HP Reverb G2 uk release date?

Soldato
Sure, its density thats the true variable I agree. But I dont think we know the true size of the screens so we cant work this out?

three of those headsets are similar in FOV so resolution will be a good proxy for density. The Index is the outlier because it's pixels are over a wider FOV, presumably lowering its pixel density?

Well even if you knew the size of the screens you still couldn't work it out unless you also knew pixel size, because two screens of the same size and the same pixel count, both being viewed through the same lenses with the same FoV, can have different pixel fill and thus SDE as shown in that image above.

Its not about the number of pixels in a given area, it's about how much of that area is filled by actual pixel.... A subtle difference perhaps, but contingent on realising that not all pixels are the same size. In a given area you can have X amount of tiny pixels with a lot of "dead" space, or you can have X amount of larger pixels with very little "dead" space. Resolution the same, screen size the same, fill factor very different.

The FoV or pixels per degree is something of a red herring in regard to SDE and I believe you are thinking of pixelation or perceived lack of resolution rather than SDE directly there. Given the exact same screen with a wider FoV of course the SDE will also become more noticeable as everything is being magnified, but again it's not directly related to the extent that you could say wider FoV headset A will have more SDE than narrower FoV headset B.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sure, its density thats the true variable I agree. But I dont think we know the true size of the screens so we cant work this out?

three of those headsets are similar in FOV so resolution will be a good proxy for density. The Index is the outlier because it's pixels are over a wider FOV, presumably lowering its pixel density?

The Index FOV is actually adjustable - if you dial out the lens distance then you probably can get a higher pixel density. But yes, at the closest eye position the pixels are spread over a larger FOV.

It's the flexibility of the Index which is its best point - adjustable FOV, adjustable refresh rate, adjustable brightness, adjustable resolution, (Quest 2 does not have a brighness slider!). But it does make using it more of a hassle. Quest 2 is a more console like experience.

Soldato
Well even if you knew the size of the screens you still couldn't work it out unless you also knew pixel size, because two screens of the same size and the same pixel count, both being viewed through the same lenses with the same FoV, can have different pixel fill and thus SDE as shown in that image above.

Its not about the number of pixels in a given area, it's about how much of that area is filled by actual pixel.... the FoV or pixels per degree is something of a red herring in regard to SDE and you are thinking of pixelation or perceived lack of resolution rather than SDE.

Ah i see now thanks. I didnt see your edit at first.

The second pixel layout will have more aliasing Id imagine, compared to the first?

So basically we want the highest pixel density (proxied by resolution for a given screen size) and the highest pixel size within that.

Soldato
Potentially you could see more apparent aliasing yeah, will be less of an issue the higher the resolution of course so probably not so much of a concern with these newer headsets.

So basically we want the highest pixel density (proxied by resolution for a given screen size) and the highest pixel size within that.

Yeah basically. Pixel density or pixels per degree gives us the visual fidelity and sharpness we want, while pixel size (or more accurately fill factor) gives us the lack of SDE we want.

Until you can get down to sizes where the eye cannot resolve the size of the space between pixels, there will always be some screen door apparent in the right conditions even with high resolutions.

Soldato
What kind of pc specs are people expecting to use with the G2?

These are the secs from HP, obviously it'll depend on what games you are looking to run though.

System Requirements Recommended minimum workstation specifications:

Processor:

• Intel Core i5, i7,

• Intel Xeon E3-1240 v5, equivalent or better.

• AMD Ryzen 5 equivalent or better
Memory: 8 GB RAM or more

Video out: DisplayPort 1.3

USB ports: 1x USB 3.0 Type C

Power: USB Type C with power delivery or included power adapter

Operating system: Windows 10 May 2019 update or later

Graphics: DX12 capable graphics

Cards that typically run Reverb at full resolution:

Consumer:
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080,

• NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

• NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER,

• NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070,

• NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER,

• NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080,

• NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER,

• NVIDIA GeForce 2080 Ti

• AMD Radeon RX 5700,

• AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT,

• AMD Radeon 7

Workstation:
  • NVIDIA Quadro P5200

• NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000

• NVIDIA Quadro RTX 5000

• NVIDIA Quadro RTX 6000

• NVIDIA Quadro RTX 8000

• AMD Radeon Pro WX 8200

• AMD Radeon Pro WX 9200

• AMD Radeon Pro W5700

Cards that typically run Reverb at half resolution:

Consumer:
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060

• NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660

• NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660ti

• NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

• NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060

• AMD Radeon RX 580

• AMD Radeon RX 5500XT

• AMD Radeon RX 590

• AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT

• AMD Radeon RX Vega56

• AMD Radeon RX Vega64
Workstation:
  • NVIDIA Quadro P3200

• NVIDIA Quadro P4000

• NVIDIA Quadro P4200

• NVIDIA Quadro P5000

• NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000
  • AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100

Associate
Okie doke thank you.

I currently have a Ryzen 3600 32GB RAM and did have a 2070S however that has been returned as faulty. Hoping to go the latest AMD GPU which should be plenty for my needs. My main purpose of VR would be for Flight Sim 2020, I feel like the G2 would be better suited (and supported by MS/ASOBO) but don’t want to get involved in it if the pc can’t run it!

Soldato
Okie doke thank you.

I currently have a Ryzen 3600 32GB RAM and did have a 2070S however that has been returned as faulty. Hoping to go the latest AMD GPU which should be plenty for my needs. My main purpose of VR would be for Flight Sim 2020, I feel like the G2 would be better suited (and supported by MS/ASOBO) but don’t want to get involved in it if the pc can’t run it!

MSFS runs low FPS on well-spec'd PC's now. I haven't seen any 4k (reverb is 4k-ish) benchmarks that got anywhere near 90 FPS.

Microsoft will need to do some serious "optimizing" before any hardware can run FS at 90 FPS.

Associate
MSFS runs low FPS on well-spec'd PC's now. I haven't seen any 4k (reverb is 4k-ish) benchmarks that got anywhere near 90 FPS.

Microsoft will need to do some serious "optimizing" before any hardware can run FS at 90 FPS.

Yeah it’s not the best at the moment, so really 90fps is the minimum a game should be running to give a fluid VR experience? Maybe we are a long way off VR for Flight sim at present then.

Soldato
Yeah it’s not the best at the moment, so really 90fps is the minimum a game should be running to give a fluid VR experience? Maybe we are a long way off VR for Flight sim at present then.

It probably varies from person to person. I can "manage" down to around 80 FPS on my reverb on my racing sims, but 60fps is a no-go for me. Incidentally, I discovered this when I tried to run ACC on my reverbs using the same settings as I had ran with my Oculus Rift CV1 and windows automatically locked my Reverb to 60 FPS when it failed to hold 90 FPS.

The fact that 60 FPS is a kind of automatic "fallback" frame rate in WMR means that someone thought that 60 FPS was feasible under some circumstances...for some people. Maybe MSFS lends itself to the 60 FPS frame rate better than racing simulators.

Soldato
Flight sim should be perfectly acceptable at 45fps reprojected to 90... so all you really need to do is tweak settings to hit a reliable 45fps.

Obviously a true 90fps is better, but it should be pretty playable using reprojection in my opinion.

Reverb G2 does also have the option to run in half resolution mode, but obviously things won’t look as crisp and clear.

Last edited:
Associate
Should be getting the g2 in the first wave in November. However, currently only running a gtx 1070, with a 3080 on preorder, but not looking likely this year.

Hope it's good enough to make use. I didn't anticipate the PC uograde taking this long!

Associate
Should be getting the g2 in the first wave in November. However, currently only running a gtx 1070, with a 3080 on preorder, but not looking likely this year.

Hope it's good enough to make use. I didn't anticipate the PC uograde taking this long!
I don't think any of us did brother, the 3080 situation is crazy. You should be able to run it in half res until the 3080 comes.

The question is for me: Do I wait for the 3080 to drop after I finally get the Reverb delivered, so that I can get the full effect of the visuals - or go ahead with the current card at half res as soon as the G2 arrives..... I am not a patient man.
With no idea when I'll get the 3080, half res looks likely for me too.

Associate
Saying all this - has anyone heard any news form Systemactive yet? With my chats with them a few weeks ago, the shipment should have left the factories by now. On their website, they are still saying that first week of November for deliveries. However, the guy I chat to at Systemactive has been very helpful and always tries to update me as to progress - but he has been oddly quiet since the shipping date has been and gone....

Associate
I don't think any of us did brother, the 3080 situation is crazy. You should be able to run it in half res until the 3080 comes.

The question is for me: Do I wait for the 3080 to drop after I finally get the Reverb delivered, so that I can get the full effect of the visuals - or go ahead with the current card at half res as soon as the G2 arrives..... I am not a patient man.
With no idea when I'll get the 3080, half res looks likely for me too.
Think my 3080 should come before the g2,
My 1070 is flagging in the quest 2, very poor performance in certain games,
If this g2 does arrive before the 3080 think I will leave it in the box until i have both lol

Associate
Think my 3080 should come before the g2,
My 1070 is flagging in the quest 2, very poor performance in certain games,
If this g2 does arrive before the 3080 think I will leave it in the box until i have both lol
That's probably the sensible thing. I really hope you get the 3080 before the G2 drops - that will be a good time!
I don't think I'll be that lucky - I ordered a Gigabyte Eagle 3080, and less than 15 have been shipped since launch.

Associate
That's probably the sensible thing. I really hope you get the 3080 before the G2 drops - that will be a good time!
I don't think I'll be that lucky - I ordered a Gigabyte Eagle 3080, and less than 15 have been shipped since launch.
Same here with the eagle, 57th in the queue,
Seen yesterday 50-60ish cards expected over next few weeks so who knows,
Only just put order in for g2 so from what I read I think I'm looking at December for the headset

Back
Top Bottom