HP LP2475w, IPS 24" Official Thread! (Now Available from OcUK)

Associate
1000th post! (in this thread) ;)

I took delivery of my LP2475w last week - I'm very impressed. However, the font/text is driving me crazy. There appears to be a grey "shadow" to the right of all vertical text lines, making the font, to me, appear very slightly fuzzy. It's quite annoying. I keep naturally wanting to squint, blink or rub my eyes like maybe I've got some dust or sleep on my eye balls.

hpfont.jpg

Look one pixel to the right of the first vertical line of "R" - the line is grey, not white.

I've tried turning ClearType on and off, neither fix it (though having it on makes it worse, and renders the shadow red instead of grey). And I've tried using Microsoft's ClearType Tuning sofware to no avail.

I'm wondering if this is XP aliasing the font? This shading occurs across the entire system; not just in Firefox, IE etc., even on the desktop.

I'd appreciate any help on this. I'm tired of having to double check I'm not just drunk and seeing blurry - ha.

Associate
I just got my HP LP2475w through,just this minute from overclockers.

Mines showing Manufactured sept 09
GIG153
Made in poland

FW GIG076

Thanks for the info. HP told me that my replacement would be GIG163 with GIG076 F/W, and I wanted to see if they knew what they were talking about. I wasn't aware that there was anything newer than 143/072.

Made in Poland? Never heard that one before...

7hz

7hz

Associate
Got my replacement from (another shop) yesterday:

Hardware Version GIG153
Firmware Version GIG076

Manufactured Sept 09
Made In Poland

I sent the last one back due to the colour cast problem. I didn't take a note of it's F/W / H/W numbers, sorry.

The new one looks good to me, no colour cast I can see.

Now all I need to do is learn about colour management, which seems overcomplicated for some reason :(

Associate
I bought a LP2475w directly from HP, manufacturing date AUG 09, GIG 153 - GIG 076, the screen has a vertical tint, in the sense that setting a white (255,255,255) desktop background it will start with white on the top and it will become more like slightly grey on the bottom of the screen.

I have spent some time trying to calibrate the color profile using the Spyder 3 Pro, I couldn't get the white to look white enough it always looked more like dirty white, I think it has something to do with the fact that unfortunately the brightness on this monitor needs to be set around 16-20 in order to make it usable for more than 2 hours.

Desktop colors are usually very saturated, but that was expected since this is a wide gamut monitor, now I though that I could go around that by selecting the sRGB setting on the COLOR menu of the OSD but no, sRGB is practically a joke, HP is not using any kind of color matrix to convert the wide gamut value to reasonable sRGB, instead they are only toning down the reds and magenta I guess....still you type in Google Chrome news.sky.com and you eyes will be assaulted by the radioactive red of the SKY web site.

Now you can go around that by playing with the saturation controls (Digital Vibrance on nVidia, Saturation on ATI) on you graphic card control panel , or by using the HP supplied software, the displaymate, that helps in also setting the black RGB levels, but if you use an Apple MAC, as I do then you are out of luck as unfortunately the OSD on this monitor only helps with the primaries RGB no saturation control is available, no way to also set the correct values for MAGENTA, CYAN etc. also there are no hardware profiles in order to select COLOR/BRIGHTNESS/CONTRAST values on the fly.

I am in love with the wide gamut of the LP2475w, pictures never looked this good on any other monitor I possessed, but once you are on the desktop this monitor seems to push you to fiddle more and more with the settings because something just doesn't look right.

The image quality on my HP W2207h in comparison looks much better considering that this (2207) is a TN 6bit monitor.

Still, the 2475w has the same LG panel APPLE uses on their Apple cinema displays, my question to HP is how come Apple managed to find a solution for desktop color saturation and the wide gamut of these panels an u haven't?
Consider the fact that the Apple Cinema display has no OSD of any sort. It just looks right straight out of the box. No need for calibration or any kind of fiddling with parameters.

I'll be returning the monitor tomorrow, I will be trying the DELL U2410 instead, the DELL OSD gives u much more control over the colors and if I am lucky I may get one without any pink/green tint issue.

