How to getthe best out of Octopus Flux

This does seem to happen to me quite regularly.
There is clearly some issue.
They fix it very quickly if you let them know however.
I phoned them today as 3 emails over 12 days have had no replies. My bill was there just not applied to my account, when I questioned why he seemed to imply that as my billing period was from first to last day of each month and my direct debit to them was set to be taken on first day of each month that their computer couldn't handle it, so I got them to change the direct debit date to 15th so that excuse wont wash for next month. ;)

Anyone using this to gather info on their Octopus Flux Elec & gas use? Its browser based which for me is better for my very old eyes. Its not difficult to set up and seems to be pretty accurate too.
https://energy.guylipman.com/sm/getstarting

Personally no as I know the rough patterns of use I have, so calculators won't really change much.

Trying to max the export at the peak rates where I can.

Sent Octopus a tweet about this. It's something to do with the meter (Landis+Gyr E470 SMETS1), a defect that the manufacturer and Octopus are working on, that causes the export readings to get doubled. Not quite sure why as it shows the correct reading on the meters display.
Just to add to this. The meter is going to be changed at some point. Whatever the issue is, it can’t be fixed. Good that Octopus followed up on it, just got to wait for an appointment date now. Do the MPAN’s stay the same, both import and export, when a meter is changed?

Press version here as well:

Looks like key info is:
  • Same import/export rate (bit like old Tesla tariff)
  • Off-peak (7PM - 4PM) 10%~ less than SVR (£0.27/kWh)
  • On-peak (4PM - 7PM) 20%~ higher than SVR (£0.36/kWh)
Without a nice cheap overnight price, I struggle to see how this will work better than Go etc in the winter. Even current Flux has £0.20/kWh at 2AM - 5AM.

Lose control of when the system charges/discharges, which could mean importing or exporting when you don't expect it to.

Last edited:
Yes, seems like it would be pretty good in the summer with the high export rate, but pretty poor in the winter. Obviously you would still get the 10% saving compared to the standard rate but don't think that will work out as good as the even the Flux rate when a large proportion of power is coming from the grid. Also, not so sure about losing control over the charging\discharging, depending on exactly what rules it used and how clever it was it might work out OK but not so keen on the idea.

Would be interesting to see someone run some figures though as maybe it works out better than it seems and I do have a GivEnergy battery so it is an option and don't have an EV so the very cheap overnight rates like Go etc. aren't an option for me.

If I am reading that right they want you to agree to force export daily at peak hours?

Indeed hence why it's limited to givenergy kit at the moment which has good api integration. But as someone pointed out above can't see how it will be better than go come the winter months unless you're a heavy user

Last edited:
The ideal would be a heavily paying export plan over 8 months and a go plan over 4 months. If they let you quickly change plans without an annual lock in that would be perfect.

Just to update, both electricity and gas smart meters are being changed tomorrow. Surprisingly quick but apparently there had been a cancellation.
Took about an hour for the meters to be changed on Thursday. Appear to be working ok, readings are showing in the Octopus app. Although the new IHD just has a message saying “Gas supply disconnected”. It worked for maybe 12 hours and now shows nothing for the gas. Electricity is fine though. Also waiting for the export readings to show again. Still has the make and serial number for the old electricity meter on the dashboard. Guess someone has to manually change that one.

Back
Top Bottom