Huawei p30

Soldato
There does seem to be quite a bit of stuttering on 4k although that's not something I've tested fully yet. There is supposedly an update coming in May that's bringing video recording improvements. I have found stabilisation really good at 1080p though.

The camera software does seem to have some real brain fart moments with lighting and after solid 48 hours with the phone, I've encountered quite a few scenarios where it does this so it's not an isolated incident. Here's some examples and side by side shots with the S7 Edge:

Here it just goes nuclear holocaust cold, it's a semi overcast day with a relatively strong sun popping in and out of the clouds around noon.

N1ipZT8.jpg

I try to see what AI boost can do because there's a huge amount of colour lost. What I got is unnatural colours and over sharpening is not helping.

R1cSTHB.jpg

Here's S7 Edge as a comparison. Colours aren't brilliant either but at least it's picking them up.

c7g9Umv.jpg

UoHmoS6.jpg

Here's another scene, AI just makes it look like I've most colours apart from green turned off.

54zFTlT.jpg

Turning it off just kills the colours.

wBCT6e9.jpg

This is me actually trying to get something that's mildly true to life and playing around with the exposure slider and finally getting a semi decent result.

4MKWe4H.jpg

Here's the S7 in the same scene.

gDxZ9cs.jpg

Not sure if I just got used to Samsung over saturation of photos and being overcritical but I've a lot more examples I can post later. What do people think?

Associate
That's a shame, I was planning on buying one this week.
Think I'll stick to the oneplus 5T little bit longer.
Yeah it's a shame. Photos can be stunning the night shots and zoom head and shoulders above the competition. Rang EE earlier cancelled my upgrade. Will wait to see if the new iPhones have multiple lenses. Videos on iPhone always good 4K/60 so combined with multiple lenses could be magic

Associate
Yeah it's a shame. Photos can be stunning the night shots and zoom head and shoulders above the competition. Rang EE earlier cancelled my upgrade. Will wait to see if the new iPhones have multiple lenses. Videos on iPhone always good 4K/60 so combined with multiple lenses could be magic

The new iPhone wait is approx 6-7 months?

Soldato
Saved me a lot of money. Those s7 shots are much more appealing to me.
Only reason I was interested in this was cam !

I'm honestly wondering if I'm doing something wrong with the camera but I'm finding it hard work to get a photo that I like. I just point and shoot with my old Samsung and get the photo I want. Here's a few more examples:

It just seems to suffer from chronic over exposure in sunny conditions, all these taken on auto (AI off on P30 Pro at this point).

K4uBSKx.jpg

S7

Zjmo4NK.jpg

P30 Pro again looks lifeless

n1KgnxD.jpg

S7

WXMDTMr.jpg

This is me around Kielder Water the next day and AI is off as I simply found it too unpredictable. Actually like the wide angle colours here, Sun is pretty strong and lovely green colours around everywhere.

KgdMLhM.jpg

This is what I get form main camera

JX7Nqf4.jpg

Now I walk to the right of where the shot is taken and it seems camera just doesn't know what's going on and colour balance is thrown out the window again on wide angle

mvbS7Uz.jpg

Main

2Db9ss3.jpg

Soldato
Hard to gauge my signal as I've switched providers.

Is there any way to completely kill HiTouch? Every time I try to zoom in in Snapchat on something, I'm getting the Terms and Conditions to get started with it because I used two fingers on an image to zoom in and it's the same command to launch it. Don't see it in Apps settings anywhere.

EDIT: Found it in the smart assistance part of the settings, boy was that annoying.

Last edited:
Soldato
Noticed something about the x5 zoom mode on camera app, it seems to switch between main camera and actual telephoto lens depending on conditions.

Guessing it just uses all 40mp and digitally zooms into that when main sensor is used if light is too low for the telephoto lens.

Battery so far has been brilliant and 40W charger is crazy fast so no complaints there.

Honestly though I'm on a fence about this phone which is surprising because I really wanted to love it. I'll give it until Thursday to see how I get on with it before I consider a return.

Soldato
Yeah I believe it's just main sensor that has the RYYB filter as other lenses are as rubbish as competitor phones in the dark.

Some reviews have mentioned that the colours on the wide angle are more vibrant and there's definitely a great deal of over exposure on the main lens when the sun is strong. I've found myself fighting with the exposure slider on every shot over the weekend to get a semi decent result.

Auto mode, point and click result

4xOyELL.jpg

Auto mode but with the exposure slider taken down to -1.5

A6A0hW8.jpg

I've just completely written off AI for "greenery" scenes (it tells you what mode it's selecting) as it doesn't look natural and vivid colour setting isn't great either. Smooth colours setting can be decent at times which I've been using more when it's failing to pick up colours.

Indoor shots mostly seem good and portrait mode is great too but while the colours are fine, it does have issues with white balance at times. I can go in the Pro mode and select the correct one myself but I've almost never had that problem on the S7.

So here we have relatively strong sun coming through some red drapes on the window to the right giving everything in the room a red hue. Here the auto mode goes completely overboard on the red.

XZ9OYUg.jpg

Can't get rid of the overpowering reds so I just restart the camera app and this time it completely gets rid of them and produces this. Now result is decent but it's nothing what the room actually looked like, I didn't keep the shot on the wide angle but that did produce something in between that was more true to life.

cKdE9Hc.jpg

Back
Top Bottom