Associate
Thanks for the info. HP told me that my replacement would be GIG163 with GIG076 F/W, and I wanted to see if they knew what they were talking about. I wasn't aware that there was anything newer than 143/072.

Made in Poland? Never heard that one before...

Hello there, registered just so i could comment on this.
I had a GIG 111 with GIG 045 FW. The thing died , simply wouldnt turn itself on anymore, so i called hp and got a replacement, that was last week.
I got this 163/076 combo you mention, and its a bit weird. The stamp in the rear of the unit says manufactured September 2008, and the 163 just happens to be a little white sticker on top of the old gig111 number, with the 163 written with a pencil... So i dont know what to thing, the screen is ok but it has a veeery subtle green to pink fade from lower left to top right, which seems to be a common issue with gig111 revisions. Also the 6500 and 9300 color modes are almost the same now, and notably changed from my old fw45. 6500 seems a lot colder-bluer than in fw045. And the srgb mode, which used to be almost the same than 6500 mode, now is muuuuch darker, like an order of magnitude. Im not sure if they messed with the Custom color mode too, id say they didnt.
So right now im trying to get used to the tinge thing.. its so subtle that most people wouldnt even know its there, but i was especifically looking for it so i noticed, and now i cant help but noticing every time im working on a white background. I might call hp again and ask for another unit, but i suspect i could end with an even worse case. Ive read cases of people turning back up to 5 monitors, with all of them having some funny issue, and i guess the most of the monitors hp has available for replacements are units that have been rejected by other customers, maybe even several times, in the hope that with time, the less demanding customers will absorb an important part of the funny units.

Associate
I bought a LP2475w directly from HP, manufacturing date AUG 09, GIG 153 - GIG 076, the screen has a vertical tint, in the sense that setting a white (255,255,255) desktop background it will start with white on the top and it will become more like slightly grey on the bottom of the screen.

I have spent some time trying to calibrate the color profile using the Spyder 3 Pro, I couldn't get the white to look white enough it always looked more like dirty white, I think it has something to do with the fact that unfortunately the brightness on this monitor needs to be set around 16-20 in order to make it usable for more than 2 hours.

Desktop colors are usually very saturated, but that was expected since this is a wide gamut monitor, now I though that I could go around that by selecting the sRGB setting on the COLOR menu of the OSD but no, sRGB is practically a joke, HP is not using any kind of color matrix to convert the wide gamut value to reasonable sRGB, instead they are only toning down the reds and magenta I guess....still you type in Google Chrome news.sky.com and you eyes will be assaulted by the radioactive red of the SKY web site.

Now you can go around that by playing with the saturation controls (Digital Vibrance on nVidia, Saturation on ATI) on you graphic card control panel , or by using the HP supplied software, the displaymate, that helps in also setting the black RGB levels, but if you use an Apple MAC, as I do then you are out of luck as unfortunately the OSD on this monitor only helps with the primaries RGB no saturation control is available, no way to also set the correct values for MAGENTA, CYAN etc. also there are no hardware profiles in order to select COLOR/BRIGHTNESS/CONTRAST values on the fly.

I am in love with the wide gamut of the LP2475w, pictures never looked this good on any other monitor I possessed, but once you are on the desktop this monitor seems to push you to fiddle more and more with the settings because something just doesn't look right.

The image quality on my HP W2207h in comparison looks much better considering that this (2207) is a TN 6bit monitor.

Still, the 2475w has the same LG panel APPLE uses on their Apple cinema displays, my question to HP is how come Apple managed to find a solution for desktop color saturation and the wide gamut of these panels an u haven't?
Consider the fact that the Apple Cinema display has no OSD of any sort. It just looks right straight out of the box. No need for calibration or any kind of fiddling with parameters.

I'll be returning the monitor tomorrow, I will be trying the DELL U2410 instead, the DELL OSD gives u much more control over the colors and if I am lucky I may get one without any pink/green tint issue.

which has a better contrast the hp or dell monitor or are both the same for contrast blackiness ? be interesting to see what yuou think of the dell over the hp

Associate
Hello there, registered just so i could comment on this.
I had a GIG 111 with GIG 045 FW. The thing died , simply wouldnt turn itself on anymore, so i called hp and got a replacement, that was last week.
I got this 163/076 combo you mention, and its a bit weird. The stamp in the rear of the unit says manufactured September 2008, and the 163 just happens to be a little white sticker on top of the old gig111 number, with the 163 written with a pencil...

dscf3245.jpg

Are they taking the **** or what? I don't know what to think either...

