HP Microserver+XPEnology

Soldato
Then updating the loader should do the trick... the Xpenology forums have been updated so you should be able to ask questions now without it getting lost in the mire of the loader release thread... While I'm fairly sure my method was how I did it, you should check just in case!

Associate
I am just like amodder gen8 with xp5.2 , last time I looked the upgrade instructions were a bit fruity, with vid and pid of your usb stick required.. is there now a reasonably simple upgrade process to 6.1 ??

Soldato
I just don't have the spheres, I can guarantee if I did it I would regret it ;) (from bitter experience).

I'm almost tempted to buy another Gen8 and build a 6.1 box and then just copy the data over.

Associate
Hey guys,

I have Xpenology version 6.0.2 running on a HP N54L microserver. I want to upgrade to the Gen8 as it has more grunt so I can transcode Plex easier.

Has anyone upgraded their Xpenology from running on a N54L to a Gen8?

As it is a baremetal install on the N54l could I take my USB boot up stick and all the hard drives out and simply insert into the Gen8 and not loose any data? And then do the updates to bring it to DSM 6.1.

Thanks

Last edited:
Associate
Hey guys,

I have Xpenology version 6.0.2 running on a HP N54L microserver. I want to upgrade to the Gen8 as it has more grunt so I can transcode Plex easier.

Has anyone upgraded their Xpenology from running on a N54L to a Gen8?

As it is a baremetal install on the N54l could I take my USB boot up stick and all the hard drives out and simply insert into the Gen8 and not loose any data? And then do the updates to bring it to DSM 6.1.

Thanks

Just to follow up as I didn't get a response the answer is yes you can. I simply took out the USB boot stick out along with the drives and inserted into the Gen8 (have to put the drives in the same order) and it booted up fine without any problems.

Associate
You can migrate all the way up to 6.1.4 if you have a Gen8. You will need to update your boot-loader 1.02b. This link helped me: https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7973-tutorial-installmigrate-dsm-52-to-61x-juns-loader/

It works fine as I just did it on mines a couple days ago.

Looking to upgrade my Gen 8 from 5.2 to 6.1 with this and I'm running through following the tutorial but I just can't get the server to boot from the USB.

It works fine for the 5.2 USB but doesn't wanna play ball with Jun's bootloader. Did you use Jun's or Genesis' MBR version?

Did you have to modify any BIOS settings or anything to get it to boot?

Associate
Looking to upgrade my Gen 8 from 5.2 to 6.1 with this and I'm running through following the tutorial but I just can't get the server to boot from the USB.

It works fine for the 5.2 USB but doesn't wanna play ball with Jun's bootloader. Did you use Jun's or Genesis' MBR version?

Did you have to modify any BIOS settings or anything to get it to boot?

I used Juns loader v1.02b. Did you edit the grub file to add the vid and pid details before you wrote the loader to your USB? My gen8 is just set to boot from USB. I use the internal USB port.

Also I did all the steps on a window machine.

Associate
I used Juns loader v1.02b. Did you edit the grub file to add the vid and pid details before you wrote the loader to your USB? My gen8 is just set to boot from USB. I use the internal USB port.

Also I did all the steps on a window machine.
Hmmmm, thanks for the response.

Yeah, I edited the grub file with the USB vid and pid properties using a Windows machine too...

Maybe it's a duff USB. I don't wanna use the one that has 5.2 on it just in case it all goes **** up so I'll get hold of another USB tomorrow and try that.

Associate
Hmmmm, thanks for the response.

Yeah, I edited the grub file with the USB vid and pid properties using a Windows machine too...

Maybe it's a duff USB. I don't wanna use the one that has 5.2 on it just in case it all goes **** up so I'll get hold of another USB tomorrow and try that.

Really not sure then in that case. If it boots up using 5.2 then your USB bios settings should be fine as it is booting from that. I wouldn't risk wiping the one that has 5.2 on it. Whenever I upgrade my bootloaders I always keep the old USB incase it didn't work I can always revert.

Also did you use Win32 Disk Imager to burn the image file onto the USB? That makes it bootable.

Soldato
Anyone installed dsm 5.2 5967 update 5 on Gen8 bare metal yet?
Or will i have to be the Guinea Pig?:(

https://www.synology.com/en-uk/releaseNote/DS3615xs

Looks like Version: 5.2-5967-6 is out, let us know how you get on

pog_zpste1zpx49.png

Back
Top Bottom