How to wire up garage RCD

Associate
These threads always make me laugh, I'm surprised there's been no "Home and Garden" related fatalities over the years.

That CU is an abomination, that'd be a contract loser for me, seriously. What is wrong with people?!

*EDIT*

Just noticed the mix and match Wylex MCB's too. Smooth.

The ONE MCB that's not matched with the rest is the new style of wylex MCB's........You can't (or maybe can, with a bit of difficulty) get hold of the old style to match in now.

Also, you do realize that the house C/U was done by a contractor and not the OP, so what's that got to do with any of this.....Just because it's not neat does not mean it's wrong in any does it?

Associate
Home and Garden is fairly new, all this stuff used to be in GD, you should have seen the advice!

Said many times that electrical threads shouldn't be allowed. The problem being, this is a custom pc building forum at heart. The users just don't find any type of electrical work beyond them, they wouldn't dream about touching gas though lol.

Very true, they should not be allowed full stop. Just for the same reason giving medical advise is not allowed on here.

Associate
The ONE MCB that's not matched with the rest is the new style of wylex MCB's........You can't (or maybe can, with a bit of difficulty) get hold of the old style to match in now.

There are bins and bins of old style breakers in most wholesalers here. They get them wholesale from the council when they do board changes. We upgraded hundreds of consumer units over the past four years as part of a kitchen and bathroom project.

Also, you do realize that the house C/U was done by a contractor and not the OP, so what's that got to do with any of this.....Just because it's not neat does not mean it's wrong in any does it?

Yeah I saw it, C&E, they've got branches in the south west. We've obviously got different standards because to me that board is dog****.

EDIT

I'm on my phone now, could have sworn that board had a Clarkson Evans sticker on it?

Last edited:
Associate
There are bins and bins of old style breakers in most wholesalers here. They get them wholesale from the council when they do board changes. We upgraded hundreds of consumer units over the past four years as part of a kitchen and bathroom project.

Yeah I saw it, C&E, they've got branches in the south west. We've obviously got different standards because to me that board is dog****.

EDIT

I'm on my phone now, could have sworn that board had a Clarkson Evans sticker on it?

Yeah I have seen the odd wholesaler have these, and we have cases full of them at our work, but when the job needs to be done in the next few days and there isn't one to hand who is going to wait around for the old style MCB when you can get the new one of the shelf the same day.

Everyone has different standards, I take pride in my work and I would not leave a C/U like that either, but as I say that does not mean mine will work/function any better just because it's neater, or for that fact get paid any more then the guy who did that (not so neat) C/U!!! Especially when it comes to council work, I don't know what it's like down in England but standards aren't superb in their sparky department up here

Man of Honour
My house was wired by an electrician but it's awful. Screws all overtightened weakening the copper wire, no sleeving on earths, no sleeving on switched lives and I daren't open up the consumer unit.

I know plenty of trades do good work, but plenty don't.

Soldato
To be fair from experience in starting out as a spark apprentice, tightening terminal screws to an inch of their life Is normal practice however it was experience that told us when to stop tightening. Most good trades are belt and braces, that was drilled into me. Unfortunately I didn't finish my apprenticeship but picked up valuable experience.

Man of Honour
If you do it often enough you get to know the feel of when copper is terminated correctly but unfortunately DIYers and those new to the trade have no idea.
This is why manufacturers are now specifying torque settings for their equipment to absolve themselves from any faults arising from poorly terminated fittings, failure to torque correctly invalidates any warranty.

Associate
This is why manufacturers are now specifying torque settings for their equipment to absolve themselves from any faults arising from poorly terminated fittings, failure to torque correctly invalidates any warranty.

I was playing with the new Wera torque mulit tip screwdriver set in City Electrical last month. What a ballache! Even my account manager said they're gash!

Associate
My house was wired by an electrician but it's awful. Screws all overtightened weakening the copper wire, no sleeving on earths, no sleeving on switched lives and I daren't open up the consumer unit.

I know plenty of trades do good work, but plenty don't.

I have a feeling this is due to a un-trained apprentice being with them and over tightening everything just to be "safe"? But the sparky should always double check work they do

Associate
I have a feeling this is due to a un-trained apprentice being with them and over tightening everything just to be "safe"? But the sparky should always double check work they do

It would definitely suggest a pup was second fixing - I'd say look in the CU, you may be pleasantly surprised.

We have the 2nd year apprentices 2nd fix whilst the spark does the board. He then has to open everything up and check the work, if he's not happy he pulls it all apart and reterminates everything. The lad then spends the next day stripping cable in the stores ;)

It's not a quick method and has pushed some rewires out by a few days but they tend not to do it again - stripping 1mm with a pair of tail shears for 8 hours is no fun lol

Permabanned
OP
It would definitely suggest a pup was second fixing - I'd say look in the CU, you may be pleasantly surprised.

We have the 2nd year apprentices 2nd fix whilst the spark does the board. He then has to open everything up and check the work, if he's not happy he pulls it all apart and reterminates everything. The lad then spends the next day stripping cable in the stores ;)

It's not a quick method and has pushed some rewires out by a few days but they tend not to do it again - stripping 1mm with a pair of tail shears for 8 hours is no fun lol

Latter sounds like experience

Soldato
The problem with torque screwdrivers on terminal screws is that it will be inaccurate due to the way multi strand cable behaves when tightened. A truer way would be to torque to specified torque then tightened with an angle gauge of some sort. However in the electrical trade this is extremely impractical. Experience.

Associate
The problem with torque screwdrivers on terminal screws is that it will be inaccurate due to the way multi strand cable behaves when tightened. A truer way would be to torque to specified torque then tightened with an angle gauge of some sort. However in the electrical trade this is extremely impractical. Experience.

In that case though if multi strand cable was used a Insulated bootlace ferrule or Uninsulated bootlace ferrule should be used and crimped.

Back
Top Bottom