HP Elitedesk 800 G1 card

Associate
Talking of different ones, I will listen to your advise and buy a better one than the 750 TI the 1050 gtx 4GB is about £147 what would the Radeon equivalent be in performance and would that cost any less or use more power?

Last edited:
Soldato
I swapped over to playing games mostly on console when the PS3 came out. A laptop has sufficed for my computing needs since then.

Only now got a desktop because I've started working from home and got fed up with noisy laptop fans. To be honest, I only got the graphics card so I could play Arkham Knight. :p

Plus, people spend a lot more than £350 for a well specced gaming machine round here.

Soldato
Incase anyone is interested, here is how to upgrade the G1 800 USDT with an MXM graphics card.

The card I used was an Ati 2gb 7650a MXM card. I believe this is the card the top spec G1 800 USDT's came with.
You need the upgraded 180w HP power supply.
A pair of M1.8 screws, with a wide head, or some kind of spacer to hold the card down, as M18 screws are tiny, and the holes in the card are - normal motherboard sized holes.
The MXM card I got didn't come with any kind of heatsink. I used a generic 40x40x30mm heatsink and attached it using Thermal Glue.
When running the MXM card, the card can only be accessed via the top of the two displayports. So you might need an adapter if you're currently using VGA.
On first startup, log into the bios and increase the idle speed for the fans.

Card installed - note I had to make a couple of washers out of drone blade tips. I left the heatsink level for 24 hours in the sun to adhere fully.

g1800USDTAti1.jpg

Disk cradle back in.

g1800USDTAti2.jpg

To aid airflow over the heatsink, I made a duct out of a spray can lid, with a bit of added duck tape to keep it in place. Not pretty, I know.

g1800USDTAti3.jpg

Just for a size comparison, the EliteDesk G1 800 USDT next to the SFF.

g1800USDTAti4.jpg

Associate
The card arrived today. Fits perfectly, fired up with no issues. I did have to go into BIOS as the clock appears to have reset itself, but didn't cause any issues.

I just fired up Arkham Knight which I could barely even get to run a 800x600 with all options turned off. It now runs perfectly at 1900x1200 with all options turned on. Well worth it.

this is very intriguing for me because I had a plan to buy this exact SFF machine to install the very same MSI 1050ti LP card, but I was discouraged by the 240W PSU..

i wonder whether that would be enough..

care to give some more info about your machine?
how well it runs, is it stable for long gaming session, etc..
i'm really interested.. :)

RCD

RCD

Associate
OP
It runs perfectly in my machine. Have run lots of games from steam etc. without any problems at all. It runs cad software and movies flawlessly
I couldn't want any more from a sff pc set up.

Associate
It runs perfectly in my machine. Have run lots of games from steam etc. without any problems at all. It runs cad software and movies flawlessly
I couldn't want any more from a sff pc set up.

the i7 4790 one?
wow that's amazing, I really want one but I thought i7 with 1050ti for 240W is really pushing it..

so your machine can handle long gaming session (2+ hours)?

any stories about your rig will be very appreciated..

Soldato
Got me tempted too now as I use a i5 SFF 400 G1 for running Zwift for my SMART Turbo bike trainer. I've installed an AMD HD6450 but it's very RAM limited and there's new 3D virtual software coming out soon and will probably need a GPU upgrade.

I'd never consider gaming on that one maybe HTPC services at most :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Played numerous long gaming sessions (Age of Empires 3, Arkham Knight, PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds). I've had absolutely no problems with my machine at all.

Full setup
HP Elitedesk G1 800
i7 4790
20gb RAM (2x8 1x4)
1tb 2.5in SSD
2tb 3.5in HD
MSI 1050ti

Associate
I decided to try a 750 TI just to see if I like gaming on a PC, I was worried it may not fit but it fitted quite easy and I love it.
I will be using this until the Amazon black Friday and if the 1050 TI is reduced I will be buying one :) here are some images of my Nvidia 3100 video card which was very grainy on Euro Truck simulator 2 and also the 750 TI which has made a massive improvement.

https://imgur.com/a/xrG9q
Q11ydfI
xrG9q

Associate
Played numerous long gaming sessions (Age of Empires 3, Arkham Knight, PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds). I've had absolutely no problems with my machine at all.

Full setup
HP Elitedesk G1 800
i7 4790
20gb RAM (2x8 1x4)
1tb 2.5in SSD
2tb 3.5in HD
MSI 1050ti
Thank you so much for your response, this gave me a lot of confidence.. :D

I think i'll try to get one soon..

Associate
@Bug One Sorry for digging out old post, I currently have a elitedesk 800g1 sff, upgraded to 8gb ram, ssd 1tb hard disk and I wanna get the Zotac or MSI gtx 1050 ti low profile, but idk if the power supply is either 240w or 420w cuz Ive sen some device specification about it and it says the 800g1 sff have a 320 w psu, I'm getting the 1050 ti low profile so if there is any disrecomendation about it please tell me or if I should buy, thank you. :^)

Soldato
The PSU can handle it fine. I've got the MSI 1050 ti and my psu is 240. Whilst the card is fine, one of the fans sometimes makes a noise - so on that basis I'd say try the Zotac.

Back
Top Bottom