Hull Fair 2008: Bungee Ride Rope Snapped!

wow, lucky for them they were not hurt

did you speak to them, offer them a copy of your photos?

No, everyone and their dog were crowding around them and I'm pretty sure they're fine. I'm offering the photos to the local papers - see what rate they give for freelance. They can keep the paper articles I suppose :p

What a lucky escape~
(It could have been worst if BOTH the ropes went whilst they were up)

It would be next to impossible for both ropes to snap at the same time, as when one snaps the tension is lost, so the second would not be subject to any force apart from the weight of the cage. The second rope could only snap if it were extremely worn down to a thread.

No, everyone and their dog were crowding around them and I'm pretty sure they're fine. I'm offering the photos to the local papers - see what rate they give for freelance. They can keep the paper articles I suppose :p

good idea

I suppose the priority was clearing up the mess in their knickers :D

It would be next to impossible for both ropes to snap at the same time, as when one snaps the tension is lost, so the second would not be subject to any force apart from the weight of the cage. The second rope could only snap if it were extremely worn down to a thread.

True, but my worst case scenario is where the cage ball is launched up and that's when both rope snaps. Leaving the ball freefalling into the platform or worst, the crowd.

I was at work one day and I was given the wrong ladders..

So I had to climb the drain pipe of the house I was robbing when it fell away from the building. I was hospitalised with concussion and needed several stitches to a wound on my head. As I was unfit to rob for several weeks, lawyers4u made sure I was given the right amount of compensation to meet my estimated income loss which I use to fund my heroin habit...

This has happened a number of times on this ride setup. screw going on one of them!

I've been googling around for accidents relating to such ride set ups and have come up with very poor results. Anyone found fatal or even other documented accounts of such rides going wrong?

Seems like google is filled with a man and his bungee rope, not specifically the rides. Seems like it's quite a rare freak incident.

From what I remember about Fairground stuff,

The operator of the jump could 'possibly' be prosecuted - if it's found he did not carry out the proper safety checks before it was used. There will 'usually' be an inspector (from the council' who has to issue a safety certificate every so often (usually every month) to say the ride meets all the Health and Safety at work requirements.

(This is usually issued after a backhander - even though the ride will be welded together, years old, and probably patched up in some way to hide the mechanical stress fractures) - (It may also state the ride may only carry a maximum of say 10 people, even though the owner has 20 on the go at once...... it can only be used 40 times a night, and must be checked every use - even though it's used 100 times and checked once a week)

Hmm, I highly doubt it'll be the weight of the users as the 2 girls on-board were probably no more than 10st each (only max of 2 onboard) It was the bungee rope that snapped, so I'm thinking there was something that cut / scratched it before the accident?

Still waiting for more news on that. Very interested.

Back
Top Bottom