 25kg bag works out to be about £1.18 a kg, which would be 66p a litre or 37p a pint. Certainly a lot cheaper than the £3.20 you pay for a pint in a pub these days, and cheaper than the £1.50+ you'll pay for a 500ml bottle in the supermarket

Last edited:
Permabanned
37p a pint isn't bad, that's definitely caught my interest.

I assume you can make 7% beer, or at least 5%?

Going to keep my eyes open for some of the equipment. If I see a key component going cheap, I'll jump for it :D

Permabanned
Sweet. :D

P.s I've got folk down the Bristol way, so if you spot anywhere getting rid of anything, I'd appreciate it if you gave me a shout.

Thanks

Soldato
OP
I've been on the hunt for a boiler for months but can't find anything. :( Got my coolbox and copper but need the damn boiler.

I may be able to help, my father in law picked up an old burco a number of weeks ago and asked if I was interested, which I wasn't. I'll ask if it's still free if you want.

lol just spotted your post as well kenmare, who calls dibs? ;)

Permabanned
I may be able to help, my father in law picked up an old burco a number of weeks ago and asked if I was interested, which I wasn't. I'll ask if it's still free if you want.

I do. :p

I'll also slip him a cheeky tenner to buy himself...........erm a pint or twenty? :D

Soldato

Me. Happily pay postage. I've been brewing for ages, geeze it to the experienced person who won't get bored after one brew ;).

Back
Top Bottom