• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How to overclock a 7850 past 1050MHz?

Soldato
OP
Hex has an MSI that clocks like a beast. To 7950 I think he said!
I think that a 7850 @ 1200/5800 clocks is pretty much equal to a stock 7950 or GTX580. Of course, the 7950 will overclock way past this, but it costs nearly twice as much. The 7850 is probably the best value "fully capable upto 1920x1200" card available at the moment.

Soldato
OP
What a great thread!

My question is for 2560x1600 res will a 7850 OCed cut it? Otherwise it will be a 7950 but upgrade monies are limited.
If you want to run max settings on the latest games, a single 7850 won't be enough at 2560x1600. However, if you are happy to turn some of the setting down a notch, it should be fine.

For Ultra settings @ 2560x1600 in games such as BF3 you really need a GTX680, 7970 or 7850's in crossfire. 7850 crossfire will be a fair bit faster than a single 7970.

Soldato
OP
Id like to avoid xfire/sli if possible. I mostly play DCS which does not support multigpu. I am looking forward to Arma3 and CnC Generals 2 however which makes me think they will be a lot more demanding at those resolutions.

Dammit I was set on buying a 7950 until I saw your thread!
Well, as you want to avoid dual cards, the 7950 will be the safest bet for 1600P res.

Soldato
OP
Damn I can't seem to get either of my cards over 1160mhz, I don't understand how people are easily reaching 1200mhz. My temps are fine, but the screen just freezes or the screen goes black :S.
Have you tried them individually? Crossfire/SLI setups always seem to reduce clocks by a bit.

Soldato
OP
Yeah, I know it's of reference design, but I really want to know whether the components used to construct said design are of decent quality.

From past experiences they're poorly constructed and the fans are noisy even at low rpm. This was a cheapy cheapy 5770 from 2 years ago though, so they may use better quality components these days.
All reference cards will be built to exactly the same specification. VTX, Powercolor etc just slap different stickers on them and design their own packaging. Infact, my VTX card doesn't even have a VTX label on it (it is straight off the reference production line).

Currently, I believe most (if not all all) 7850's have reference PCB's. Sapphire, ASUS and MSI stick non-reference coolers on them, but the PCB's use the same components. It usually takes a few months before OEM's start getting creative and cutting component costs.

Soldato
OP
anyone running a reference card? any noticable fan noise difference compared with say a sapphire non ref cooler?
I have a reference card and can honnestly say it is very very quiet. Only when I overclock massively does the fan crank up to noticeable levels, and even then it is not too bad.

I imagine that the Sapphire and MSI Frozr's are better for extreme overclocks, but the reference cards are pretty good for those on a tighter budget.

Soldato
OP
I remember getting flamed in the other thread for saying the HD 7850 2Gb was a better buy than the EVGA GTX 480 at £185.. Turns out I was right haha :p
Perhaps that was before anyone had pushed the 7850's past the 1050MHz barrier:D. An extra 200MHz is what launches these cards past the 480 and into the stock 580 league.

This and an overclocked 480 will probably offer very similar performance, however this will obviously run much cooler, quieter, suck less juice, and have the extra 512mb VRAM.

Soldato
OP
Last day playing with the 7850 today. Tomorrow the system I built goes to it's new owner.

Great card. If a Sugo could take crossfire I may even of dumped my GTX680 for two of these.

Soldato
OP
So, is it really worthwhile overclocking these cards?

Here's the answer:).
bf3lr.jpg

64227302.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Nice set of results there 555BUK. How did you bench the results to get consistency? Did you do it over a single player campaign section? or just a selection of MP.
I used one of the most intensive single player maps - Operation Guillotine. After the end of the title sequence I ran Fraps 3 minute time demo and followed exactly the same paths. There are lots of near explosions and particle effects on this level to stress the card.

I get very similar results within large Multiplayer maps, but becasue enviroments/explosions change so much from game to game it is hard to obtain even circumstances. During real gameplay, I always enable VSync, and these cards hold 60fps pretty solid when overclocked. I do see the occasional dips into the 50's, but gameplay is rock solid on Ultra with FXAA set to high. MSAA cripples these cards (even my 680 suffers with MSAA), so use FXAA setting (Post Processing) intead.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Do not install AMD Catalyst Control Centre (CCC) if you intend to overclock past 1050MHz. Itr causes problems and is not needed. Just install the regular AMD drivers.

Soldato
OP
anyone know how close a 1100 or 1200 core clocked 7850 to a stock 7950 ?
At 1200MHz it will be roughly equal to a stock 7950 or GTX580.
No MSAA on that graph. I mean yeah it shows a very impressive performance curve but still should be benched fully 'maxed'. My only gripe on otherwise excellent results :)
MSAA does not hold 60fps on a GTX680. For both my GTX680 and 7850 builds I used FXAA because it provides almost identical image quality to MSAA, without the hit.

