HP Elitedesk 800 G1 card

Associate
Hello!

Since a few days I have a HP Elitedesk 800 G1 USDT.

CPU: i5 4670S
RAM: 8GB
GPU: AMD 7650S
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB)

Right now I was thinking if there is a possibility to upgrade the GPU.

The 800 G1 USDT offers a MXM 3.0 type A slot with provides 35W.

The actual GPU "AMD 7650S" has a TDP of 33W and delivers 576.0 GFLOPS.

Would it be possible to upgrade the GPU to a "NVIDIA Quadro M1000M". This card needs 40W and delivers 1,017.0 GFLOPS.

My question is would this work in terms of the BIOS/drivers and because the TDP is +5W (would this be an issue)?

On the other hand there is also the "NVIDIA Quadro M620 Mobile". This card has a TDP of 30W and delivers 1,000.0 GFLOPS. The only thing is that the M1000M is available on ebay in the EU and I'm not able to find a M620M.

Regards,
_tnt_

Associate
Got the same amd card and don't think it's much better than the intel 4600. Guess it will help if you want to connect more monitors but performance wise they seem to produce similar 3dmark scores.
Any other options?

Associate
Interestingly i can't get 4k output from the AMD display port (apparently they have dedicated ports) but everything is fine with the other DP. BIOS gives to option to assign primary VGA so will see if that makes a difference.

Associate
For some reason only one DP (the one for the Intel IGP outputs 4K). The output from the other DP that is connected to the AMD gives only 1080p.

Associate
Can I clarify that 1050 ti low profile will work on 240w ?

I have Elitedesk 800 G1 SFF
i5-4570
1TB HDD
8GB ram
240w psu

I really need to assure cuz lots of people around me kept on stopping me from doing this upgrade.

I read the thread, which is your real psu wattage ? 240 or 320 ?

Associate
@Bug One The GTX 760m card is 55W, how were you able to cool it down only with the glued heatsink and that tin can of yours? I suspect you must have done some other modifications for sure.

On a side note on the topic of Radeon HD 7650A being comparable to the Intel HD Graphics - agreed. But the intel drivers are VERY crappy and although in benchmarking you might get similar results, in actual gaming, the discrete card would shine. Not to mention that game emulation (what I use this machine for) runs 10x times better on discrete dedicated card than on integrated one.

Soldato
@Bug One The GTX 760m card is 55W, how were you able to cool it down only with the glued heatsink and that tin can of yours? I suspect you must have done some other modifications for sure.

On a side note on the topic of Radeon HD 7650A being comparable to the Intel HD Graphics - agreed. But the intel drivers are VERY crappy and although in benchmarking you might get similar results, in actual gaming, the discrete card would shine. Not to mention that game emulation (what I use this machine for) runs 10x times better on discrete dedicated card than on integrated one.
It's not a mxm card. It's a proper GTX 760 externally via an eGPU adaptor on the M.2 socket.

Back
Top Bottom