HP Microserver+XPEnology

Associate
Ended up upgrading mine today following a few guides. Took a few attempts but only once I realised I was misreading. Now on 6.1 and haven't lost any data! Haven't gone to 6.2 as the Jun Loader I use doesn't go that far but 6.1 is fine.

I initially went 5.0 to 5.2 last night, not sure that was necessary and coincidentally moved up to 6.1 about an hour ago.

I used this guide to go from 5.0 to 5.2 (https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/4383-migration-dsm-50-to-52/) but some of the links are dead so you have to google for the files.
Hello.
Quick couple of questions if that's OK.
What are the advantages of going to 6.1? I'm currently running 5.2
Do you retain all your settings? Firewall rules and any auto syncing folders?

Thanks

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Hello.
Quick couple of questions if that's OK.
What are the advantages of going to 6.1? I'm currently running 5.2
Do you retain all your settings? Firewall rules and any auto syncing folders?

Thanks

Good questions! On the first part, I'm not so sure but I'd hazard a guess security patches primarily, the interface isn't much different that I can tell. My primary reason was simply to be on something more recent and hopefully more secure.

Re the second bit, you have a choice to migrate or start a fresh. For me when I moved from 5.0 to 5.2 I had an issue in that my 'main' drive didn't have enough free space (own issue I was aware of) so just did a clean install (of DSM, my files remained).

From 5.2 to 6.1 I made plenty of changes so when I upgraded I migrated and all settings were saved. You can backup your config prior to upgrading.

Just be sure to follow the guide to the letter. Thankfully most of my data of lost wouldn't be too much hassle but I did backup the important bits just in case.

Associate
Good questions! On the first part, I'm not so sure but I'd hazard a guess security patches primarily, the interface isn't much different that I can tell. My primary reason was simply to be on something more recent and hopefully more secure.

Re the second bit, you have a choice to migrate or start a fresh. For me when I moved from 5.0 to 5.2 I had an issue in that my 'main' drive didn't have enough free space (own issue I was aware of) so just did a clean install (of DSM, my files remained).

From 5.2 to 6.1 I made plenty of changes so when I upgraded I migrated and all settings were saved. You can backup your config prior to upgrading.

Just be sure to follow the guide to the letter. Thankfully most of my data of lost wouldn't be too much hassle but I did backup the important bits just in case.
Cheers. So I think I've seen that config backup option.
I'll take one of my drives out just in case.
What guide did you use? Saw someone linked a YouTube guide earlier in the thread. Is the the best one?

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Cheers. So I think I've seen that config backup option.
I'll take one of my drives out just in case.
What guide did you use? Saw someone linked a YouTube guide earlier in the thread. Is the the best one?

Let me have a look, might have to fire the bookmark across in the morning mate.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Need to check what version I'm on and look at upgrading, didn't the xpenology site get shutdown?

I think the .me site was, yup, however others have popped up and you can get everything you need. I don't see myself bothering to change anything else now - I thought while upgrading from 5.0 I may as well give it a go, it takes a couple of mins each time but now I'm at 6.1 that's it for me.

Back
Top Bottom