How to get a career in programming

Associate
As far as a particular language is concerned, everyone will have their own favorites.

My personal favorite is c++ because that's what I use the most, but it's not generally considered as a good "starter" language.

A couple of languages which are often recommended as a "first" language are java and c#.

I the long run, you will probably have to know more than a single programming language.

Associate
20-25k sounds like something you *might* get as a graduate, rather than what you'd get as a trainee. 15k is probably about right.

This. I have been an apprentice software developer for just over a year now and can confirm, in my case, this is a more realistic figure to expect without any previous experience or quals.

Java is my primary language and I love it.

Last edited:
Associate
In a similar position to the OP( Sorry for the hijack :p ), I'm 24 spent the past 2 years at college doing a level 3 BTEC Extended diploma in Software Design, was looking at going off to uni but currently can't afford to be out of a job and part time won't really cut it.

I've got some experience in Java, C#, C++, MySQL, HTML, PHP, CSS. I'm thinking i should try and get a job out there as some sort of Trainee Developer instead of the Uni route but i'm really not sure, the experience i have with the above isn't the most but i think I've got the general know how to get things working and enjoy having to solve problems.

Think it's worth me trying the Uni route or seeing if i can get myself a job somewhere ?

Permabanned
In a similar position to the OP( Sorry for the hijack :p ), I'm 24 spent the past 2 years at college doing a level 3 BTEC Extended diploma in Software Design, was looking at going off to uni but currently can't afford to be out of a job and part time won't really cut it.

I've got some experience in Java, C#, C++, MySQL, HTML, PHP, CSS. I'm thinking i should try and get a job out there as some sort of Trainee Developer instead of the Uni route but i'm really not sure, the experience i have with the above isn't the most but i think I've got the general know how to get things working and enjoy having to solve problems.

Think it's worth me trying the Uni route or seeing if i can get myself a job somewhere ?

Difficult.

With uni costing more now, I'd probably rule that out for you - as it feels like a step backwards.

For a software (desktop) career - you could probably get a trainee job.

For a web developer job - you could probably just apply for one. I think you know enough to blag an interview. There are lots of people in web developer jobs who don't deserve to be there. No reason why you can't be one of them. Then it's just down to what you make of it.

Associate
Thanks a lot for replying defo given me something to think about, Think i'll start looking into seeing what jobs are around my area and what they are after enjoy the software side a bit more than web design but at the end of the day i can't be too picky if it's something to get me started and i might end up enjoying it more than i think :).

Associate
Maintain a github account with publicly accessible code that you want to be seen. It's a good way to illustrate both your progress and your abilities.

Associate

If you choose not to go to uni you could do with a portfolio, well it has helped me get past the interview stage. I'm now waiting for my technical interview that they've arranged.

Associate
I don't know any programmers with a degree in maths, they all have degrees in computer science.

I have a degree in History, and I'm a senior .NET developer. You don't need a CS degree, but be realistic and expect to start at the very bottom.

I started doing first line support for a software company, taught myself SQL and C#, then ASP.NET (with HTML, Javascript, CSS and all the related gubbins). You need to find a company that is willing to allow you to grow and progress into the role you want to do. My first suggestion would be to get some related experience. Write some code and make it publicly available (Github and Bitbucket spring to mind), join the community and start contributing to OSS projects. No-one is going to give your CV a second look if your only job was a hotel manager, and you cannot demonstrate your knowledge.

aln

aln

Associate
billysielu is pretty much right. Hopping is pretty important unless you land in a good company. I graduated in at the same time and got offered a lead role about 3 years back from a hop. I declined the offer because of a girl but alas the fact remains, every pay/career jump I've had has came from hopping or the threat of hopping.

Also without a relevant degree, you're gonna struggle to land the first role. But you'd probably struggle with that even with a degree. After some industry experience, this becomes a lesser issue.

Associate
Hi, I am looking into this field as well and am thinking about doing an HND in Computing and Software Development. Would this be seen as a good qualification (I am in my late forties)?

Permabanned
Erm... don't know what an HND is... don't know anyone who's changed to this career at that age... you'll be teamed with kids who'll probably be higher skilled than you :(

Associate
It is a BTEC Higher National Diploma. two year course full time. It is a level 5 course equivalent to 240 credit points (2/3rds of an Honours Degree). An extra year and a further 120 points turn it into an Honours Degree.

I am being made redundant shortly.

Back
Top Bottom