FXAA set to high provides the equivelent of 4-8x MSAA. Why decrease performance for no real gain?

Soldato
OP
I do notice the difference using MSAA. I mean, it ain't huge by any means but definitely noticeable. Also my 680 can hold 60 FPS with it on 95% of the time. Anyway, all I meant was that the FPS numbers need to be considered against other benchmarks on the web which run generally with MSAA on and at 4x.

I wasn't trying to talk down the performance you're getting or anything - it is very impressive.
No worries dude, I just benched at the settings I would use. In order to maintain what I call good fps at 1920x1200 on Ultra, this card has to choose between either 2xMSAA or FXAA=high. For me, FXAA set to high gives better results. 8xMSAA would be nice, but the hit is too much for a sub £300 card. Benching with FXAA seemed more practical because that is what most people will end up using for these cards.

4xMSAA pulled the 1200MHz card down to 40-50fps, and 8xMSAA dropped it into the 30's. FXAA is a much better compromise.

Soldato
OP
Still getting frame rate drops. Hmmm this card should be at least equal too my 570 nay better, what going on here. I got rid of all nvidia drivers. Wonder if I need to reinstall windows?
What games and benches do you see drops in? Also, what clocks and volts are you running? My 7850 showed similar dips when I gave it too much voltage. Perhaps over-volatage protection is cutting in, or maybe you have clocked it too far?

If none or the above, try the following:-

i). Download DriverSweeper
ii). Uninstall any AMD/NVidia drivers.
iii). Reboot into Windows Safe mode
iv). Run DriverSweeper from within Safe mode. Allow it to clean all of the AMD and NVidia files it locates.
v). Reboot and install the latest official AMD drivers.

Soldato
OP
does oc graphics card really make much diff in real life?
Yep. It can make the difference between smooth and juddery gameplay, or allow you to enable extra graphics detail.
bf3lr.jpg

The average fps of the stock clocked 7850 above are equal to the minimun fps given by the 1200MHz overclocked 7850.

edit: The above overclock makes the 7850 about as fast as a stock 7950. ~£330 worth of performance for ~£180 is better value than £180 for £180.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
For people having instability issues, try leaving the VRAM at stock levels and just overclock the GPU. Once you find the max GPU clock on stock voltages, start upping the volts by 0.025v increments and up the clocks again. This will help you identify the best balance between clock speed, heat, and noise.

Once you have obtained your max/ideal GPU speed, start upping the memory.

My card clocked as follows.
*Max stable core was 1275MHx with memory at 5800MHz.
*Max stable memory was 6000MHz with core at 1150MHz
*Max for benching was 1325MHz / 6000MHz but this is VERY FAR from stable and needed 100% fan.
*At stock core 860MHz, memory was stable at 6200MHz.
*24/7 clocks were set at = 1200MHz / 5800MHz.

Max stable core and max stable memory would not co-exist on my card. I had to drop one to keep the other. Also, over-volt protection would cut in if I set clocks and voltage too high. This dramatically reduced fps.

Core clocks provide greater gains than memory clocks (atleash within Heaven, 3DMark11 & BF3).

1150MHz / 5600 MHz @ 1.150v should be safe for most cards.

Soldato
OP
Show Off!!!

I assume all the above * points were with max volts
1275MHz was only stable with fan on 80% and 1.2v. Temps and noise are far too hot on the reference cooler to keep it that high. It was completely stable (survived looped Heaven and BF3), but the cost to my ears and risk of a quick death were far too high.

24/7 clocks of 1200MHz requires 1.150v. My card does 1125MHz on stock volts of 1.075v. Perhaps I got a good one that makes several other rubbish cards in the past.

Soldato
OP
The plot thickens, taken from toms hardware:

Unfortunately, our in-depth evaluations in two different labs at opposite ends of the world turned up a handful of unexpected issues, too. Igor Wallsosek in our German office reports back with a lot of Radeon HD 7850-related issues: NewTek’s LightWave crashes with 4x AA or higher, Autodesk’s 3ds Max crashes in DirectX mode, and the card is incapable of running StarCraft II at its stock clocks

Oh dear. WHy did I not see this before? I wonder if this is a driver issue?
Just as well I didn't use NewTek’s LightWave, Autodesk’s 3ds Max, or play Starcraft at STOCK setting's then:).

I have read plenty of 7850 reviews and very few complain of any problems. Probably just more AMD launch driver glitches. Duff cards don't take 8xAA to show up hardware issues. The fact all is fine before adding 4xAA+ definately looks like beta a driver pronlem.

Back
Top Bottom