Huawei p30

Soldato
Yeah it's not just phones, basically it's the Consumer Rights Act 2015 which gives you an option to return an item if you buy it away from the sellers premises within 14 days (most retailers voluntarily extend that to 28 days or beyond). Doesn't apply to in-store purchases since you can inspect the item there and then.

Some smaller resellers can be finicky though with requirements as the law only states that the item needs to be in resellable condition. Some will accept it as long as phone looks brand new, others like in this case seem to be difficult about the smallest things.

They are being bit funny though, my P30 Pro was wrapped in wrap around plastic type thing and phone is unusable with it on so not sure how you can inspect and try phone with it on. I just wrapped it back up in it when I sent mine off.

Soldato
Yeah it's not bad, but my biggest issue was the colour management on the main camera sensor. Colours were all over the place in harsh daylight. Video is also on a poor side compared to the other big boys like Apple and Samsung.

EDIT: Just got the email from Fonehouse that return was processed and successful, no issue with me taking the protective film off the phone (which I put back).

Last edited:
Associate
Well I have been using the P30 Pro for a week now. Came from the S9.

I think it is a beautiful beast. It looks stunning and performs equally as well. The Camera and the battery are incredible and I actually quite like EMUI. Every UI has its flaws.

Very, very happy. If performances maintains I could see me sticking with this phone for a good few years.

Soldato
Liking this phone so far, received it yesterday. Had a helluva faff moving from iOS to Android in terms of backing up SMS texts and WhatsApp conversations but I'm also really liking just connecting the phone up to a PC and dragging/dropping stuff into folders instead of having to jump through hoops with iTunes or iFunBox.

Having been an iOS user for many a year I'm finding the change to Android a bit fiddly to work my way around but I'll get used to it.

Associate
Liking this phone so far, received it yesterday. Had a helluva faff moving from iOS to Android in terms of backing up SMS texts and WhatsApp conversations but I'm also really liking just connecting the phone up to a PC and dragging/dropping stuff into folders instead of having to jump through hoops with iTunes or iFunBox.

Having been an iOS user for many a year I'm finding the change to Android a bit fiddly to work my way around but I'll get used to it.

Hello mate how bad was the change from iOS? Did you get to port across
iCloud stuff also ?

Soldato
Hello mate how bad was the change from iOS? Did you get to port across
iCloud stuff also ?

I've not ported across my photos, videos and documents from iCloud, they are still in there and I was planning just to access all that from my desktop when required. I downloaded Google Drive for iOS and backed everything else up to a Google Drive then accessed that on the new phone to restore contacts etc. The biggest hassles were backing up SMS texts and WhatsApp chats, some of those I really didn't want to lose. The WhatsApp I *think* I have sussed out and backed up but because I chopped and changed back and forth between my old iPhone and new P30 with verification of numbers within the WhatsApp application itself, I've been locked out for 8 hours before they will re-send a verfication code. I'll know if its all worked later when I get the new code sent.

The SMS thing was a royal pain. There was a small program called iSMS2Droid which did it in minutes but its been taken down off the Google Play Store (there's an explanation online about why) so I ended up having to faff around with converting the backup of the chat archive from my last iPhone backup using DB Browser SQLite, then it started talking about having to drop that into an Excel spreadsheet, modify columns and stuff and I lost the will to live! So eventually someone I know suggested I download the latest iSMS2Droid apk from the web (they are still available - just make sure you grab it from a reputable source and check the MD5 Checksum matches the original), installed that and it worked perfectly. All SMS texts back on the phone.

Other than that it was fairly straightforward although I'm going to take some time to get used to the UI as its a big departure from iOS, but not necessarily in a bad way.

Soldato
Folks who are a lot more up to speed with Android and the P30 than I am - couple of things......

1. How do you take a screenshot?
2. I had a black bar that I was somehow able to get up with a swipe at the bottom of the screen which had a number of kinda quick launch icons on it, one of them was the torch. I can't work out how I got it to come up though?
3. Can I make the clock on the home and lock screen larger or use a different type of clock?

Cheers!

Associate
Folks who are a lot more up to speed with Android and the P30 than I am - couple of things......

1. How do you take a screenshot?
2. I had a black bar that I was somehow able to get up with a swipe at the bottom of the screen which had a number of kinda quick launch icons on it, one of them was the torch. I can't work out how I got it to come up though?
3. Can I make the clock on the home and lock screen larger or use a different type of clock?

Cheers!

1 double knock on screen with knuckle

not sure on other lol

Soldato
1 double knock on screen with knuckle

not sure on other lol

Sussed them all out now, getting a bit more used to the phone as the days go by.

Can someone recommend a decent case and screen protector? I'm kinda thinking a transparent/clear case but not sure. There are literally thousands on the bay or the rainforest place and I'm not sure which are to marry/snog/avoid. :p

Soldato
Is it P30 or P30 Pro that you have? I've a Spigen Rugged Armour case for the latter that I don't need anymore since I returned my phone.

Soldato
Hi all,

Updated my P30 Pro today - software update to 9.1.0.185. Was about 4Gb in size. I can't see it's made any specific changes though? EMUI 10 on the horizon as is Android Q I believe. :cool:

Soldato
So in an interesting twist, my dad needed a new phone and regular Huawei P30 was on a good deal so got him one of those.

Probably an overkill for what he needs but at least it should serve him for a few years. Had a quick play with it while setting things up and screen on my S10e does feel nicer in terms of colours, just like I felt before about the P30 Pro that I returned.

Ultrawide is also quite a bit wider on the Sammy, but of course can't match the versatility of the Huawei with x3 optical and x5 hybrid zoom. Won't be able to do any in-depth comparisons but colours and exposure still seema little off to me on the Huawei from a quick comparison. Massive improvement from before though and photos do look a little sharper compared to the Samsung. For some reason they have removed IOS from the main snapper on this compared to the Pro version so not sure how much implication that will have on quality (in fact all 3 lenses are different from Pro in small ways).

Other than that it's really fast, charges even faster and battery already seems massively better than my S10e but then again I do have the lemon Exynos :p

ajf

ajf

Soldato
Just got a P30 having decided to give Android another go!
One thing I am missing from Apple are the lock screen widgets. On the Apple you can swipe right and get a load of widgets for installed apps, which I find very useful.
Hue has one for example so I can turn lights Ona don off without unlocking phone.
I thought widgets were a big Android point, but can’t seem to find a way to replicate this?

Back
Top Bottom