***HTC Magic Thread***

hey guys.

ive recently picked up a HTC Magic (Vodafone uk, unlocked) and attempted to downgrade with one click rooter.. after trawling through forums i found that im a HBOOT-1.33.0004 (SAPP10000) : Sapphire PVT 32B board.

i saw Alfie's poster earlier about flashing it to CyanogenMod. can i just follow that guide now and im sorted?

im sort of knew to the Android community and ive been getting blagged all week by what im reading :/

any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Just do it mate, It's dead easy if you follow my guide. Just remember to use the latest version of Cyanogen, not the one I linked to. We would all recommend you partition your SD, so install the amon ra recovery instead of the cyanogen one. If you have specific questions just ask.

The one click method IS NOT AN OPTION for our version of the magic if you're on 1.6, something people on other forums fail to comprehend.

Good luck.

ill give it a go tomorrow. i assume i install amon ra at the end, doing this method

Copy recovery-RA-sapphire-v1.5.2G.img to the root of your sdcard
start the terminal app
$su (not required if you have root already)
#mount -a
#flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-sapphire-v1.5.2G.img

will my phone be rooted as a result of flashing to cyano?

all done, easy stuff! thanks for the help.

as for amon ra.. i have a 2gb micro sd card installed. should i create the partitions and do a backup? the sd card already has a backup on it from the procedure, im guessing its my original vodafone rom so ill keep that on my computer.

update

done i think.. i created all the partitions but im not sure if its ext3 or 4. is there a way in amon_ra recovery to show a list of my partitions?

what i did in amon_ra recovery:

1. go through the partition routine, set the swap to 96, the ext2 to 512 and the rest other
2. did the option ex2 to ex3
3. did the optiion ex3 to ex4

is that the corrrect way?

Last edited:
all done, easy stuff! thanks for the help.

as for amon ra.. i have a 2gb micro sd card installed. should i create the partitions and do a backup? the sd card already has a backup on it from the procedure, im guessing its my original vodafone rom so ill keep that on my computer.

update

done i think.. i created all the partitions but im not sure if its ext3 or 4. is there a way in amon_ra recovery to show a list of my partitions?

what i did in amon_ra recovery:

1. go through the partition routine, set the swap to 96, the ext2 to 512 and the rest other
2. did the option ex2 to ex3
3. did the optiion ex3 to ex4

is that the corrrect way?

perfect

You need to activate the swap partition. I fell for this for a while before I realised. I used adb and some files but try Swapper off the market. I think that'll activate your partition (but don't quote me).

This is how I did it

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=4817223&postcount=2851

done!

used swapper (on marketplace as droidswap) set it to use swap partition and activated it.

thanks.. my god is it running fast now! just found out, opening up droidswap again will turn off your swap so you'll have to reactivate it

update

it seems swapper looses it settins when i reboot which is annoying so i used the userinit you suggested and added it via termial, worked great. many thanks!

Last edited:
cyanogen uses the swap by default, not sure what you boys are up to!

i followed your guide and it was saying 0 for me. maybe you have to partition the card before you install cyno for it to use the partition? i did it after when i intalled amon ra.

i did partition it once again after it installed cyno.. forgot why i did it. maybe that messed it up... who knows

Last edited:
i just typed "free" into terminal.. if you've got 0 swap then you've got...0 swap.

phones running great now i have swap active, apart from 1 issue. Now my phone has 96mb swap it seems to load up every app (process) when i boot it up. can this be fixed or adjusted?

I have 0. How do I enable this without using swapper (droid swap) which doesn't appear to work after rebooting?

1) downloaded the userinit.zip from here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=4817223&postcount=2851 as ElliorR said

2)extract it to the root of your SD

open up terminal
su
mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
cp /sdcard/userinit.sh /system/sd
cp /sdcard/user.conf /system/sd
chmod 755 /system/sd/user.conf
chmod 755 /system/sd/userinit.sh
reboot

3) check "free" in terminal again

4) win

Last edited: