Huel: The Future of Food ..

Caporegime
I made my first lot today - Black Vanilla with 400ml of cashew nut milk. Probably just the right consistency - I was actually semi-chewing the stuff rather than just drinking it. It felt like a complete meal and took well over 30 minutes to drink it all down. The taste was quite sweet, maybe too sweet, like drinking cold Horlicks! Looking forward to the choco one tomorrow.

Soldato
Wow, that's a lot of milk! Maybe try with more water, just to check? I can't imagine I'd like it as much with that much milk in myself, but of course each to their own :) Does anyone else use that much milk? Am I missing out on something? :p

Caporegime
Wow, that's a lot of milk! Maybe try with more water, just to check? I can't imagine I'd like it as much with that much milk in myself, but of course each to their own :) Does anyone else use that much milk? Am I missing out on something? :p

No, it was too much milk in the end. I feel a bit sickly now. :D Tomorrow will try 200ml milk + 200ml water. See what that's like.

Soldato
Bear in mind, I think Almond Milk has a thickening agent in it, so it used to make mine too gloopy. I think I prefer it with just water. Around 400-400ml depending how much Huel is going on. Then ice, of course :)

Caporegime
Bear in mind, I think Almond Milk has a thickening agent in it, so it used to make mine too gloopy. I think I prefer it with just water. Around 400-400ml depending how much Huel is going on. Then ice, of course :)

I think it depends on what brand you use. Alpro contains extra muck but the Plenish one I've used is nothing but water, nuts and salt.

Man of Honour
Innocent Almond Milk seems to be the best but also the priciest, my go to is usually the M&S own brand. Like Alpro the M&S own brand has some added emulsifiers to stop it separating. It doesn't seem to be a problem with Vanilla but I have noticed the Chocolate one needs a lot more water if I mix in almond milk.

Caporegime
Innocent Almond Milk seems to be the best but also the priciest, my go to is usually the M&S own brand. Like Alpro the M&S own brand has some added emulsifiers to stop it separating. It doesn't seem to be a problem with Vanilla but I have noticed the Chocolate one needs a lot more water if I mix in almond milk.

Yeah, the Plenish is similar to Innocent. I only got it because it's got a £1 off currently.

MKJUqLJ.png

Soldato
^handy comparison!

Alpro is normally my choice (currently have 3 in the fridge), especially when they're £1 off in the supermarkets. Should I be bothered about the extra ingredients compared to Plenish for example?

Soldato
Yeah, I'm generally using Alpro Light for everything these days instead of milk. Tested a lot of milk substitutes and ended up on this.

EOvhJoT.png

Happy to take advice :) I really like the Koko Unsweetened Coconut too.

Caporegime
Haven't been really enjoying Huel so far but I guess that's more issues with the way I've been preparing it. Today I opened my bag of Black chocolate and it was love at first sip. Way better than the vanilla. Now I just need to get the other half of my diet under control - still eating big bags of Walkers Max Strong and Fry's chocolate bars at night. :( :(

Soldato
I'm loving V3.0 of Huel. I got Berry flavour yesterday, the first time I've had v3.0 of that and wow, soooo much nicer than the previous version IMO. Again, just with water and ice, no milk.

Man of Honour
I assume the people using ice blend it? What difference does it make to the taste?

Soeaking of alternative millk, I accidentally bought sweetened almond milk and it doesn’t mix well at all with Vanilla 3.0. I’m not the biggest fan of very sweetly things, and together they’re sickly.

I think I’ve settled on either Oatly oat milk, or M&S unsweetened almond milk for mixing with Huel. I do get a lump or two at the bottom with M&S almond + Vanilla, but a little extra water at the end and it breaks down fine. Currently on 2x3 scoops for (proper) breakfast and a late lunch.

Back
Top Bottom