• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Huge Intel and DDR5 problem needs fixing!

Associate
i understand its a problem.. bo realistcally...
since 16gb sticks are standard for ddr5 how many people will need more than 32?
i'm sure it will get better with time ... as the platform matures..

Soldato
So much so that you bought 3 of their CPUs. That'll teach 'em.
I can't stand nVidia, they're an awful company. But I've still got a 3090, as it was the best card for my use case.

Being critical of a company and its practices doesn't mean you can't or won't ever buy their products.

Caporegime
I can't stand nVidia, they're an awful company. But I've still got a 3090, as it was the best card for my use case.

Being critical of a company and its practices doesn't mean you can't or won't ever buy their products.

Strange to go on and buy a CPU in three consecutive generations though after “hating” their practices, particularly when AMD had competitive products for all three of those barring maybe the 8700k. Perhaps FL Studio really needed the 10900k.

The GPU sector is a bit different as nVidia has a clear advantage in terms of feature set and a huge performance lead if you use ray tracing. If the use case also involves work/productivity tasks, then it’s even more understandable.

I just found it a bit odd with Gondar as he’ll give advice that’s completely at odds with what he’s just told us in this thread. That said, I don’t have any hatred for any of the companies mentioned, so it’s hard to grasp that mindset.

Last edited:
Associate
Strange to go on and buy a CPU in three consecutive generations though after “hating” their practices, particularly when AMD had competitive products for all three of those barring maybe the 8700k. Perhaps FL Studio really needed the 10900k.

The GPU sector is a bit different as nVidia has a clear advantage in terms of feature set and a huge performance lead if you use ray tracing. If the use case also involves work/productivity tasks, then it’s even more understandable.

I just found it a bit odd with Gondar as he’ll give advice that’s completely at odds with what he’s just told us in this thread. That said, I don’t have any hatred for any of the companies mentioned, so it’s hard to grasp that mindset.
10900k was good for FL studio because of low latency that monolithic design have and 10 cores which is good for multithread, Zen 1 had terrible latency, with Zen 2 they fixed that but still was slower than Intel, and with Zen 3 they perfected chiplet design so it had best single and multithread performance and i bought it immediately.

Permabanned
I really don't see this as an issue, but if it is deemed so then it should lead to product recalls.

I also don't think JayzTwoCents is the ideal white knight as made obvious by the video.

Soldato
Its called enabling XMP then wondering why the Intel platform - which supports XMP then boot loops. Ergo, its a problem.

wrong!! there are no 4x kits currently available as far as i am aware for the platform. Just because there are 4 slots it does not mean you need to fill them and if you do buy a low speed kit. Max supported is 128GB and this is/will be available in 2 dimms

**EDIT** i stand corrected-ish there is 1 kit available, a corsair 4x16gb kit rated at 4400mhz, this is on qvl for the z690 asus extreme

Last edited:
Man of Honour
wrong!! there are no 4x kits currently available as far as i am aware for the platform. Just because there are 4 slots it does not mean you need to fill them and if you do buy a low speed kit. Max supported is 128GB and this is/will be available in 2 dimms

**EDIT** i stand corrected-ish there is 1 kit available, a corsair 4x16gb kit rated at 4400mhz, this is on qvl for the z690 asus extreme

4400 is slow enough it would probably work in most boards.

"Intel shared this table with us.

If the motherboard has two memory slots total, then the maximum support is DDR5-4800 in any configuration.
If the motherboard has four memory slots total, then the maximum support is DDR5-4400 when two slots are filled with any memory.
If all four memory slots are filled, single rank memory will support up to DDR5-4000.
If all four memory slots are filled, dual-rank memory will support up to DDR5-3600.

So technically Intel listing memory support on Alder Lake as DDR5-4800 is a bit of a misdirection compared to previous launches. If we were to look at parity, two modules in a four-slot board, then really we’d be quoting DDR5-4400. Funnily enough, all of Intel’s benchmarks presented at this launch were run at DDR5-4400, as per specification. Kudos to the testing team to staying within those guidelines."

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16959/intel-innovation-alder-lake-november-4th/4

Associate
I don't think its a problem considering most people will prefer a single dual channel kit. Correct me if I'm wrong but if you require 64gb or above wouldn't a workstation/server better suit your needs?

Man of Honour
I don't think its a problem considering most people will prefer a single dual channel kit. Correct me if I'm wrong but if you require 64gb or above wouldn't a workstation/server better suit your needs?
It used to be more true, but nowadays desktop CPUs like the 12900K and 5950X are so powerful and HEDT is so ruinously expensive.

Associate
Anyone with half a brain (which I know excludes Jay) would have known that the very first desktop DDR5 platform was unlikely to be a winner when it comes to memory speeds and overclocking. X99 was an absolute dumpster fire when DDR4 first hit the market, struggling to run even 3000MHz reliably. Memory ICs, IMCs and motherboards will improve over time. Thanks to Z690 owners for beta testing.
Z690 and DDR4, 4x8GB 3200 running at 3600 no problem. More to do with RAM quality than chipset. Same RAM since gen one Ryzen, the excellent 8Pack B-die Samsung.

Soldato

Probably but bigger kits are coming anyway, 32gb and 64gb and even 128gb DDR5 ram sticks are coming

Soldato
I don't really see how its an Intel problem if their supported memory speed is 4800Mhz and it works with 4 sticks set to XMP. Motherboard and Memory manufacturers state higher memory speeds are supported so they are the ones that have the issue hence why they generally state how many sticks it is tested working with on their QVL.

You need the capacity, then you are limited to 4800Mhz for 4 x Sticks(you might get lucky and a higher speed works but that's down to the motherboard manufacturer support and your testing), You need speed and low latency, they you are limited in the capacity/amount of sticks you can install. It has been like that on most/all platforms I have integrated over the last few years. Memory capacity and speed has a huge burden on the CPU and there is a constant trade off between the 2.

Back
Top Bottom