Anyway, that monitor had one dead and two stuck pixels so I sent it back.

That was my 4th replacement LP2475, and I think I'm ready to give up.

EDIT: I should probably mention that I did notice ONE difference between 122/052 and the so called 163/076; It was much quieter during operation. The 122/052 makes a hum that I find quite annoying, but the 163/076 was all but silent. Apart from that, nothing else was different, which is confusing considering that 122/052 and 163/076 are several hardware/firmware versions apart... The 163/076 still had the same old 1080p and pink tint issues etc.

Does anyone know exactly what hardware/firmware changes they are making to warrant so many different versions? I wish the idiots would provide changelogs...

Last edited:
Associate
I am really tempted by this monitor, but I have a couple of concerns:

a) Can I be sure that I get the H-IPS revision, instead of S-IPS one? The formers is deemed to have fixed quite a few issues and is a better panel, so I want that one for sure.

b) I can get it at another place for a tenner cheaper than OcUK and for £6 extra I'd get it delivered this Saturday. Is it worth bargaining with chaps on the phone to get them to knock Saturday delivery off?

Many thanks lads and ladies for your assistance :)

Associate
I ordered one anyway. And now OcUK are out of stock. For the sake of those who missed out I hope that new stock price will be decent.

Associate
Consider the fact that the Apple Cinema display has no OSD of any sort. It just looks right straight out of the box. No need for calibration or any kind of fiddling with.

You do know that apple cinema displays are calibrated at the factory so there is no need for 'fiddling', as you state you can't!

You might consider getting a second hand 23"cinema rather than a new HP.

Associate
I am getting abit fed up to choise a decent 1200 res monitor, it's this or the dell whatsoever you think.

Dell seem to have to many problems is this the same case for the hp ?

Can anyone help le is this monitor worth it as I am comming from a CRT and never owned a LCD screen. Does the hp only have the pink tint problem as the dell seems to have about 4 other thinks wroung with it.

Can anyone give me some advice on waht to do thanks

Associate
I took a chance and got one of these from the B grade section here for cheap. Can't really see any dodgy tinting issues. Either it's fine or I'm too blind to notice anything. I noticed some issues with selecting inputs. After playing around in the OSD and turning things like auto detect/switch off it seems alright. The first time the power saving options in Vista kicked in and shut the monitor off, I couldn't get it to come back to life again without restarting. Not sure which setting did it but it doesn't seem to do that anymore.

I guess I'll see how it goes but I'm pretty happy with my purchase :) It's a rev GIG153, firmware 076, manufactured in Poland/oct 2009 if anyone's curious.

Associate
Hello chaps,
I received a new 2475 a few days ago after long phone calls to HP.
To cut a long story short, I had been on the Dell 2410 'roundabout', and, to my cost, I might add !! Anyway, this display was manufactured Dec 2009, it is REV : GIG 173 and FW REV : GIG 077, and guess what....It works !
After calibration {eye one} it is first class, no ghosting, no uneven colour or colour banding, crisp black on white text. I would recommend this display to anyone who was buying 24in monitor, it makes the Dell look pathetic!
I must add that this display DOES need calibration, if you cannot afford on it, beg borrow or .... one, it really makes the difference.
Happy Christmas to you all and a prosperous new year.
David-M.

Associate
Hello,
There really is no comparison to this and the Dell, even after extensive calibration, the text quality was quite frankly, rubbish! There was a 'rainbow' effect and blurring which gave me real eye strain.
I am a freelance designer for the automotive industry, so display quality is of paramount importance to me, the Dell was a poor choice.
Something that may be helpful to you is that I was using an NEC display while the Dell 'problem' was going on, I think it was a wmgx3, a very good display {on loan from a colleague}and I can quite honestly say that the display quality is as good on the lp2475 or certainly on a par with that of the NEC.
I hope this has been a helpful guide to you as I know very well the consequences of a 'bad' choice can be.
David-M.

Back
Top Bottom