***HTC Magic Thread***

I think the Cyanogen mod is optimised to work with a swap file. I followed the instructions above to enable the swap file and it seems a lot smoother, browsing especially.

Have also used the setcpu app to overclock the CPU, running much better now.

I think the Cyanogen mod is optimised to work with a swap file. I followed the instructions above to enable the swap file and it seems a lot smoother, browsing especially.

Have also used the setcpu app to overclock the CPU, running much better now.

isnt the cpu already OC'd in Cyan already?

Last edited:
Sorry, I don't see what the fuss is all about. I now have my SD card partitioned, and swap file enabled, yet it isn't all that much faster, and it's still quite "boring" to use, and not all that much quicker.

Anyone tried the Hero ROM? Or is there a Hero theme?

Sorry, I don't see what the fuss is all about. I now have my SD card partitioned, and swap file enabled, yet it isn't all that much faster, and it's still quite "boring" to use, and not all that much quicker.

Anyone tried the Hero ROM? Or is there a Hero theme?

not a fan of the Hero UI, i much prefer stock. ive not seen a good Hero theme yet though

Last edited:
I agree the Sense UI isn't as good as the stock one.

Tried the OC widget but no noticeable change in speed, now have a space for a widget on my main home screen... anyone got any good suggestions?

Don't think so. Why don't you want to root?
I'm not sure tbh, I've always been the sort to fiddle with my tech in such a manner.
I did tell myself that I'd consider it after the donut update, if the phone still wasn't quite up to scratch, but for some reason that's changed to me waiting for eclair to drop before deciding.
I'm also wary that with each cyanogen release there seems to be bugs, plus I'm not entirely comfortable with the (albeit small) possiblity of bricking my handset!

Convince me!

Well I was like you, firstly stumped by being unable to root but then it made me think why am I bothered. And i'm still not 100% convinced. The Cyanogen ROM is nice, quicker, slick etc... The thing that I like the most is that my Apps are now installed on my SD rather than the internal memory. This, along with the swap partition, makes the phone much quicker.

Also knowing that any further app installs will not slow my phone down is a big plus. So whilst i'm not 100% convinced it is a 'must do', I am glad I have done it. Plus I'm a geek!!!

EDIT: Also you get to try stuff that is back ported from 2.0+ like the multi touch pinch in the browser and different contacts apps which look and work much better than the stock 1.6 stuff.

He said he's going to do another update. But it will go quiet as the latest version of it is good. :)

Reminds me, must put my old magic on the bay, and the dock.... :)

is anyone having an issue where the phone seems to load up loads of processes.. even when ive not used the app?

i turn the phone on and there's like 10 processes (using quick system info app) running and the phone is slow. im guessing its due to the 96mb swap ive got but its quite annoying :/

are we talking apps or processes here? I don't know "quick system info" but it may be showing you processes aswell as apps in which case get Taskiller and check for open apps instead. These are your only concern.

Back
Top Bottom