How to getthe best out of Octopus Flux

Just had an offer of £65 from lost export between April and June for the failure to move me over to Flux, accepted it just to get this closed at last. Managing to export the battery for 3 hours every day currently, so making £2 or 3 per day minimum even accounting for overnight charging. Obviously bit limited by the Gen 1's 2.6KW max discharge rate.

I may have miss led with my comment on the octopus mini.

It does show last 5 min or 30 min use either exported or imported watts with a -sign against exports but it doesn't show your use today or yesterday in graph form for exports/imports. The closest is 2 days behind and it wont give you the cost at all, just the kWh used and the 30min slot it was used in. So today it will show 9th August data.

I have personally found my PVoutput will when the tariffs are set up give me down to 5mins live data with costs that over 24hrs are correct to within 1-2p of Octopus's numbers. It also gives me the splits on cost across the tariffs.

I have also been using this web based calculator from Guy Lipman https://energy.guylipman.com/sm/bills

It will give you your import and export costs and your gas bill as well, its not live and gets its data in the afternoon of the next day, but it does an excellent job of laying out the bill in tariff costs and is again within 1-2p of the final Octopus costs.

There is of course Octopus watch for £1.99 this app will give you your Electric and gas costs 2 days behind also.

Some update on the mini….mine is showing live export, live import. But its only showing accumulative import on the graphs for the day and not export. Hopefully they will add export data to the graphs soon.

and to add to that, i also get a live page now on octo-aid too, which also shows peak demand and peak export and the time they happened.

Last edited:
Rubbish month for me but was to be expected seeing as it's pretty much been non stop rain. Still can't sniff at a gas & elec bill of £24 for the month of which the SC accounts for £20 of it

More fun from Octopus, tried to get a refund after my big export amount I have had credited, oh we need to get your account up to date and we've found £100 of missing billing somehow...which are charged at the flux lowest values, so they've missed 500+ kwh of input in less than 6 months, which is more than I've consumed in that time according to Givenergy... now had a chance to investigate and found they've billed me twice for about 6 weeks usage...

Switching back to Go myself, it's been a decent run on Flux though.

I should have waited a little more, but it's fine I think.

For anyone else trying to move from Flux to Go or similar, it looks like it will fail if you aren't on SEG export, so need to switch that first, makes it hard to time a good day to switch.

It's 30 peak / 9.5 off-peak currently.

May change with the October changes to get a little cheaper even with SVR dropping.

In your case with a larger array and more battery capacity I'd say ride Flux out for a bit longer yes. I'm at a point where there is only so much Flux can do for me as I use a lot of what comes in anyway.

Back
Top Bottom