How to get a career in programming

Caporegime
Erm... don't know what an HND is... don't know anyone who's changed to this career at that age... you'll be teamed with kids who'll probably be higher skilled than you :(

only if he joins a company that employs lots of kids...

there are old developers out there... plenty of legacy systems need maintaining... and plenty of them are written in languages that have long since gone out of fashion

Soldato
Hi, I am looking into this field as well and am thinking about doing an HND in Computing and Software Development. Would this be seen as a good qualification (I am in my late forties)?

It is a BTEC Higher National Diploma. two year course full time. It is a level 5 course equivalent to 240 credit points (2/3rds of an Honours Degree). An extra year and a further 120 points turn it into an Honours Degree.

I am being made redundant shortly.

A HND is not the same as a B-tec... a HND is higher mate

Associate
Hi, I am looking into this field as well and am thinking about doing an HND in Computing and Software Development. Would this be seen as a good qualification (I am in my late forties)?

It will be good if you are willing to start at the bottom of the ladder. Doing a degree/course such as that will teach you a lot more about the whole development process (which is arguably more important than just writing efficient and clean code) than just self learning some languages.

Associate
I don't mind starting at the bottom to gain experience, as it is a field I want to get into. Also I am aware that the HND is a Higher National Diploma, it is one of many BTEC qualifications. There is no such thing as a B-Tec on its own. Also sorry to the OP for hijacking part of this thread.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hi Gents,

I've just had time to read over the thread.

Thank you all for the input!

It seems this thread has been useful to a couple of people which is great.

It seems that experience is going to be key, so once I've got enough knowledge under my belt I will have to begin an open source project as suggested. I'll accompany this with a blog and portfolio and go from there. The goal is to eventually move into an entry level position and work my way up.

Now I just have to make a final decision on which language to start with.:)

Please keep your input and experiences coming guys.

Associate
In regards to employers... you may find luck getting a job with event/travel management companies or travel agents where your experience in the hotel industry would come in useful. Especially if you've used GDS systems (worldspan, amadeus etc) in the past.

I've personally worked at an event management company as a developer helping with the development of their event management systems along with creating booking web sites for specific events/conferences, all of which usually involves hotel bookings somewhere along the line.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd also add that having a lot of enthusiasm and interest in the language/tech you choose can carry you a long way in trainee interviews. We've hired a few just because of this and they have progressed in to very good developers.

A lack of degree will close of some doors to begin with but it's still very possible to get in to development or programming job. Just make sure you have some demo code/websites on hand and you've taught yourself most of the basics first.

If you choose .net then you can download and use their free Visual Studio Express (omg that site looks awful) to get started and their's also a great program called linqpad that you can use to just play around with small concepts and ideas and then run them.

edit: totally off topic but if you get in to web then just make sure your site works in all modern browsers unlike that Microsoft link. It only seems to work properly in IE for me and completely breaks in chrome even though the page I'm looking at is talking about how VS can make modern html5/css3 compatible sites :o This is after MS made a plea to web developers to keep on supporting IE. Oh the irony.

Last edited:
Caporegime
A degree is not required. An ability to demonstrate learning, adaptability and communication are essential.

Having a degree is just one way to demonstrate your abilities. It is certainly not the only way and you should not care for anyone demanding you must have one, especially those who demand you have a CS degree. They don't know what they are talking about.

Last edited:
Associate
I too am sort of in this predicament. I'm looking more to move into web development rather than programming.

But may I ask what sort of level should you be at to be looking for a job in these kinds of fields? I mean, at what level should you be able to code? Could any of you give me some sort of example?

What is the best way to start a project and maintain it professionally?

Cheers

Associate
I too am sort of in this predicament. I'm looking more to move into web development rather than programming.

But may I ask what sort of level should you be at to be looking for a job in these kinds of fields? I mean, at what level should you be able to code? Could any of you give me some sort of example?

What is the best way to start a project and maintain it professionally?

Cheers

If your able to take a photoshop comp and turn that into a page that works in all modern browsers then your OK. If you can stretch it to older browsers including IE6 then your pretty good.

This is just one part of web development though. As a web developer you should be considering a whole spectrum of things. ie functionality, performance, usabilty etc etc.

If you've got a good idea that you think that some people will find useful, work on it to a point that its at a good state and put it on github

Associate
OP
Company I work for have a Java Intake in March, as a Higher Apprentice, that's if you're interested in doing Java of course aha.

Thanks for the info mate, as above, what sort of level would you need to be at to apply for this sort of position?

I have chosen to concentrate on Java initially and am currently working my way through the Java for Dummies book :)o). It is proving really helpful and I have found the examples and breakdowns particularly useful.

I'm not sure that I would be advanced enough by March to apply for a scheme such as the one you mention?

Many Thanks!

Associate
Thanks for the info mate, as above, what sort of level would you need to be at to apply for this sort of position?

I have chosen to concentrate on Java initially and am currently working my way through the Java for Dummies book :)o). It is proving really helpful and I have found the examples and breakdowns particularly useful.

I'm not sure that I would be advanced enough by March to apply for a scheme such as the one you mention?

Many Thanks!

I think TheReaperGuy might be talking about the scheme I am currently on, if not it my be similar, I have been a Higher Apprentice for over a year now and when I applied I had no real experience other than basic HTML. They looked for transferable skills and a passion for IT / software development.

The scheme was designed to introduce you to becoming a Software Developer, with technical training in Java to start you off.

Associate
OP
I think TheReaperGuy might be talking about the scheme I am currently on, if not it my be similar, I have been a Higher Apprentice for over a year now and when I applied I had no real experience other than basic HTML. They looked for transferable skills and a passion for IT / software development.

The scheme was designed to introduce you to becoming a Software Developer, with technical training in Java to start you off.

I'll have to look into this, it could be just what I need.

Cheers mate.

Also, does anybody know of any good sites where I could go through online tutorials based in the browser just like code academy? It seems like a really great way to learn and would compliment the book I'm working through well. The only problem is I can't find anywhere that does Java.

Thanks Guys.

Associate
My route to coding for a living is a little different and might help.

I do have a degree in software engineering but I avoided coding companies and software houses on the basis id be a monkey at a machine for my first few years. I did not have my degree when I was hired and it was not the basis of my employment or direction. Just being the guy who gets stuff done in the right company can definitely take you places.

I started as a data analyst for a SAP partner startup venture with 20 people, in Belfast. I have been here 3 years and in that time ive been developing to support consultants, myself and to push innovation.

I have had SAP showcasing my products in Las Vegas, Madrid and Amsterdam on behalf of client installations. I am currently working and living in Bangalore travelling between the ITPL here and Dubai on a new mobile development project.

My initial salary wasnt great but I have had 3 pay rises and due another come summer, my current pay is more than double what I started on and more than all my peers who graduated at the same time.

Its alternative and could work for you but its not straightforward or easy.

Wish you all the best

Associate
Things to look at:

Create a LinkedIn profile and start networking with industry professionals/groups/companies

Create and maintain a portfolio of your work on Github or some such

Join BCS and use all their resources for starting your career

Back
Top Bottom