How to getthe best out of Octopus Flux

My Flux this month is looking like it's going to be less lucrative than last, though I think I'll get to a very slightly negative bill.

Weather too up/down to really make much profit, though some is better than none :)
Yeh, I made about £50 profit this month, compared to about £120 last month. My billing date is the 22nd so the month's were almost evenly either side of the longest day, but this last month has had miserable weather, only 2 days when I hit over 30KWh compared to almost half the days the previous month.

Also, 1 year ago today that I had my panels and batteries installed, looks like I've benefitted by just under £1500 in that time, so currently looking at a payback time of about 6.5 years which is not bad IMO.

Last edited:
Yeh, I made about £50 profit this month, compared to about £120 last month. My billing date is the 22nd so the month's were almost evenly either side of the longest day, but this last month has had miserable weather, only 2 days when I hit over 30KWh compared to almost half the days the previous month.

Also, 1 year ago today that I had my panels and batteries installed, looks like I've benefitted by just under £1500 in that time, so currently looking at a payback time of about 6.5 years which is not bad IMO.

Nicely played sir, I think my timeline for ROI is similar to yours as well as the rough benefit so far. About 40 kWh away from 4 mWh since last September, so hopefully get a few hundred more kWh in August.

Only taken 3 and a half months, but i'm finally on Flux Export!!!
It took us two months aswell. The issue was with EDF though with ours. Our export MPAN was incorrectly listed as de-energised on the national database. It took a lot of twitter DMs backwards and forwards to get to the bottom of the issue and then had to ask EDF to remedy it. Octopus then had our export MPAN as an import meter so that had to be sorted. Got there eventually!

why so long?
Meter wouldn't send half hourly export, took them 6 weeks to establish this then another month to wait for the meter to be exchanged on13th july which connected to import immediately and took them 2.5 weeks to do export readings....Smart meters are great. Back dated to 13th july anyway.

Slight change to the export rules from Octopus! no longer need MCS.

That will be the day.

you do

5.5 For solar, wind and micro-CHP generation assets, you should be able to demonstrate that the generation asset is suitably certified via:

(i) the Microgeneration Certification Scheme (MCS) certification

I think we will know that bit paper means nothing, except we can actually get paid decent money for our exports. What it doesn't actually mean is it's been installed properly, or works properly. In fact I'm baffled* why they insist on it, they don't even ask for proof that the electrical installation has been signed off.

*When you add up all the systems that don't have MCS, because it's not a legal requirement, so solar can legitimately be installed without it, there must be an awful lot exported that's either not paid for at all, or they get peanuts for it, someone somewhere is profiting big time.

Unfortunately MCS is something that has managed to hang on after the FITS systems.

That will be the day.

I think we will know that bit paper means nothing, except we can actually get paid decent money for our exports. What it doesn't actually mean is it's been installed properly, or works properly. In fact I'm baffled* why they insist on it, they don't even ask for proof that the electrical installation has been signed off.

*When you add up all the systems that don't have MCS, because it's not a legal requirement, so solar can legitimately be installed without it, there must be an awful lot exported that's either not paid for at all, or they get peanuts for it, someone somewhere is profiting big time.

Unfortunately MCS is something that has managed to hang on after the FITS systems.
I totally agree mate……especially with the issues being reported on here and mcs not doing anything about them.

It does appear that Octopus are looking at dropping the requirement for MCS, great news if this does go through.

Just had an email to say my home mini is arriving soon. So will see up to data through the octopus app on usage and export.

As ive not set-up the iotawatt yet, its still on my desk. i will see what data i get from that and may sell the iota watt instead

I know, but apparently there is a firmware issues with some smart meters, and they don't show negative real time power readings, hence my Glow IHD display doesn't report live export power, just 0. Works fine if we're importing though.

Glow IHD display allows HA to read live data from the smart meter.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom