How's this for beginners bike + accessories ?

Soldato
Wanting to get into cycling and hopefully within the next few weeks will be ordering the 500SE which is on offer for an outstanding price I think.

But just wanted everyone's opinion on the rest of the kit I've picked out too.

VppPfAd.png

Main use initially will be a short 5 mile commute to work. With the aim to start getting into longer social rides on a weekend.

Man of Honour
How beginner are you? Can you ride without wobbling about/nearly falling off? If so, get SPD/SLs... but if you're a complete beginner then I think the above posters might be right about getting flat peddles (for now).

Man of Honour
It's got most of the bits you need but you may want to get something a bit smaller that will fit in a saddle bag.

You'll want at least one spare inner tube to carry in a bag in case you get a puncture whilst you're out cycling. You'll also need a hand pump for this... and you'll want a track pump for home. It all starts adding up :p

You'll probably also want gloves and some glasses, come to think of it.

Man of Honour
You're going to struggle to get decent mudguards on that bike sadly. Crud Road Racer Mk IIs or SKS Race Blades would work but they both kind of suck. Cruds have the benefit of full coverage but they absolutely will rub and will limit you to 23mm thick tyres max. Race Blades only do half a job but they're a lot easier to fit/remove.

If you could find a source for Race Blade Longs I'd go for them but you probably won't be able to sadly.

Soldato
You can live without guards for now. I still haven't got any 1500 miles after buying my roadie, although I'm starting to get annoyed and want some now.

It doesn't matter how confident you are. Roadies are another level and you need flat pedals pref with toe cage to start with for a couple hundred miles. Then replace them with SPD-SL pedals like most beginner riders do. I did that exact method.

£50-60 will get you a really good fitting helmet, just try them before you buy, I got lucky with mine but I'm going for a Kask Mojito next which is £95 so ill be going for a fit haha.

Get a short sleeve Jersey and a long sleeve base layer, this will cover you in most weather conditions except rain when you'll need a jacket. Bib shorts are better than normal shorts too, nicer fit.

I wear bib shorts and Jersey most days. Pop on the base layer if its a bit cold and then the jacket if it rains. Bib tights in winter and in extreme weather waterproof trousers tucked into some decent overshoes. Cost a small fortune so far but its worth it. The auction site is a good place for bin shorts. You can get a Jersey and bib shorts for £20 delivered from China & branded team sky or other teams, obv knock off but can't complain, the bib shorts are brilliant, so much better than my other shorts and trousers, until wiggle drop me some new gear tomorrow :D

Wiggle do bib shorts and bib tights and overshoes sub £15 each. Can't complain when you look at the savings over a year.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom