HTC Androids Horizon

Soldato
Hi all,

So I've currently got an iPhone 3G but am looking to make the jump to Android in the coming months. I really like the look of the HTC phones, they seem really well built and great devices to use.

So the question is - what's coming up? The Pyramid is looking interesting, but will it be out in this country? And on what sort of timescale?

Any other upcoming devices I should be keeping an eye on?

Thanks! :)

Soldato
The answer is most worryingly nothing for HTC.

Samsung, Motorola seem to be the 2 to watch for new Android handsets.
HTC really don't have anything on the immediate horizon thats looks better than the HTC's DHD.

Soldato
As above really, its kinda worrying that HTC havent done anything yet that gets them in with the top competition. Hopefully they will announce something shortly but so far theres no rumours of anything coming.

Soldato
The HTC Pyramid is likely to be announced over the next few days I believe, and I would imagine it will come in one version or another over here like almost all their other models.

As to how good it'll be, who knows, I'd like to see some benches of the Adreno 220 GPU Vs Tegra 2/Mali 400/SGX543 in the competing phones, I think over the next years or 2 the GPU will become more important on android (partially for gaming, partially for UI transitions which started in Gingerbread)

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys :) I'll see if anything interesting is announced at CTIA.

The Pyramid looks really nice and if we're going to get it over here, I think that's what I'll hold out for.

Soldato
Front looks good:

htc_render-580x345.jpg

Rear...weird/tacky

AMG

AMG

Soldato
I dealt it would be being a HTC...tacky and HTC don't seem to go togther. all thier phones seem to be very well built particaly the legand ( looks like the salsa is taken over the legand)

Soldato
OP
The front does look really good. I'm not entirely decided yet but I quite like the look of the back too actually.

If the phone is well built and has good specs and does everything I want, I won't let the design of the rear put me off too much.

I've had my iPhone in a case since I've had it - do people normally keep their HTCs in cases out of interest?

Soldato
OP
Good point. Well, if the real thing is anything like that then I won't be complaining. I really like the flush camera on a back - don't like the idea of it protruding much.

It's quite a big bigger than my iPhone too, but I think I could manage that.

Caporegime
The front does look really good. I'm not entirely decided yet but I quite like the look of the back too actually.

If the phone is well built and has good specs and does everything I want, I won't let the design of the rear put me off too much.

I've had my iPhone in a case since I've had it - do people normally keep their HTCs in cases out of interest?

No, most people don't. Phones are meant to be used and small enough to fit in pockets without issue. What's the point of a manufacturer making a phone less than a cm thick if the consumer sficks a massive ugly leather case around it. They may as well save us some money and just give us a thick slab of plastic to put into the case.:p

Soldato
OP
That looks like the real thing..
http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/22/htc-pyramid-turns-around-shows-us-a-qhd-visage/

Seems more like it.. 1.2Ghz Dual Core, just wish it had Tegra 2 or better graphics..

Yeah that's looking very nice. How much of an issue is the graphics likely to be? Is the Tegra etc GPUs really that much better?

I also am not concerned about the 3D display either. So I think I'll be going for the Pyramid rather than the Evo 3D.

Fair point about the cases. I probably won't have a case on my new phone then. How about screen protectors? How easy are modern phone screens to scratch?

Man of Honour
Fair point about the cases. I probably won't have a case on my new phone then. How about screen protectors? How easy are modern phone screens to scratch?

They aren't very easy to scratch, even if they aren't Gorilla glass they are still usually very resistant.

You'll never catch me using a screen protector, horrible things.

Associate
The thing I'm concerned about is this 3D display crap - stop ramming useless technology into these things and just give us more memory, more storage and a faster CPU - NO 3D!

i dunno , sense ui with 3d effects (if thats the case) could be great for aesthetics, apart from gaming, there is nothing else really that has to be faster in this point in time, certainly not browsing. making calls, texting etc....

if its only 3d in films / games, then is not a feature i would use as i only watch films on a telly like i only game on a pc , ( bar wordfued)

in that case i would agree with you.

but the whole sense / stock android ui in 3d could be really nice looking and much more pleasing to use

Associate
The thing I'm concerned about is this 3D display crap - stop ramming useless technology into these things and just give us more memory, more storage and a faster CPU - NO 3D!

I couldn't agree more!
Manufactures have ploughed so much money in to 3D now can't let it go, from reading around the net it seems not everyone is bothered about 3D.
I remember reading something a while ago where they surveyed a couple of thousand people in Japan (I think it was) and nearly 70% said they didn't want 3D and we know what they are like fo early adopters of tech.

Back
Top Bottom